[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tab.png (334 KB, 1894x864)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
What was browsing like before tabs?
>>
bad, but the internet itself was far more simple and less adhd inducing and used fewer resources.

toolbars were aids on your 800x600 laptop screen
>>
Cumbersome.

But people really didn't multitask as much back in the day anyways since you only had a small amount of screen real estate and bandwidth anyways.
Also much of the stuff you'd have running on the side like music or (lmao) video streaming wasn't really on the web so you ran it in a separate program.
>>
File: task bar.jpg (126 KB, 1024x768)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>102169506
We had good window management (before 'groups windows' shit was introduced). You could have 2 rows on the task bar, and place it at the side pr top of the screen. Which makes it identical to having 'tabs'.
>>
>>102169506
The internet wasn't full of sweats and tryhards back then, the skillcap was way lower so you could get away with one site at a time.
>>
>>102169583
>wasn't really on the web so you ran it in a separate program.
This is how it should be. If you want to retain sovl don't let your computer be a browser kiosk. Old technologies still exist and data hoarders will win in the end.
>>
>>102169506
Annoying and FIrefox was revolutionary for using them
>>
File: xfce_beav.png (1.02 MB, 1920x1080)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>102170243
my xfce taskbar has two rows
>>
>>102169506
People used bookmarks.
Nowadays I see plenty of idiots basically using tabs as bookmarks
>>
>>102169506
exactly the same, your 'tabs' were just windows you switched between in the task bar
>>102169560
>>102169583
>>102171089
>t. retards and children
>>102171305
this is a knower
>>
>>102169506
We listened to music in winamp, ICQ lived in the systray, and mirc only took up 1 window. You didn't need more than a few browser windows open.
>>
>>102171341
>exactly the same, your 'tabs' were just windows you switched between in the task bar
Yeah, nah. I clearly remember tabs in Opera being a clear improvement over the old SDI browser windows.
>>
awful as soon as I saw opera had that shit I got on that asap
>>
>>102171104
Well done, sir. I hate 'group windows by app' shit so much. They have even removed the ability to disabled it in winshit.
>>
>>102169560
> bad
All being equal yes, but in absolute terms, it was a paradise compared to the hell that is the modern web.
>>
>>102169506
I usually kept 2 or 3 firefox windows open
>>
Nobody cares about tabs back in the days for browsing, NOBODY. It happened fairly recently when sandboxes get normalized, something between 2005-2010. Before that one session can do everything. Same as multiscreens, dual screen or more screens was for professionals with CRTs, virtual screens for nerds.
>>102171305
Tabs can be pinned and saved as bookmarks tho. That's a perfectly sane way to go.
>>
>>102172841
>>102171341
>>102171305
>>102169583
>reddit spacing
>we wuz oldfags
>z-zoomers bad

least obvious retarded newfag
>>
Tabs were implemented by extensions pretty early on before implemented in the main browsers. I remember tabs being a thing since 2001 in Mozilla based browsers. Then Apple used tabs to promote the adoption of Safari. Before then most people were still on computers with modems and less than 100mb of ram.
>>
>>102169506
we had tabs since forever, it's called the taskbar
>>
>>102173718
by the way, why the fuck no browser ever has implemented an "open window in background instead of a tab" feature? middle-click opens a minimized window
>>
>>102171373
>we
meds
>>
we used bookmarks instead of leaving 200 tabs open
>>
>>102169506
We did have tabs, but they were on the taskbar.
>>
>>102169506
Largely the same, you'd just open multiple instances of the browser. The taskbar was your tab bar.
>>
>>102169506
the beauty of the pre-tab browser is that there was never any reason to switch tabs.

you simply typed in the name of the website you wanted to go to. and perhaps you had one or two other programs in the background, such as an instant messenger, an audio player, and particulary around 2004 or 2005, steam. But by that point, tabs became pretty common.
>>
>>102169506
Don't know, always used browsers with tabs, starting from Opera 3.4
>>
>>102169506
IE6 was extremely fast at opening new browser windows.

