[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1725605919517.jpg (69 KB, 603x900)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Happy Friday!

Tech News & Industry Insights
Ars Technica - https://arstechnica.com/
Hacker News - https://news.ycombinator.com/
TechCrunch - https://techcrunch.com/
The Register - https://www.theregister.com/
The Verge - https://www.theverge.com/tech

Software Development & Programming
GitHub Trending - https://github.com/trending
DevDocs - https://devdocs.io/
JavaScript, CSS, HTML sandbox - https://jsfiddle.net/
MDN Web Docs - https://developer.mozilla.org/
Stack Overflow Blog - https://stackoverflow.blog/

IT Operations & Infrastructure
AWS Service Health Dashboard - https://status.aws.amazon.com/
Cloudflare System Status - https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/
DownDetector - https://downdetector.com/
Microsoft Azure Status - https://status.azure.com/
Microsoft Office 365 Status - https://portal.office.com/servicestatus

Previous Thread: >>102246396
>>
File: 1710969981481726.gif (978 KB, 563x628)
978 KB
978 KB GIF
>all jenkins build nodes under heavy load
>>
how do I enjoy friday? I think I might order a pizza when I am done with work
>>
>>102254541
Don't slop yourself up. Just go to the gym.
>>
File: 1707726987008201.png (182 KB, 800x503)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>102254569
Nonsense.
>>
>>102254541
Pizza's a brilliant idea as long as you can get something local
>>
Hey anons,
I am a going to graduate in december and i am feeling pretty demotivated. The market doesn't look too good for new grads and I have been getting rejected in every job I have applied to. I can't even do leetcode in good conscious anymore because I need a interview in the first place. Anyone else know this feel? Any advice or comments?
>>
File: 1696171221209705.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>102255060
Sorry, this thread is for tech workers.
>>
>>102255060
>Any advice or comments?
this is tech WORKERS general

other than that, fuck off we're full
>>
>ausfag. Make $75k being a data analyst/BI bitch
>Very chill, lots of time to teach myself basic stats/"data science"/very simple scripting and implement projects with such
>Think I know a fair amount, start applying for more involved jobs
>Everyone else has a masters
I guess I'm capped at $75k
>>
>>102255060
apply to every internship you can find, in this market it's good even to work for free
If you're still in school you may be able to get a practice teaching assistant, this is how i got a foot in the door, i was a master's student though
>>
>>102255172
>practice teaching assistant
practice AS A teaching assistant
>>
>RTO going ahead
>seniors from many teams will leave because they live 2+ hours away
Will they just make the ones who are left absorb the workload?
>>
>>102255395
Brilliant idea. You should try out for management
>>
>>102255494
I'm considering it because the devs are just goy slaves to management. All you have to do as a manager is ask for updates on a jira every hour
>>
Anyone else have a 10yr+ career without ever really having deployed anything?

I built a few services that communicate with SQS at my first startup job, but ever since going big tech....lol

I feel like I earn one of the most precarious 250k salaries on the planet. Nobody would pay me this much to be bad at anything else
>>
>>102255395
That's exactly what they will do. When companies talk about RTO these days, they already know they're going to lose some people. It's already been factored in. So the RTO will happen no matter what, and they'll take the opportunity to cut some costs and trim some fat while they're at it.
>>
>>102255577
thing is it's highly competent people who are leaving and not the useless ones
>>
>>102255589
They don't care. Unless they do adjacent technical work (and I can assume they do no technical work at all) it will have absolutely zero impact on them. They will deflect all responsibility when talking to their peers and their own boss, while continuing to turn the temperature up on the remaining devs
This is like a classic at this point. That is precisely how it will turn out. Has happened a million times. Will happen a million more
>>
File: brass2.jpg (91 KB, 935x750)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>102254805
>>
>>102255060
Hey man, just here to say you need to build up some mental resilience ASAP because for most people in your shoes it will get worse from here (see people being unemployed for 6+ months post graduation). I recommend buddhism.
>>
How difficult is it to find clients for web development on your own?
>>
>>102256164
I'm someone looking for a web developer for my startup, i'll be honest this is what I did:

1. Look up the cheapest global rates
2. Settle on LATAM
3. Go on toptal
>>
>>102252029
Israel and mass immigration from India (greencards stapled to every diploma) are the only things Vance and the people behind him care about.
>>
So I'm interviewing at a place and the company wants references. They need to be professional references like previous managers, so I can't find a friend or something.
Problem is, I'm pretty sure my previous managers and coworkers have a grudge against me. I left a while ago and it's been a long time since I've talked to them. I really don't want to use them as references and honestly I'm kind of scared to ask.
What do /twg/
>>
Fuck am I tired of everyone assuming I know their shit and they don't know anything about my shit.

>anon this needs to work because I have a MIR meeting in 40 minutes. Without that other anon can't do the EBITA report.

Then fast forward to troubleshooting and I get asked what a "login screen" is. If you don't know things that is fine, but why the fuck do I have to know everything about your fucking world.

>>102256189
please report back on how this goes and include a reference to this post.

>>102257044
Call and ask them if they can give a positive reference. Acknowledge the horrible thing you did, if that is the case. If the horrible thing you did was short notice then say you were stressed and the situation was unfortunate and you wished it played out different. Make sure you poke them about the positive part of the reference and give them an out. Most assholes will out themselves if they are planning to shit talk you.

If you are worried about them saying no, who cares. Better to know that people are against you than wonder about it.
>>
>>102257180
Thank you for the advice anon, I appreciate it
I don't want to get into the "horrible thing you did" but I think it suffices to say I got terminated for it. It wasn't illegal or anything like that, but it did lead to me getting fired. So, I'm very hesitant to reach out to anyone at my old job.
>>
How do you gain the confidence/knowledge to go from
>This seems wrong
>I think we should do things this way
To
>This is wrong
>Do things this way
>>
>>102257258
start with co-workers then. There are some managers who aren't assholes, but will still bluntly answer the reason for termination question.
>>
>>102257271
doing it wrong yourself
that's all there is to it
>>
>>102255784
This. Happened to my team/company over this past year. Only remedy is to make yourself as critical as possible beforehand then quit with no more than two weeks notice and provide no useful knowledge transfer. Don't let managoids bully you into saying anything that makes them look good either.
>>
>>102256656
This. Still voting for Trump just because it might cause a civil war but Vance is a fucking poodriller and would destroy the country faster than Harris.
>>
Between me and my wife we currently make enough to pay the bills, invest, save for emergency and vacations, all the important shit. I am 100% wfh, working a pajeet tier job with very good stability. In a given day I put in maybe an hour of actual work, most of my day is just sitting in meetings listening to people talk.

