[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I just ordered an AMD FW13 with the new 2.8k display for ~$1200. Did I make a mistake or is this thing actually good?
Planning on setting it up with Fedora (sway) which ive never used before.
>>
>>102313465
>no numpad
nah, it's trash
>>
Why do /g/tards wait until after they've already bought something to check if it's actually good? What the fuck is your problem?
>>
>>102313488
purchase validation
>>
>>102313485
You can get one with the 16. Pay more, goy.
>>
>>102313485
>numpad on a laptop
enjoy your RSI from typing diagonally for 10 years
>>
>>102313488
I'm in batch 4 which is shipping at the end of the month and I've only been charged a $100 refundable deposit.
>>
>>102313535
And this changes what? Why didn't you make this thread before you spent real legal currency?
>>
>>102313655
>Why didn't you make this thread before you spent real legal currency?
Because there is already a relatively long wait to receive the laptop and I can refund my purchase if I wish to. I did plenty of preliminary research and liked what I saw so I placed the order, but I'm also curious if anyone here has experience with these products. Had I waited to make this thread and received responses I would end up getting the laptop later.
>>
>>102313688
>I must CONSOOM PRODUCT ASAP
>>
>>102313688
As someone with the 16 and said it in the last thread: It's very start-up-y still. The cooling issues on the 16 are mildly concerning for what is essentially a modular laptop (goes to 100F under light/regular use).

As long as you understand you're getting a start-up laptop, it's fine. But there is no guarantee the company will still be afloat in years down the road when you need to upgrade and the upgrade system (community offerings) is currently shite right now.
>>
>>102313465
Yes, you did great. You should be proud of yourself you wonderful special boy. And now that you have it and you're aware you made the best decision you can stop making framework threads every day.
>>
>>102313465
>still no sinkclose fix
>literally getting a firmware backdoored laptop from the chinese speaking factory
>>
13' display, just noh. I already run out of screen real estate on my 15.6', imagine using a tiny 13' display
>>
File: 20240909_111309.jpg (925 KB, 4000x2252)
925 KB
925 KB JPG
Got my 13' today. Put it together. The Bezel was a bit retarded to get on correctly but it was otherwise dead easy. Keyboard is fine and overall built quality/feel seems fine as well. You could get a better laptop for less, but if anything goes wrong with said laptop, you're likely spending a lot more to fix it.
My reasons for purchasing this were A: I like the concept of a fairly modular, repairable laptop. B: Linux compatibility. C: I want to support a company that is pushing points A and B. So, if you like what they're attempting to do and can afford it, I think it's a great purchase. If you don't give a shit about any of this and just want a good laptop, you can find better for cheaper, but as stated earlier you won't be able to fix issues with other laptops as easily, or upgrade parts as easily.
>>
>>102314913
Looks good anon, what OS are you planning on running on it?
Also which screen did you get?
>>
>>102314956
Got the 120hz one and I'm very happy I did.
Have Endeavour on it and I'll likely stick with that. Zero compatibility issues and no fiddling to get anything to work correctly (camera, mic, wifi). Considered Fedora because it's officially supported, but seeing as I had no issues here, I'm sticking with it.
Did a swap partition == my RAM so I could use hibernate and it functions properly and sleep seems to work correctly as well which I've found to be problematic on some devices. All n all, good linux experience thus far.
>>
>no 8845HS model
aww
>>
It's curious how there's a framework thread on this board 24/7. It's not even about a new product or custom module they made, it's just the lowest effort stock photo and generic question all the time.
>>
>>102313465
I had the original board and it worked great with fedora
the AMD upgrade wifi straight up doesn't work, and after 2 years of using fedora I was willing to do any hack to get it working, but the drivers just don't exist and it got set to wontfix on the framework forms

I saw a youtube video from a linux enthusiast showing off how great it worked, revealing at the end he never got wifi working
>>
>>102313465
>Did I make a mistake or is this thing actually good
Not really. Worst case scenario is that you overspent.
>>
>>102316701
I haven't received mine yet so I can't speak with firsthand experience, but the consensus seems to be that if you swap the mediatek wireless adapter AMD laptops come with with an Intel AX210 all the networking problems disappear.
>>
>>102314913
Good summary. The 100% Linux support alone is worth a lot
>>
>>102313485
>duplicated keys
really?
>>
>>102313485
Last time I used a numpad was 1997 when Carmageddon required it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.