[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: javavsgo.png (161 KB, 800x450)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
If you were to do a startup that required making a fairly simple crud app with a React frontend and some backend, would you use Java (with Spring Boot) or Go for the backend? I have no experience with either, but I hear those are very often used for this kind of thing

Since I am inexperienced, I value simplicity, good documentation, having plenty of tutorials available for things such as authentication, etc...
>>
Either are OK.
I would go with Java if I was to target enterprise and/or work in the data field.
Maybe Go if I wanted to mingle existing system and a quick prototype.
But overall both are more than enough. That's the kind of decision you take based on the hands you have available. Go with the majority knows.
>>
>>102263337
If you don't know either just use Go. You can hack together something in either, it's just Java, especially Spring, is going to assume you're very familiar with OOP design patterns and when you show it off trying to get a job they'll expect you to have a clear grasp of them. Although, if you flip through the Head First book and think "this is genius", go for Java.
>>
>>102263337
Both made-up pajeet languages
gigaC++hads win again
>>
>>102263337
>would you use Java (with Spring Boot) or Go for the backend?
Ruby on Rails
>>
>>102263337
I like go
>>
>>102263337
Personally I like c# and wouldn't really want to work on either
>>
>>102263830
>t. unemployed larper
>>
>>102263876
literally working as we speak
go ahead and report me to my boss for shitposting on /g/ during working hours faggot
>>
>>102263888
Your company has a web api written in c++?
>>
>>102263914
yes, as a matter of fact we do.
not doxing myself though go find me yourself nigger
>>
>>102263337
Java is godawful
Go isn’t but you’re gonna have a hard time finding people who care about it
Just go with Node.JS, it’s a fucking CRUD ffs, maybe do Next.js if you wanna look interesting
>>
>>102263830
If my coworkers were retarded I’d move them to Drogon. It’s nice to work with. But they are retarded so I’d at least take Go.
>>
File: IMG_8248.jpg (17 KB, 320x313)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>102263995
Weren’t *
>>
>>102263337
Python with Django. Postgres backend. Ship HTML to the frontend. Use a classless CSS framework at first while iterating to avoid tech lock-in.

Don't add a technology unless you absolutely have to. If you need frontend interactivity htmx is a good option but always check if you can do it in pure HTML first, the popover API and the details tags that act as radio buttons grouped by its name field have eliminated most usecases of javascript for me.
>>
>>102263930
I hate node because of npm package hell including but not limited to: if something is deprecated or the maintainer decides they don't want to fix vulns anymore
>>
>>102263337
Java with Javalin or Go. Stay away from Spring Boot.
>>
>>102263337
Just use Nim
>>
>>102264491
Nie
>>
Java, because it has a bigger tool box.
>>
>>102265743
My tool box is big enough, I don't have to compensate.
>>
Java is better as long as you're using a modern framework instead of Spring. There are plenty like quarkus, micronaut, jooby etc.. pick your poison.
>>
>>102265754
Not everyone has the same capabilities.
>>
>>102263337
I could get it done much faster in go because I have more experience with it
But even for a total noob i think it's easier to pick up
>>102263830
t. No job nigger
>>
Java sucks ass. Just setting up Maven or Gradle will take up as much time as a small project does in Go.
The same symptoms ring true for the entire ecosystem, every little thing tries to be an entire platform, a world unto itself.
>>
>>102265847
Imagine getting filtered by maven kek
>>
People got stuck on the crud app crap. But java can be ported to the phone which is where everyone is right now. Personally I'd use python for AI and javascript cause that's one of the spaces that remain for crud app or a video editor for the tablet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.