Should I job hop to start doing some actual work just to have some more money and a challenge? I'm in my mid 20s and I worry that if I continue to sit here I will eventually lose any skill that I had and be unhireable later down the line. Or should I just continue to do my low effort, basically neet job, and ride out the rest of my career in mediocrity, for middle of the road pay.

This is probably more along the lines of life advice. But do you anons who work high intensity and high pay jobs wish that you had something slower and easier? Does anyone else feel like they aren't learning anything new or useful at their job? Is the grass always greener?
>>
File: GWx9SZdWcAAecpB.jpg (124 KB, 1534x947)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Damnit Bobby Tables, not you again!
>>
what keeps you going, /twg/?
>>
File: crab mosaic 1.gif (991 KB, 1024x1024)
991 KB
991 KB GIF
>be me electrical controls engineer at small company
>about to pass 1 year
>hey COO, I'm sure its on your calendar, but just wanted to confirm i am on your radar about my 1 year eval.
>oh you think you're due huh?
>???
>in discussion with senior PM later, come to find out they let him go 2 years without an annual review until he requested one and he has only gotten 2 raises in 5 years
What the fuck did I get myself into bros? Am I fucked? They hired me in at my asking price which was a big bump for me. But now I'm starting to get worried about this place long-term.
I'm trying to get my state eng. license and then go job shopping q2 2025.
Pic unrelated
>>
File: 1697276034950250.png (3.45 MB, 2147x3299)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB PNG
>>102257625
money and my fumo collection
>>
File: 1702241782643657.png (1.52 MB, 1243x749)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
I slack off 50% or more of my work time, why shouldn't I get another job and do the same, effectively working a full time job while getting two paychecks?
>>
>>102257504
I don't have a use case for getting more money once I can have every need met at the cost of 2x-10x my workload. All that extra money is being saved/invested anyways. Eating at high end places every day, high end luxury vehicles, bigger house, etc don't really entice me. The only reason to work those jobs is probably just ego for me, or to retire early and do something at the 5th rung of Maslow's hierarchy of needs like make a startup.
>>
>>102257649
can't you just, like, discuss your salary with your boss like any normal worker would?
>>
>>102257666
You should, but for some reason jobs get pissy about it.
They act like a gf and that you're chesting on them. No idea why that is.
>>
>>102257708
I'm going to, that's what the 1 year is about. The concern is I don't want to work for people who play fuck games with employee money.
>>
>>102257625
The very limited amount of books worth reading. The limited amount of kino anime worth watching. The lack of good games is wearing on me now. Eventually I will catch up :C.
>>
>>102257456
I'm not convinced voting matters at this point.
>>
>>102257625
I'm not going but no one has noticed yet.
I wake up hungover, put on some music, and then wait for standup where I tell lies again.Then I go back to sleep.
>>
File: 813DLST6O6L._SL1500_.jpg (172 KB, 1196x1500)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Will NEETS be issued this book if there parents lose there jobs?
>>
bring back /utwg/
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>102257929
damn I miss it, you're right. someone should make it
>>
nuke india now
>>
>start remote gig Monday
>ask hr to tell whoever to not send me a monitor
>nobody gave me a tracking number yet
>expect to get a monitor I don't need
>don't expect hr to get back or help me in time
Why do they regulate this to HR?
Does HR ever respond in under 2+ days?
>>
>>102257886
their*
>>
>>102255144
Just get plenty of certs. Look up a website called "exam preppers" which have old questions, but good to prepare anyway.
T. Someone with same job as you. Although I have a master degree.
>>
>>102254569
>>102254541
slop yourself up with two mcdoubles from mickey d's AND go to the gym.
>>102255144
ever considered biostatistics?
>>
>>102257433
>make mistakes
okay but what if im not bad at my job and dont make mistakes all the time?
>>
>>102258146
Just use it for something else, they did the same to me and I've been watching Columbo while working for months.
>>
>>102258267
Yeah I think I'm in that boat the main hr contact is OoO so I'm not going to be able to stop it.
I asked her 2 weeks ago and she just didn't respond to that message
>>
>friday
>finished my item
>dont want to pick up a new item for the last 2 hours
So I just ask copilot for suggestions on how to refactor pieces of code so it looks more like clean code.
>>
>>102258319
Try a smaller model to do the first refactor. Then use Copilot/Claude/whatever to do a revision.
Double the bullshit work.
>>
>>102257815
>Eventually I will catch up :C
and what's going to happen then?
>>
How hard is it to land an internship in the current job market? All my shit is getting rejected even with a yoe under my belt.
>>
Why are there so many unemployed anon in the thread? Isn't this a tech WORKER thread?
>>
>>102258542
I'm a worker but seriously want to quit my job and trade instead
>>
>>102257929
you can start it yoiurself, anon
>>
Sirs it's beyond over
>>
>>102258542
High interest rates killed this industry
>>
>hate job
>hate career and industry
>hate computers in general
>zero network
>wfh has made me a quasi neet shut in
>no gf
>hate city
>no friends
If I found a gf, got married, and got her pregnant in a 2 year timeframe which would be lightning fast, I would be 30. That would probably only temporarily mask how I have wasted a decade of my life to such soulless corporate pursuit. I fail to see how it isn't completely over
>>
I've found the perfect usecase for LLMs: making plantuml diagrams from descriptions