So you had tabs... but your tabs were the buttons on the task bar.
>>
>>102172330
I love it . my cinnamon desktop is grouped windows or window list depending on what cinnamon config I select in my menu.

xfce is a stacked window list because cinnamon can't do that.
>>
>>102169506
the tabs were all in your taskbar
>>
>>102169506
You just had multiple windows open.
>>
>>102169506
~2001 I installed Opera,
the first browser to support tabs
>>
When you want to open a new tab you click the quick launch icon, you'd have a very cluttered task bar or whatever it is called, then vista grouped similar windows in one icon solving that issue, then tabs superseded the windows multi window management
>>
>>102177073
my tabs are going inside your taskbar
>>
>>102170243
>>102171104
Window's had two rows as well? So what? Who cares?
>>
>>102173718
>>102174156
>>102174176
>>102177073
>bloat
>>
>>102169506
Not bad, just multiple windows. However, 4chan before the catalog, now that was painful
>>
I remember when I was a kid on sunday loading as much as flash games as possible to play it during the week using offline mode.
>>
>>102169506
I used to just have a couple of differernt windows open on my xp machine. Before that I was satisfied with just the one browser open. Nowadays I have like 50tabs open at any one time. Just things that I mean to get back to at some point but never do
>>
>>102170409
>data hoarders will win in the end
Based. I hope you are right man
>>
>>102169506
>What was browsing like before tabs?
IT WAS LIKE BEING 12 THINKING NEWGROUNDS WAS FUNNY LIVING IN THE SUBURBS LISTENING TO LINKIN PARK WATCHING DRAGONBALL Z DRINKING PEPSI WHILE PLAYING HALO CO-OP ON THE EASIEST SETTING DURING WHICH WE CONSUMED DORITOS AND LOOKED AT PAINTBALL GUNS ON EBAY IN INTERNET EXPLORER CONNECTED THROUGH AOL ON A 56K MODEM BEFORE HOPPING INTO OUR BALDING FATHERS' LATEST MIDLIFE-CRISIS-IMPULSE-SPONSORED JAPANESE-BUILT SUV TO HEAD TO THE MALL AND GET MORE SKATEBOARDING SHOES AND THIRD-RATE IRREGULAR LEVIS AND MOUNTAIN BIKE PARTS BEFORE HEADING HOME, VOTING DEMOCRAT AND MASTURBATING TO THE LATEST SEARS CATALOG WHILE HUFFING PAINT IN YOUR GARAGE BEFORE TALKING TO PEDOPHILES ON AIM PRETENDING TO BE WHATEVER CAMWHORE THEY'RE RANTING ABOUT ON MYSPACE WITH A MATRIX QUOTE/ANIME CHARACTER NAME/TRIPLE SIX-ASTERISK-PARENTHESES-SURROUNDED SCREENNAME BEFORE HEADING TO YOUR SUPPOSED "GOOD SCHOOL" IN THE MORNING TO BUY MORE POT TO SMOKE DURING YOUR COUNTER-STRIKE LAN PARTY WITH JIMMY AND THE REST OF HIS FRIENDS TAKING RITALIN AND ADDERALL AND PROZAC EIGHT TIMES A DAY BEFORE TAKING A CASUAL PASS AT LOCAL, STATE OR NATIONAL GOVERNMENTAL FIGURES, LEGISLATURE, OR STRUCTURE TO APPEAR EDGY AND INTELLIGENT IN FRONT OF YOUR BUDWEISER-SNEAKING, LIMP-WRISTED, NEAR-TO-COLUMBINE SOCIOPATHIC "DEEP" FRIENDS WHO PLAY THE VICTIM WHEN THEY START LOSING ARGUMENTS SIX DAYS BEFORE THEIR BOTCHED SUICIDE ATTEMPT SIMPLY BECAUSE SCHOOL TRAMP NUMBER TWELVE WOULDN'T GO UNDER THE BLEACHERS WITH THEM TO LET THEM GET TO SECOND BASE BEFORE THEIR THIRTEENTH BIRTHDAY.
>>
>>102171373
I really miss icq. It was perfect. Chatting with friends, was easy to find others online to chat with from your area or anywhere you wanted really. I met so many people online from that program, I havent been able to find anything like it since. Never used discord or dating apps so don't know if these are similar. But like anything good, it all gets taken away eventually.
>>
>>102169506
It was shit. Installing Firefox with tabs and extentions made the Internet so much better in 2005.
>>
>>102177463
WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE
>>
>>102177463
>what was browsing like before tabs?
It was like being 12 thinking newgrounds was funny living in the suburbs listening to linkin park watching dragonball z drinking pepsiwhile playing halo co-op on the easiest setting during which we consumed doritos and looked at paintball guns on ebayin internet explorer connected through aolon a 56K modem before hopping into our balding fathers’ latest midlife-crisis-impulse-sponsored japanesebuilt SUV to head to the mall and get more skateboarding shoes and third-rate irregular levis and mountain bike parts before heading home, voting democrat and masturbating to the latest sears catalog while huffing paint in your garage before talking to pedophiles on aim pretending to be whatever camwhore they’re ranting about on myspace with a matrix quote/Anime character nametriple six-asterisk-parentheses-surrounded screenname before heading to your supposed “good school” in the morning to buy more pot to smoke during your counter-strike lanparty with jimmyand the rest of his friends taking ritalin and adderall and prozac eight times a day before taking a casual pass at local, state or national governmental figures, legislature, or structure to appear edgy and intelligent in front of your budweiser-sneaking, limp-wristed, near-to-columbine sociopathic “deep” friends who play the victim when they start losing arguments six days before their botched suicide attempt simply because school tramp number twelve wouldn’t go under the bleachers with them to let them get to second base before their thirteenth birthday.
>>
>>102169506
There was mostly applications, so you were using the browser for query search, you jumped from website to website. Or open a new window. There was offline programs like Encarta, streaming wasn't a good choice yet for multimedia, so you had offline shit instead of using the browser. Thing is, there weren't a lot of web based applications, you had to use another program. That actually took a lot of time to overcome.
>>
>>102169506
it was like tv without remote control
>>
>>102174097
I'm not that anon but that's really how it was back then. I used AIM instead of ICQ because I was American but everything else is spot on. All my friends were the same.
>>
>>102172330
I prefer how applel does it, with a keyboard shortcut to switch applications as well as windows for the currently selected application.
Windows groups by window and when I switch to using windows, I find it to be a worse experience.
>>
>>102169506
We used to have things like Fluxbox's tabs to work around those limitations.
>>
>>102169506
Not that much different really, you just had 30 instances of IE grouped up in the taskbar and that was your "tabs".
>>
>>102169506
instead of tabs you had separate windows, so you had "tabs" in your taskbar instead
>>
>>102169506
it felt like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1IqqlW1U4k
you had to tie an onion to your belt otherwise the dialup modem wouldn't connect and you'd rack up a large telephone bill if you kept trying
>>
>>102169506
information overload and addiction was less of a problem
>>
>>102169506
terrible, you had to press the space bar like 4 times for it to be the same
>>
>>102169506
Back in the early days I just used different icons on my desktop to open different websites and the taskbar was my tabbar. I've used top taskbar since forever so when tabs got introduced it was pretty much no change for me.
>>
>>102170243
Is one of those taskbars baked into the pape is that the secret
>>
File: Screenshot (11).png (9 KB, 702x49)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>102172330
yea that was painful but they added the option back recently
>>
>>102171305
You leave my...
>select all
...4,366 tabs alone! Leave them alone!!!!
>>
>>102177300
Yeah looking back the whole concept of needing noko to even find your thread again was insane

