[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: .jpg (168 KB, 857x874)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
What are your views on Secure Boot?
>>
>>102410412
I'm the middle one
>>
like steel toes?
>>
>>102410437
I use Steel Toes on all my computers.
>>
>>102410412
>Turning secure boot off because you can't be bothered with MOK keys every time you want to make a new virtual machine
>>
but muh evil maids!! an evil maid attack has actually been performed on a non-government target at least once in the history of computing right?? right???
>>
>>102410412
There's nothing secure about it and it's glorified DRM malware.
It's secure for Microsoft, not you.
>>
>>102411960
considering the nsa regularly leaks their old tools on the darknet, intentionally or not, yes attacks happen many many many times a day
>>
>>102410437
>he doesn't run his computers on crocs
ngmi
>>
>>102411960
I turn secure boot off to attract evil maids to my house.
I have 138 evil maids.
>>
>>102412000
What?
The NSA acting like a cartel using it's leveraged access for profit?
Well I'll never...

It's actually worse than that btw, they use backdoors to perve on you through your cameras. This is COMMON there.
>>
File: file.png (24 KB, 660x380)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
I turn it on and self sign because big green check mark make me feel good
>>
File: 1724197926781069.jpg (39 KB, 720x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>102412021
My computer is an evil maid, it is ruining my life.
>>
>>102412027
luckily my laptop came with a shutter that closes the camera when not in use
I imagine a large laptop maker wouldn't implement something like that without a real threat being present, it's enough confirmation
>>
It's the first step of turning desktop into phones where everything, including installing software all has to be authorized by Microsoft.

They call it the "chain of trust". Secure boot is the start of that with signed OS kernel, then you get signed drivers that Windows had for a while, then on top of the signed kernel and drivers your signed apps from the Microsoft Store run on.

Currently you can still break that chain since Windows allows you to install unsigned drivers and software but not for long. Microsoft wants desktops to be as locked down as an iOS device so it can stop hearing complaints from retarded users downloading spyware.
>>
>>102410412
The existence of secureboot has resulted in devs totally giving up on making encrypted boot work well across the board in the Linux world. All of this while not providing a decent secureboot toolset. It's pretty strictly a bad thing.
>>
File: file.png (129 KB, 897x930)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>102412132
>All of this while not providing a decent secureboot toolset
what do you mean?
>>
>>102412061
Dude, are the many many NSA whistleblowers coming out about this time and time again out of sheer disgust at the state of affairs not prove that this happens?
The media is even blatantly critical of this shit and people pretend it just doesn't happen.

Hell your own governments are critical of this shit. Most people in these sorts of orgs are not cops. They don't give a shit about protecting your ass. They just like hacking you for lulz. And they get paid to do it.
Hell, any enforcement that likely cracks on this shit probably gets fucked with nowadays and eventually they are forced to stop trying to stop it
>>
File: file.png (185 KB, 618x548)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>102412278
This, even LEDs are not to be trusted because even if its wired to power they can just take a picture really fast, before you can even notice the LED/it gets enough current to light up
There's also picrel, funny if on purpose, concerning otherwise
>>
UEFI is a tool of the antichrist
>>
>>102412314
It really bothers me that the NSA often tells about the dangers of webcams, and yet the public calls it conspiracy.
I just don't even. What are they meant to do? Hack into their browser and show them the live webcam and say "please stop allowing this to happen lol".

I think the number 1 net detriment to our economy nowadays is surveillance and data collection. All it does is give people the wrong idea about what markets need targeting and it probably leads to severe economic inefficiency and stockpiling issues. People just get the data from the data black hole and just assume it's gospel and not misleading.

There's a reason courts have largely avoided using this shit as evidence. Of course, the government works around that too in order to eliminate threats nowadays. You don't even need to be doing illegal shit nowadays. I'll bet it's now as bad as a "rating system" or "social credit" system with these data systems nowadays. Only it's with regards to how you're impacting the economy or impeding some corporation's efforts now. Or some government department's.
>>
>>102412314
lmao the NSA logo on the cover
>>
>>102410412
it does fucking nothing.
absolutely pointless for anything other than fucking over linuxkeks
>>
>>102411960
Unironically, yes. There are several stories of programmers going to China and having their computers backdoored when they stepped out of their hotel room for a while.
>>
File: 1709590113462122.png (325 KB, 1024x601)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>102410412
>What are your views on Secure Boot?
Works on my machine.
>>
>>102410412

Unless you are providing field computers for defense/intelligence agencies or lobbing your computer into a hostile country, secure boots only purpose is to make it harder to pirate windows.

If you care about your data getting stolen encrypt the drive. That's good enough for most people.

I don't have anything on my computers worth such an elaborate attack. It'd be more cost effective bribing or beating the shit out of me for the password.
>>
>>102411979
>DRM malware
How so? You can nuke the Microsoft keys and install your own if you want. That may prevent Windows from booting, but it's not like you use Windows, right?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.