>>
File: leetcuck.jpg_large.jpg (121 KB, 1170x1377)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
I HATE LEETCODE I HATE LEETCODE I HATE LEETCODE
>>
why do you use vs code with the "Remote - ssh" extension anon?
>>
>How many years of work experience do you have with Leading Development Teams?
I struggle with this, because for years now I've been sort of informally doing this sort of thing, but no one has ever said "you are officially our lead on this project." I like to be honest, but I don't want to say "0" or "none", because that's really not quite accurate either. What do you do in this situation?
>>
>>102258201
every engineering problem has multiple solutions
a "mistake" can be the 3rd best or hacky solution (i.e. why did we do a db call multiple times here instead of caching a value, which stalls the app by 3 seconds every time we load)
>>
>>102258812
lie
>>
>do daily job post cycling
>see Musk company job post
>see Dice, remote.us, and other scammy job posts
>immediately hide or X out the job post
I have already done my 80-100 hour work weeks. I don't want to deal with Musk bs or give my data to scam job recruiters that don't do their jobs.
>>
>>102258201
>>102258819
to answer the original question of how do you know when to find these issues, you need to experience an inefficient codebase
if your work has a perfect codebase (lmao), go do OSS contributions or make a personal project
>>
File: GWoZM2DWYAASmiF.jpg (115 KB, 840x1200)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
God fuck why did i only graduate with just 2.94 GPA FUCK FUCK FUUUUUCKKKKKKK ALL THE GOOD PAYING JOBS WITH PLENTY BENEFITS IN MY COUNTRY ARE LOCKED BEHIND 3.00 GPA FUUUUCKKKKKK
>>
How long does it take to get good at leetcode?
>>
>>102258897
>IN MY COUNTRY
and stay out
>>
i just pooped on company time
>>
>>102258967
I haven't take an unpaid shit on a work day in two years
>>
>>102258967
fap on company time next time
>>
Does any other office job have this level of micromanagement? I don't actually know but I feel like if you are an accountant or civil engineer or something you just have someone come to you every once in a while and ask you to do something not a daily humiliation ritual that's totally not a status meeting but where you have to give your status on tasks
>>
>>102258812
>What do you do in this situation?
you could lie as the other anon said, but you could also refer the people looking at your CV to your peers, and/or maybe ask your current employer to make you the actual lead of your dev team.
>>
nice LARP general
>>
>>102259003
how often do they ask?
is there a deadline coming up?
do you get all your tasks done each sprint?
>>
>>102259063
>how often do they ask?
Ask what?
>is there a deadline coming up?
It's agile every X weeks is a "deadline"
>do you get all your tasks done each sprint?
It's agile you don't have "tasks" it's a team effort
Please do the needful sirs and stay off this general
>>
>>102259103
nvm whatever you're complaining about is deserved
>>
>>102259003
>I feel like if you are an accountant or civil engineer or something you just have someone come to you every once in a while and ask you to do something not a daily humiliation ritual that's totally not a status meeting but where you have to give your status on tasks
Yes, this happened all the time as a junior engineer. What's worse is I basically had 8 different bosses who only cared about their projects and I supported them all so I usually had one stopping by once a day to ask me how I was coming on only their thing.l and would disract me from whatever I was working on.
Yes it was like Office Space. Civil engineering is for the fucking birds, bro. Licensed guys all act like holier than thou dickheads and expect juniors to kiss their asses.
So glad I got away from it.
>>
>>102259024
>you could also refer the people looking at your CV to your peers
I may be misunderstanding, but what I'm doing is applying online to various companies that I don't currently work for. I've always been told to keep this sort of thing on the downlow until I'm ready to leave. So there's no way I can see that I could get anyone external to talk to my current colleagues.
>>
How do you deal with a situation where you're not the PM so you stay away from anything above your work in that project but your boss keeps pushing you to do stuff outside your area so you have a good control on everything.
Shit's kinda frustrating because I don't have time, money or the job responsibility to be in charge of people on projects that give NO fucking benefits to myself. (in fact most of the time it leads to more overhead for me)
>>
>>102259129
You don't have a job
>>
>>102259189
>you want me to do this then give me ownership over the project. I'm not doing extra work so someone else can take the credit for it.
>>
>>102259189
What are they gonna do if you say no? Only jeets kiss up and deliver garbage from overpromising
>>
>>102259146
That sounds like garbage I didn't think about having multiple bosses. I wonder what it's like for non-STEM fields. Seems like management just loves to harass autists
>>
>>102258984
Kek i did this during unpaid internship
At least once a week I'd jack myself off to chatbots
>>
>>102259200
i'm sorry everyone has to deal with your autism, my heart goes out to them
10% of my pay maxes out my 401k and roth ira little guy
>>
>>102259283
Please make an effort to poo in loo sar
>>
>>102259252
>unpaid
should have done it once a day at least
>>
bros i can’t stop gooning… !
>>
>Work PC arrives
>No notice
>no tracking number
Well at least it's here, not happy with how they handled it but I'm officially fully remote.
>>
>>102259369
I fail to see the problem
>>
>>102259186
>I've always been told to keep this sort of thing on the downlow until I'm ready to leave.
I mean, yeah, you could do that, or you could be honest and tell your employer that you want more money or whatever, I guess.

