[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 8256171.jpg (30 KB, 252x450)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Redpill me on surplus office pcs.

I see alright looking ones for a good price I'd like to mess around with them for offline machines and adding a gpu and stuff.

I'm thinking of getting one and putting a 1650 in it. Has anyone done anything similar? Any models you recommend?
>>
>>102401384
Probably not much better than a steam deck. Old CPU would most likely bottleneck anything more than a GT 1030 especially since they used cheap RAM.
>>
keep in mind that the power supply isnt easily upgradeable most of the time, because they tend to use proprietary connectors. I guess thats why you went with a 1650, it doesnt require additional power connectors, and these PCs have low watt power supplies. Other than that, they are fine I guess.
I daily drive a used HP microtower with i7-6700, and a Quadro P2200 GPU, I like it, no problems in the past two years since I have it
>>
They're often prebuilts with shitty proprietary components so you can barely modify them, PSU is probably too weak to support a dedicated GPU. If the processor is decent enough you can take it out and put it into a better system.
>>
File: 83-370-161-V01.jpg (111 KB, 640x1148)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
I made a gaming PC out of those before. It was a Thinkcentre m93p sff with an i7 4790 and 16GB RAM. I installed a GTX 1050 TI LP. It performed pretty well honestly, I was able to play all my games and run programs on there no problem.
>>
they used to be good value, now theyre not unless you get lucky with an insane deal. id rather just save up and buy a bunch of use parts separately
>>
>>102403823
Are you guys boomers or something? I'm seeing some pretty good cpus in them for a decent price
>>
>>102401384
Cheap as shit and usually alright condition. I use one as media center and server. Works well
>>
>>102401384

i have tried office pc with pci-e power display adapter, manual says you need 300W power for this
>>
>>102401384
>Get pallet of them.
>Tear apart.
>Sell CPUs to China in 2 days.
>Sell RAM to Ukraine/Vietnam in 3 days.
>???
>Profit???
>>
File: GU-oRMnW8AAK3v0.jpg (201 KB, 1982x1110)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>102401384
Mostly old (think i3 or i5 4th gen). Most will still run Win10 (for the year it has left.... if you care), I've bought a couple to use as dirt cheap linux rigs. The run old emulated games just fine. I have one as a torrenting mule.

if you want to recycle the parts, you may need to get adapter cables for the power.

In general, they're durable and unglamorous.... but they are dirt cheap.

if you have a specific model in mind, there loads of youtube videos talking about modding/upgrading these things.

Have fun with it.
>>
>>102406335
What are you guys talking about? Plenty of comps with a 7000-9000 series for pretty cheap
>>
>>102401384
i want the dell xps so bad
its so minimalist and compact. the liquid cooled one isn’t available so it just has the air cooled 14900k but it can’t boost to 6 ghz like the aio version
>>
>>102401384
dont know about other manufacturer but dells are almost non upgradeable due to proprietary power connectors inside
was considering buying my old computer from work because it had some beefy xenon for virtualization and add a graphic card but my boss told me about the shitty power connectors issue
>>
>>102401384
>Redpill me on surplus office pcs.
they are extremely based if you do office-type work, otherwise you're a retard
>>
>>102407693
>retards calling everyone else retarded

Classic 4chan
>>
>>102408026
>retards calling everyone else retarded

Classic 4chan
>>
>>102401384
They're alright. Get something with 7th or 8th gen i5 for best results. They pair well with a used 1650.

>>102401489
>Probably not much better than a steam deck
Absolutely horse shit.
>Old CPU would most likely bottleneck anything more than a GT 1030 especially since they used cheap RAM.
Dimwit take. DDR4 speed doesn't worsen performance much, unless it's single channel.
>>
>>102401384
Yes, doable. If you want to get into it, here's things to look out for.

1) You need to check the CPU/mobo support. Haswell Xeons or higher is usually what I'd recommend, if you want a beefy CPU. Mainly because you want a huge 8c16+ CPU. Dont get the shitty quadcores Skylakes or lower.
2) You need to check the rated PSU support. These surplus office pcs dont come with standard ATX but proprietary, so make sure PSU is beefy enough on buyout.
3) Might need extra PSU cable adapter if you are using very beefy GPU, but with 1650, prob shouldnt be an issue.
>>
>>102401384
Dell/HP dont use ATX standard for mobo, case, psu. So beware. IDK about Lenovo.
>>
>>102401384
>Proprietary PSU
>Proprietary mobo
>Proprietary case

Good luck ever upgrading it or fixing it when ot breaks. Literal designed to fail trash to keep corpros buying new ones every 2 - 5 years or whatever their mandated upgrade cycle is.
>>
>>102401384
I have one because I'm a poorfag, overall I'm quite happy with it, bought it for $300, added RAM and a HDD without having to upgrade anything else, I can play PS3 era games and use LO just on its integrated graphics.
>>
>>102401384
I got a mini one for cheap and downloaded a pile of essentials onto it. Then I wrapped it in foil and put it under my bed, it's my backup computer in case a solar flare ever hits.
>>
>>102401384
Don't get one of the micro form factor ones unless you're ok with only having one drive. The tragedy is that they make for PERFECT servers, just not for storage.
>>
>>102409458
My old HP Prodesk G3 Mini has 1 nvme storage, 1 sata storage, 1 m.2 sata storage. I'm using nvme and 1 x 2.5" sata drive. I still have m.2 sata slot free.

Newer ones have 2 m.2 drives and possibly extra 2.5" sata slot as well.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.