Newfagging is easy these days
>>
>>102169506
opera had tabs since 2000.
>>
File: 1701904149409553.png (131 KB, 592x1588)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>102169506
have you ever browsed 4chan in Index mode?
the Catalog didn't come about until years later, same with 4chanX - so no (You) or (OP) >>102169506

keeping track of multiple conversations in a single thread (at least for me) involved memorizing the last digits of a post number into short term storage, example:

>*open thread*
>*scroll down*
>"ok so 99 is the guy talking about Metal Gear 3"
>"173 is replying to 99, so these next couple posts are in that same conversation"
>*scroll down more*
>"ok..so this anon is saying some funny shit but I already forgot who they were talking to"
>...
>*scrolls back
>*re-learns post numbers*

yea lotta scrolling

>>102169583
>Cumbersome.
this is the simplest most salient way to phrase it. The culture was great to grow up in, but the QoL and fluidity that we have nowadays is something that I would strongly hesitate to give up

>milf unrelated
>>
File: 1711498588550518.gif (427 KB, 978x478)
427 KB
427 KB GIF
>>102187524
>>yea lotta scrolling
hm now that I think about it, I [or maybe "we"] didn't have mice with reliable scrolling that didnt feel like ass, back then.
So when I say "scrolling" I dont mean mindlessly swiping down; I probably clicked on the actual bar to move around the page, and maybe I used the hotlinks on post replies to jump around the page too (that's prob one of the features that made the yostuba imageboard engine or whatever so successful)

idk my memory's pretty foggy and I've been using extensions so long that it's difficult to remember the exact details vividly, but yea - we certainly had to trudge through a lot of inconveniences in the early days

-
I used Internet Explorer for a really long time, so what that anon said about Opera tabs doesn't necessarily apply to the majority of the userbase back then
>>
>>102169506
Beautiful. You read only what you actually needed, not a single tab hoarder in sight.
>>
>>102187524
Yeah, I like index mode in 4chanX. I turn off the 5 preview messages however, they don't have much point. I have a userscript so I can double click to expand posts too, interesting ones get opened in a new tab
>>
File: 1725147566961739.jpg (33 KB, 600x493)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>102187629
You just reminded me of the horrible dark ages before mice with scroll wheels became ubiquitous.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.