>there's no way I can see that I could get anyone external to talk to my current colleagues.
do you not talk to them or to people from previous jobs?
>>
>>102259424
that's pretty negligent on their end
>>
>>102259485
Yes and it's been causing me stress. The company is big and has a name but they did not confirm much of shit including my background check so I was basically floating in the abyss before getting my laptop.
I sent emails today asking for the above but I got my answer so now I just start and pray my manager is as easy going as this HR department
>>
>>102259463
>you could be honest and tell your employer that you want more money or whatever, I guess
I did mention recently that I think I ought to be making more, yeah.
>do you not talk to them or to people from previous jobs?
I talk to my colleagues about stuff, but I've never involved them in my job search. Perhaps I could use a specific person that I trust not to spill the beans as a reference. As far as previous jobs: I've worked at my current one for like 6 years, and the only previous job was 2 years right after college doing sort of niche work. That was so long ago that I don't want to refer to it too much, as I've improved a ton since then. Though they did like me there.
>>
>>102259532
>I talk to my colleagues about stuff, but I've never involved them in my job search
... anon, ever heard about this "networking" thing? if you are relatively friendly to coworkers, if they like you and respect your work they will help you (and expect you to help them too)

>I've worked at my current one for like 6 years
why the fuck would you do that lmao
>>
How are you all doing in the raises and bonuses department?
>>
File: 1677430632302677.gif (1.56 MB, 350x328)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB GIF
oh my science it's friday.
>>
*leans over your shoulder*
*spills coffee into your lap and all over your keyboard*
>>
What is the comfiest console to play while pretending to work? Should I get 'eck to play halo mcc or wait for switch 2
>>
>>102260000
i put my work laptop in front of my PC. when i want to switch i just slide the laptop out of the way.
>>
>>102260017
Pc is cringe I want to lay in bed and gayme
>>
>>102259620
>why the fuck would you do that lmao
Job hunting is a lot of work, phoning it in isn't. You do want to bail after ~4 years though because people start to catch on.
>>
>>102260067
terrible idea. i bet you have trouble sleeping.
>>
>>102260067
I always perform way worse laying down, you need proper posture.
>>
File: 1725642297322.jpg (61 KB, 735x640)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Had anyone here successfully purposefully got fired?
>>
>>102260083
>>102260126
Don't care pc is still peak cringe
>>
>>102260141
xonotic, nethack, and factorio don't run on consoles and those are the only games I play.
>>
>>102260139
I'm working on it. Been going 6 months doing the absolute bare minimum and only been told I'm doing a good job
>>
>>102260139
I kind of lost what I was living for and checked out for a year until I got fired. I would have been ok not getting fired so idk if that was really on purpose though.
>>
File: cuppa.png (124 KB, 600x400)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>drafted two emails
That's enough work for me today.
>>
>>102260139
I keep getting promoted while sandbagging
>>
File: 1725475097710484.jpg (15 KB, 596x596)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>102260139
attack the brown woman.
>>
>>102260206
That was what happened to me initially too. I think managers panic when you do that and think you're being vindictive or something.
>>
>>102260182
>power on laptop at 9 am
>back to bed
>check email at 5 pm
all in a day's work
>>
>>102255519
yes but I make nowhere near 250k
>>
>>102260182
>click spammed through FOUR trainings
>updated a spreadsheet
pulling my weight
>>
File: 1725642827039.jpg (42 KB, 566x564)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>102260182
Thanks for your hard work!
>>
File: 1673812296913339.png (174 KB, 589x598)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>102260182
i wrote an email last night and got a non sensical brain damaged boomer response from management. emails are a meme.
>>
>>102260268
>non sensical brain damaged boomer response
kek i get this shit all the time
today my boss called me a different name, i don't even know who he thought he was talking to
>>
Is there a name for the kind of developer who controls a project the whole team depends on, that they developed in their own particular way without a care for things like the principle of least astonishment, resulting in a project only one person understands and knows how to debug? Project Dragon, because they guard their project like a dragon guards its gold?

How do you slay the project dragon? The guy on my team goes on vacation, there's a bug in the project, I submit a fix that gets rejected when he returns because it doesn't fit his vision or whatever, he gets promoted presumably because the team needs him but it's only because he has created a wall of shitty design practices around his fiefdom and the team lead doesn't do anything about it.
>>
>>102260070
>Job hunting is a lot of work
it isn't. you just check linkedin from time to time. have you never had recruiters message you on linkedin? do you even have a linkedin account?

>>102260139
I have, in the past. I got involved in some drama and they didn't want to fire me but wanted me to move elsewhere... I told them no, you can fire me instead. and they did.
>>
>>102255519
"big tech" feels like daycare for midwits. Like they want us to busy so we don't bother the people in charge. Ever since I started working for 400+ person companies none of the tasks I've been given seemed remotely consequential. It's weird because they pay me a lot to do almost nothing. I feel like that shouldn't happen in a market economy and I'm not entirely sure how to explain it other than that the whole culture is doing that slow motion suicide thing civilizations do from time to time.
>>
>>102260293
>do you even have a linkedin account?
I don't have any social media accounts, I think they're extremely retarded.
>>
If I'm looking at jobs at places no one's ever heard of or at non-tech companies how much should I be focusing on leetcode? I got my current job via a friend so I've never had to go through the normal interview process. Looking at backend focused work in particular.
>>
>>102260279
>today my boss called me a different name
At least in Outlook it's right there at the top of the window. That's an impressive amount of apathy/negligence.
>>
>>102260293
You are leaving out
>5+ humiliation rituals for them to decide if they want to hire you
or do people get job offers without any interviews
>>
>>102260309
we aren't in a market economy. all large corporations are melded into the state. they're protected/privileged through regulatory moats and kept in line through regulatory control. even that control is hardly necessary because everyone running every company is educated the same way and thinks the same way. further below that there's the loss of civilizational confidence and vitality that you hinted at which is why nobody cares that this is happening.
>>
>>102260340
I have never been asked to solve leetcode problems during an interview. It's always braindead easy stuff to see if I know basic programming concepts.
>>
How do I keep my cool at work, I'm getting micro managed on inconsequential shit and I am too autistic to change my routines. Did I bring this on myself by being too productive?
>>
>>102260333
>I don't have any social media accounts, I think they're extremely retarded.
linkedin is not social media, you retard. and if you use it as such, you are the problem you fucking faggot.
how the fuck do you even work in tech if you are unable to use the tools you have at your disposal? you seem useless and absolutely retarded

>>102260367
>what is networking
only retards like (You) go through humiliation rituals like that.
>>
>>102260399
>f you are unable to use the tools you have at your disposal?
I'm just not convinced it actually does anything other than spam all your professional contacts without asking you first.
>>
>>102260391
you don't have to live with micromanagement. establish boundaries, try to transfer internally.
>>
>>102258773
I love leetcode. Better than CRUD I have to do as my current job.
Today's daily LC is quite easy despite tagged Medium, don't you think?
>>
>>102260462
No way I rather for CRUD slop #3747 than do leetcode #10
>>
>>102254395
the thread resources are way too large and impractical
>>
>>102255060
bruh I graduated 4 months ago and still unemployed. validate and start ur own startup. u can team up with other unemployed new grads.

whatever the case, if u do not enjoy making stuff, u will fail
>>
>>102255519
its very easy to deploy something. I just deployed a next app on gcp cloud run this week

t. unempolyed new grad
>>
I'll deploy my dick in uranus, faggot
>>
>>102260450
>Establish boundaries
I told them I do not want to be managed on how, where and with whom I work without evidence of disfunction. Hope this works out.
>>
>>102260581
Well done anon. Next time you see your boss, smack him on the ass to formalize the new dominance hierarchy.
>>
I’ve got an AWS associate developer exam coming up pretty soon. Does anyone know where I can find some practice questions without having to pay money?
>>
>>102260288
kek. thats why u never let a dev solo an entire project. a subsystem of it sure, but even then u gotta make sure they write docs that make sense.
>>
>>102255519
I'm 6y in and feel that.
Same deal, in my first job I worked on an actual product people used. Second job, it was a library people used in some products but not while I worked on it, as it was cancelled shortly after. Then I worked on its replacement until that was cancelled too, and I have no idea if it was used. Current job is kind of research based but I guess it will contribute to something pretty well known. Don't want to say what as it's a small world and my coworkers definitely use /g/. My job still feels inconsequential most of the time and I spend a lot of time doing nothing. Sounds enviable but I actually hate getting distracted, I just can't make myself focus on work.
>>
>>102260573
benchod fucker !!
>>
>>102260648
>and my coworkers definitely use /g/
how u know
>>
>>102260502
It's fucking boring.
>>
>>102255519
I'm 6y in and feel that.
Same deal, in my first job I worked on an actual product people used. Second job, it was a library people used in some products but not while I worked on it, as it was cancelled shortly after. Then I worked on its replacement until that was cancelled too, and I have no idea if it was used. Current job is kind of research based but I guess it will contribute to something pretty well known. Don't want to say what as it's a small world and my coworkers definitely use /g/. My job still feels inconsequential most of the time and I spend a lot of time doing nothing. Sounds enviable but I actually hate getting distracted, I just can't make myself focus on work, partly because it feels inconsequential and partly because it feels like I'm playing jenga with a blindfold.
>>
>>102260664
NTA but I had an Indian coworker who would often do the /g/ Indian memes. I could never figure out if he was either completely unaware or if he knew and was leaning into it.
>>
>>102258470
I have a solid resume and have gotten a bunch of auto OA's but no actual interviews. yeah it's fucked
>>
File: 1634608039735.png (361 KB, 2048x562)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
>>102260713
/g/ is at least 50% indian/mexican.
>>
>>102260784
>auto OA
jeets optimized for this long ago
bloody bastards, they just cheat and hope for an interviewer from their village
>>
>>102260293
>using LinkedIn
What year are you from?
>>
>>102257625
cans of monster energy and dreams of owning a home
>>
>>102260784
You need connections for internships. Cold applications rarely work for that. I got my first two from people at church.
>>
>>102255519
I was personally involved in a dotgov.gov deployment. I think my carrier peaked then.
>>
Our senior guy just announced he's leaving and everyone's face expression immediately changed like they were shitting their pants
>>
>>102260288
you should strive to become like him. he's made himself irreplacable
>>
File: 1725421133279723.jpg (163 KB, 557x863)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
RTO is happening soon and I was already planning on quitting anyway. What's the most optimal solution to maximizing how long I can get a paycheck while never going in? I was thinking something like: have covid for 2 weeks, get a doctor's note for FMLA, then "return" to work and immediately need two weeks off for health reasons, then just stop responding to anything and stop showing up to anything.
>>
>>102260948
sucks to be you I guess
>>
File: 1667272778832791.png (490 KB, 640x853)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>102261036
ignore or make awkward noises when they ask where you are. they probly wont even care. rto isnt enforced most the time.
>>
File: 1701015032572313.png (1.31 MB, 1095x1043)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>102261036
RIP, Paul.
>>
>>102260182
>send a few emails a day, virtually attend some meetings
>deliverables pile up
>do 90% of everything in two days (usually friday/monday)
my department is a black box so nobody questions anything
>>
>>102261036
Can you get a psychiatrist or doctor to give you a bullshit excuse to keep working from home? Something like extreme social anxiety. Also I work for Amazon, we have a dogs in the office policy, and someone at my org got a permanent remote work exception because he's allergic to dogs. So maybe you can bullshit some symptoms of an allergy or medical reason you can't go in.
>>
>>102260288
The best and worst kind of software always gets developed this way. It's really underrated. You can build Android by strictly adhering to "good design principles" but that's why everyone fucking hates Android.
>>
>>102261118
>>102261036
or if you're good at your job: "I am moving out of state. Send me the paperwork to be reclassified as remote." that's what i did and i got zero pushback.
>>
>>102261036
Just don't go in. If you're still getting work done all of these extra mandates are almost always bullshit with nothing behind them.
>>
>>102261036
maybe you can no longer drive because of a medical condition.
>>
>>102261200
I had a coworker who was legally blind and they just had him take transit in.
>>
>>102261036
simply don't go in
>>
>>102261217
based. blindniggers do NOT get a free ride.
>>
>>102257666
1. you are too lazy
2. you'll pay a lot of taxes (since the scale is progressive), so need to calculate pros and cons before starting
>>
File: 1706995996886844.webm (2.55 MB, 404x720)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB WEBM
Do American tech companies auto-reject Canadians?
Should I just fake my address?
It just requires a simple TN Visa to work there anyway so why are they so picky
>>
>>102261386
canadians suck
>>
>>102259203
>>102259218
I just don't get why he wants me to take more control of the project. I get maybe it's to make sure everything looks good and it's better someone on his side MAKES SURE it looks good but on the other side bro what the fuck this isn't my project why the fuck are you making me overextend. I can't really say no no because this is the VP to my department.
>>
>>102261386
Either move to the US or don't bother.

Besides, they don't even want to hire Americans anymore. They just keep the job posts up long enough to justify hiring or keeping their H1B's.
>>
>>102257271
Provide a formal proof.
By the way, your superior already knows about it but it's too lazy to fix it.
>>
>>102260462
>Today's daily LC is quite easy despite tagged Medium, don't you think?
I HAET linked lists.
>>
File: Antonio_Salieri.png (651 KB, 727x641)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
You are all mediocre, including myself.
>>
>>102261578
y-you too...
>>
Fellow remote workers: do you consider it to be rude to just call someone on slack without scheduling it first? Often, my boss will have some bug I'm discussing with him, and because he's apparently fucking illiterate and can't type, he'll just call me on slack without even saying "let's do a call!" or "can you take a call?"

Am I being overly sensitive or is this the most low temperature aggressive move you can make for remote workers
>>
>>102261608
It depends on the company, even myself. My last company I'd be really fucking pissed if you call me without saying anything when I'm WFH. Here, people just randomly call me all the time. If you don't answer though, they don't take it to heart.

>Often, my boss will have some bug I'm discussing with him, and because he's apparently fucking illiterate and can't type, he'll just call me on slack without even saying "let's do a call!" or "can you take a call?"
This part you may be taking it too autistically. If he's already in conversation with you, it's just easier to say your point than typing it and it can be taken like 500x different ways.
>>
>>102261608
boomers man
>>
>>102261608
no it's really annoying and inconsiderate. bosses do it as a power play, you can't do shit about it but i reject any cold calls from non-boss.
>>
>>102261608
>the final evolution of "quick call?"
>>
>>102261608
your boss is a jerk. probably slav
>>
>>102261278
>you'll pay a lot of taxes
This is a good reason not to try hard with most things desu.
>>
I'm convinced my manager is taking on more work than we can handle so he can justify hiring a huge number of reports and forcing his way up the ladder. Then he tells the existing devs to come up with work for the new devs instead of managing them himself. I've told him I need a project manager for my project, not more devs, but he refused and hired a junior dev anyway, so now I'm a dev, a project manager, and this junior dev's manager as well.
>>
>>102261711
juniors are so fucking needy. it's a full time job just to wrangle 2-3 juniors.
>>
>>102261608
Yeah. I told my manager to set up time on my calendar if you want to do slack huddle. Dont interrupt my work
>>
>>102261608
Honestly if its a quick question I much prefer that over scheduling a whole meeting for it.
>>
>>102261910
If it's a quick question, he should be able to type it. It's 2024, there's no excuse for not being able to communicate via IM
>>
>>102261728
This makes me feel better about slacking. My senior doesn't have to deal with so many questions from me.
>>
File: 1377080038717.png (228 KB, 383x383)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>102260182
>find enough internal meetings going on to block my whole day
>Teams status: In A Meeting from 8-5pm
>"sorry gang am in meetings all day"

This FIFA's not going to play itself you know?
>>
File: 1620599764729.jpg (482 KB, 1080x1080)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
sign your timesheet fellas.
>>
>>102261728
Tell them to ask ChatGPT how to do their jobs. :)
>>
>>102262028
I should start doing this on Thursdays so it looks like I'm ahead of the ball on at least one thing.
>>
File: 1721527523247973.gif (1.19 MB, 498x272)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB GIF
>>102262028
>had a job since I was 16
>always documenting my hours
>timesheets
>timesheets
>timesheets
>9 years later
>finally get a career job
>consultant
>FUCKING TIMESHEETS
>get busted to hourly because of COVID
>FUCKING TIMESHEETS
I never want to do timesheets ever again. Please get that shit away from me.
>>
>>102262028
>tfw jealous of niko
i wish i could give up like that. i bet it's pure bliss.
>>
>>102262198
Move into your car. If you're single you're getting nothing for the money you pay in rent.
>>
>>102262219
>nothing
as a white man i _need_ a minimum amount of private space
>>
I'm glad I'm not a new grad now. I think it'll be very hard to get into the tech job market now that everyone is studying CS, pajeets come en mass and AI can automate as well.
>>
>>102262096
nah man I don't know where these companies are where you don't have to justify how you spend time. Probably fagmen ones where your performance is tracked some other way.
In mine I have to specify exactly how much time I spend on each activity and it feels like slavery
>>
>>102262291
>In mine I have to specify exactly how much time I spend on each activity
yeah mine too and i've been faking it once a week for almost a decade. stop caring.
>>
>>102261077
>>102261247
this will probably result in termination quickly because there's a new project that only onsite people will have access to

>>102261118
Maybe, I have a history of anxiety and other BS so could probably get them to write a note
>>
>>102260868
This but sugar-free redbull. Best paired with Adderall.
>>
>>102261036
>master forgive me
>I need to go all out, just this once.
>>
>>102262236
Is that worth $2k/month and not something you can get by hanging curtains in an SUV? I say this as someone who moved into a vehicle.
You need less space than you think.
>>
File: 1546339141087.png (23 KB, 645x773)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>102262399
>I say this as someone who moved into a vehicle.
americans unironically do this
>>
>>102262415
I'm not paying half a mil for a house in Mexico 2.0 lol.
>>
>>102262399
I once lived in an apartment with low ceilings and it had a measurable negative effect on my mental state.
I can't imagine what a van would do to me.
>>
>>102262434
I think once you deviate from ten foot ceilings and marble countertops the destructive effect is non-linear and negligible. Better to just embrace reality with open arms and bank the money than teeter on the edge of perfection.
>>
>>102262399
You can't sleep comfortably in an SUV
>>
quick call?
>>
>>102262473
sorry pradesh i'm on a meeting :)
>>
>>102262483
Man the other day I had some Indian say hi to me twice before telling me what he wanted.
>>
>>102254395
That woman went on to have a music career that wasn't half-bad, as unbelievable as that sounds. Personally, I only listen to an intricate cacophony of bleeps and boops which are occasionally interwoven with amen breaks. You wouldn't understand.
>>
>>102262415
My commute is so bad that I sleep in my car twice a week to get time back. It was brutal in summer. I make 110k a year.
>>
>>102262516
>Personally, I only listen to an intricate cacophony of bleeps and boops which are occasionally interwoven with amen breaks.
Based Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus and/or Reverorum ib Malacht enjoyer
>>
>>102262525
WFH one day a week and work it from there.
>Oh sorry I've got a flat tire, I'll change it in the evening.
>>
>HR lady in new company sent mass email to newbies (including myself) to write little about ourselfs
>take picture(!)
>and put int on fucking company wiki.
Is this what you guys call 'humiliation ritual'?

I'll probably try to ignore it and hope she will go away, but I kinda doubt that.

I wonder if I could invoke GDPR somehow, without coming out as schizo...
>>
>>102262586
You can ignore it by the HR stacy will put you on her shitlist.
>>
>>102262586
Just have to cope
You're making enough money where you'll have to tolerate this.
>>
>>102262096
>>102262291
>>102262304
I don't track my time. Is it that unusual? I'm looking for other jobs because of RTO and commute hell.
>>
>>102262586
just post in detail about your sex life to show them all how cool you are
>>
File: 1705411264699445.jpg (7 KB, 239x229)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>102262649
>coworkers found out about the lgf
>>
Guys, it's really not that difficult to say "no."
>>
>>102262649
>just post in detail about your sex life
About WHAT?

>>102262686
>Guys, it's really not that difficult to say "no."
Thanks, I guess I needed to hear that.
I'll try to phrase polite 'fuck off' email on monday.
>>
>>102261562
Why? I'd rather have a linked list question on an interview than e.g. a segment tree.
>>
File: 1725653407623.jpg (26 KB, 432x221)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>102262263
Yeah but I fucking hate my job
>>
>>102262649
For the autists in the thread: Absolutely no one at work appreciates hearing about this.
>>
>>102262807
Doing the Lord's work, anon.
>>
>>102262742
I told someone to fuck off (professionally of course) and it caused so much drama. I just wanted this BA to stop fucking calling my personal phone to have me do his work for him when I don't even know wtf he does. My boss at least told him to not call me ever again even during work hours.
>>
>>102263008
sir if you don't do this work i'll be fired! do you want me to be fired sir?!! please do the needful
>>
>>102262686
I'm in a position where they're trying to force RTO but of course there's a meeting scheduled after hours cause we can all just dial in on the 'puter right. Probably going to say no by just ignoring it
>oops I forgot
Can't get the best of both worlds nerds
>>
>>102255395
That was the plan from the very beginning.
>>
>currently work at a boring but stable and comfy job
>have a recruiter that is strongly trying to get me to take a start up job with big salary
what do
>>
>>102258542
Tech jobs are fucked unless you like doing support call center shit and l1 helldesk garbage with levels 1-3 support stealth slipped into the job duties.
>>
>>102257625
dreams of FIRE
>>
>>102257446
All my stuff runs or has a huge dependency from my personal office server. They're own infrastructure is just roadblock after roadblock. Kek good luck figuring any of it out jeeters. They'll have to redo years of work from scratch.
I'll probably kvetch about trying to come in to the office more and just hang on as long as I can / unless I find a better job.
>>
File: 1722499510163586.png (126 KB, 401x425)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
christ, what a week.
>>
>>102261036
Rotate having one coworker badge everyone in.
>>
>>102262028
This faggot shit is why I will never work for an MSP ever again. Timesheets are dystopian jew bullshit.
>>
File: 1725162744164127.gif (930 KB, 640x360)
930 KB
930 KB GIF
>>102263429
i wrote zero lines of code. did literally nothing. only 4 days so no point.
>>
>>102263447
I could probably just badge in have coffee and leave it's a huge waste of gas though, 80 miles round trip
>>
>>102263527
I survived an enormous layoff, and inherited a shit load of work because they wont be backfilling the people they axed in my org.
>>
>>102263553
Gee whiz anon as your manager I'm SO excited to give you this opportunity to shine!
>>
File: todd wrestling.jpg (86 KB, 600x637)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>I fucked up and forgot to start something sooner
>That means it's ultra-high priority for everyone else too
>Better harass this guy at 4 PM on a Friday until he does it for me
>>
>>102263568
They actually came at me with that shit, I told them that shit was going to get dropped because it was impossible.

>"well....we'll have to see"
>"no, I'm literally telling you I'm dropping some of this shit because theres not enough time in the day to do all this, if its important hire another person, if not I'll get to it when I get to it"

I don't fucking care anymore.
>>
another interteam meeting another episode of "proposing random meme products when the problem is failing to understand the problem"
>>
>>102263676
that's not real agile. read the manifesto again.
>>
>>102263730
real agile has never been tried.
>>
do they give out coding interviews for senior devops now? I'm gonna kill myself if I have to study leetshit
>>
>>102263748
>real capitalism has never been tried.
>real communism has never been tried.
Real monarchy was tried and it was glorious. When does the Urbit monarchy begin.
>>
>>102263806
>the Urbit monarchy
we're already ruled by jews tho
>>
>>102263795
Don't worry, devops interviewing is weighted on how quickly you can vomit yaml on the whiteboard.
>>
>>102263831
no one asks you to write yaml
>>
>>102263553
You might be ok. I survived a pretty big forced retirement spree (so far) and they're increasing my staff to more than what it was before. I'm not concerned about these guys gunning for my job for at least 4-5 years, but I do appreciate having more hands.
>>
>>102263839
>I survived a pretty big forced retirement spree (so far) and they're increasing my staff to more than what it was before
Incredible how retarded companies are. Mine is still schizo-cycling between long hiring freezes and short hiring booms.
>>
>>102263585
My favorite is when something hasn't been working for weeks and they didn't even ask about it, then suddenly it's a 7am Sunday emergency.
>>
>>102257625
Hate.
>>
File: 1725659464067.jpg (109 KB, 1024x1024)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>After careful consideration, we have decided to not move forward with your application at this time. If you’ve applied to other positions, you will still be considered for those until otherwise noted.
>>
What companies do you need a referral to get an interview at?
I'm fairly sure Microsoft and Amazon don't give a fuck about referrals, but I'm guessing all the other FAGMAN do.
>>
>>102264021
>My favorite is when something hasn't been working for weeks and they didn't even ask about it, then suddenly it's a 7am Sunday emergency.
basically every cyber security incident.
>>
>>102262980
I just worry about you guys.
>>
I had "friends" in college that were also comp sci majors. But if I went on possibly autistic rants about some tech stuff they distanced themselves. That's why I resorted to this board.
>>
>>102263815
>we're already ruled by jews tho
thats not a monarchy thats sort of an oligarchy, a merchant class that profits only from trade requires no allegiance to any people or country. The more there is interdependence the more trade is required and this empowers the merchant. The entire reason the industrial age exists is because of them. The more trade the more material benefits but more dependence. The dependence creates compromises that errode at ways of life. Merchants become so powerful but they make nothing and sell nothing. Its basically what happens when the sales department runs your company. They dont care they are in sales, they will leave the company and work in another sales dept selling whatever the fuck. /rant
>>
>>102264160
yes yes very good but you're missing that both the oligarchs and the hypothetical urbit monarch are jewish. it's like arguing whether you'd rather be ruled by moloch or mephistopheles - you're fucked either way, you can debate their relative merits but then you're just mentally trapped in jew-world.
>>
>>102258192
Pre-workout Mickey's is a classic that I have done since high school.
>>
File: 1655828400961.png (38 KB, 404x400)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Damn... should I just learn JavaScript/TypeScript and node and react and all that shit?
I don't use ANY of it in my current work, but it seems like that's all anyone is hiring for and I might want to find a new job soon...
>>
>>102264343
There's nothing to learn. It's over.
>>
>>102262757
Leetcode always forces me to implement all methods (insert, remove, iter).
>>
>>102263325
take it easy
>>
File: gosling.png (675 KB, 1280x720)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>>102264038
>>
>>102258192
>ever considered biostatistics?
No, should I?
>>
I hate agile and I hate my coworker Mandeep
>>
>>102264925
Sounds like you aren't a team player, anon. Our lead Pradesh says Mandeep is doing great.
>>
>>102264925
Yeah anon, our Product Manager Neeraj and Project Manager Chandesh say Mandeep is working hard every day
>>
>>102264343
js is the language of the web. use it or get left behiend
>>
im in a early stage startup part time (unpaid for now, will get part of the profits) and we will launch in a couple. im pretty happy anons
>>
>>102265385
>unpaid
oh no anon... you won't see a buck
>>
>>102263325
startups run out of money. start ups change their mind on everything every few months. start ups chase trends off a cliff. start ups will fire you just as quick as big corps when the money gets tight. any ownership you acquire will be diluted. any loyalty you earn through proven success will be differed to a Microsoft dropout they hired. any autonomy you carve out for yourself through consistent reliability will be seeded away to the first middle manager they hire

you will learn a lot very fast in a startup. including many things you wish you didn't know. if I knew then what I know now, I'd stick with stability
>>
File: 1715471067930007.png (733 KB, 1125x1125)
733 KB
733 KB PNG
>>102265385
>unpaid for now, will get part of the profits
>>
>>102264831
Look into it. Search for the big contract research organizations in australia. You'd probably have to continue your education a bit to become a true biostatistician, but clinical research/pharma has longer than average business cycle and is pretty stable, so it'll be there in the future.
>>
File: 1714046421858126.png (83 KB, 811x527)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
only two days left until Monday
>>
>>102263395
Holy based
>>
>>102262586
>HR lady in new company sent mass email to newbies (including myself) to write little about ourselfs
>take picture(!)
>and put int on fucking company wiki.
Sounds like she wants a mile of cock in her before month end
>Post gym pump in a wife beater
>"Really into paper filter coffee and live bands"
>>
>>102265726
what? no, that can't be right. last time we had three.
>>
>>102264220
>hypothetical urbit monarch are jewish
whats the final solution then
>>
>>102265791
You just answered your own question.
>>
>>102262586
>post drivers license photo
>hobbies are drinking milk and watching a clockwork orange
ez.
>>
>>102265791
we need to rebuild the lampshade factory
>>
File: 1447045806958.jpg (15 KB, 281x350)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>102262503
>set status to a standard NoHello setting asking people don't just say "Hi"
>multiple Jeets: "Hi Anon"
>5 mins later they send an actual sentence outlining their needs
>>
>>102260169
>I'm working on it. Been going 6 months doing the absolute bare minimum and only been told I'm doing a good job
roughly doing this and filing a promotion packet soon
>>
>>102265749
next week we'll be down to one...
>>
>>102265915
>sorry chuds but line went down so we'll be restoring a 7 day workweek
>>
Damn, senior devs are so fucking lazy
>>
>>102266203
stop messaging me. you have no idea how distracting your dumbass questions are. did you even try looking for the answer yourself first? fuck you.
>>
>>102266203
I don't want to review your PR, it's probably bad and not robust anyways.
>>
>>102266240
The senior on my team submits MRs with code that won't even compile. He'll submit it early in the morning and respond to feedback the next day. No work done in between.
>>
>>102266394
Don't question your betters
>>
>>102266203
I'm lucky, most of my senior devs have been absolute killers
>>
>>102266394
lmao based
>>
NEW BREAD
>>102266973
>>102266973
>>102266973
>>
>>102266663
like serial killers?
>>
>>102265490
>>102265392
Im cto brah, contracts signed
>>
>>102267110
no, like really good self taught college drop out devs that were way better than me
>>
>>102267231
I was joking lul

every good dev is self taught. degrees taech nothing, all profs are retardde

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.