[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (359 KB, 1200x675)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
I need a new Windows laptop and my budget is $300 or less. I'm just gonna use it to do office stuff, stream sports, watch movies, surf the web, etc. What are some good options?
>>
>>102413432
buy the best one in your price range
you don't need windows for those tasks
>>
a used business laptop that used to cost $1000+
never buy budget trash, ever
>>
>>102413432
>office stuff, stream sports, watch movies, surf the web
just use your phone and save the 300 bucks
>>
Whatever you do, don't buy a trannypad and install Windows 7 on it
>>
you can check lenovo website, there are discounted older gen laptops, they're usually pretty good deals.

it's better to buy a previous gen middle range laptop than a brand new entry level one.

in my country there are pretty good deals currently. Don't mind the price, taxes are high here, they may be lower price in murica
>>
>>102413464

Exactly. And your phone can do a lot of shit with the right apps.
>>
>>102413743
>middle range
trash
>>102413743
>entry level
trash
>>102413645
>a used business laptop that used to cost $1000+
the only sane option
>>
>>102414457
How much would a used business laptop that used to cost over a grand go for now?
>>
File: ebay.png (4 KB, 219x179)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>102415952
somewhere between $0 and $600. For $300, you'll get one that's roughly 3 years old, in perfect condition, because no one in the corporate world ever takes their laptop out of the dock
>>
save up more and get an m2 macbook ez
>>
>>102416410
kill yourself
>>
>>102413645
I never ever trust consumer laptops again! This includes gaming laptops.
>Lenovo: ThinkPad > IdeaPad, Legion
>Dell: Latitude/Precision > Inspiron, Alienware
>HP: EliteBook/ZBook > Pavilion, Omen
"Prosumer" laptops (ThinkBook, XPS, Envy) are traps (nothing more than MacBook plagiarizers; might as well get a real MacBook). High quality, but still consumer shit.
>t. my old Inspiron & Alienware died at 5 years old. While old Latitude & Precision enter it's 10 year anniversary.
Low end enterprise laptops > high end consumer laptops. Last longer.
And don't even bother with any other Chinese/Taiwanese brand (Acer, Asus, MSI). All bootleg quality that break easily & hard to service under warranty. Cheap prices, cheap quality, money talks.

>>102415952
this >>102416363 covers all.
for $200-$300 you can get refurbished 2018-2019 business laptops (U-Core CPUs). Bump it to $400-600 you can get powerful workstations (H-Core CPUs + dGPU) of the same period. If you're lucky, you can get 2021 models at those price range. Or go touch grass to local ewaste dealers for real bargain. Get to know by yourself what kind of models & specs you want & sensible price range.
>>
File: 1709244705472235.png (189 KB, 1276x1187)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>102416410
>>
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up finding a refurbished Dell Latitude E7270 for like $140. Looks very solid so I bought it.
>>
11th gen intel or zen 2+ stuff on craigslist/facebook/thirdieversionthereof
>>
File: 1721742200417106.jpg (1.14 MB, 1280x3800)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
for me, it's the M6800
>>
>>102416410
pointless and cuck
>>
>>102417341
>ME disabled
Blessed fellow Precision patrician.
>Mogs ThinkPad W/P series in quality
>Cheaper than overrated ThinkPad workstations
>great keyboard (except the nu-7x50 series onward)
>Can legit murder someone with it.
t. own ME disabled nu-Precision 7540 (last series with trackpoint)
>>
>>102413432
>Hurr durr I'm some retarded ass sportsball normie and I want to use some gay ass laptop to watch my sweaty boyfriends play with rubber balls on television.
You people should stick to Chromebooks and facebook for all your spectator hobbies.
>>
>>102418191
>getting this upset over some random stranger on the Internet mentioning he wants to watch sports on his laptop
Lmao you ok dude? I'm genuinely sorry you're this miserable, that must suck. Try to do some self evaluation and get better bud.
>>
>>102418229
>Lmao you ok dude?
Yes, I am. Thanks for asking. How are you doing?
>I'm genuinely sorry you're this miserable, that must suck.
Its not me thats miserable, it's the pack of normies that pay out the nose to watch some sweaty grown men play with rubber balls that are miserable. It must suck to not engage in an hobby that you can actually participate in. If youre legit disabled, I'm sorry to hear that.
>Try to do some self evaluation and get better bud.
Thank you, the outcomes of my evaluation are that I am able to maintain and repair the following: my home, my cars trucks and SUVs, my electronics, softwares, pets random injuries from irresponsible horseplay, finances, taxes, health etc. It's all so comfy to be in control , present and capable in life, rather than being a spectator to other people's sportsball games.
But I guess watching other men succeed is part of your cuckold fantasy, to each his own, breh.
>>
>>102413432
check out the thinkpad general, friend.
they helped me with chosing my t480. feels pretty good.
>>102404994
>>
>>102418403
>T480
What OS have you installed?
How much ram?
What do you use for music, media etc?
Give us some details, breh.
>>
>>102418383
One of life's great joys is watching sports with your guy friends while you're drinking beers, grilling, cracking jokes and talking about whatever you want. I wonder what your guy friends are like, if you even have any.
>>
>>102418438
My version is going to be way overkill for, OP.
Got the version with the I7, the touchscreen and the MX150.
Ram: 32GB
Music: Spotify or YT Music depending on the mood

using it for home office, light gaming, university and learning to code lol. the i5 version would probably be good enough for OP's case but would go in and ask the people there.
>>
>>102418466
>Guy friends
You mean frens? Your /nu/fag is showing.
I only have 3 irl frens. That's not including my gf. And then my all of my cousins that live in the same county as I do.
The rest of my frens are a bunch of random shitposting retards on the internet.
I do suck at grilling, tho. Sadly I don't get to see many of my frens and cousins in person all that often, that's kind of a boomer thing but it must be nice. I talk to each of my cousins and 1 of my frens weekly over talk and text, usually after work and during some of the hobbies I've listed in my previous post.
I wish LAN parties were still a think and really I don't like to do more than 30% of the stuff my gf likes to do. But I do love her I guess.
One of life's joys is to expand your fren group beyond some drunkards in the garage, you should try it instead of getting offended soo easily online over a simple shitpost.
>>
>>102418514
Nice, that's not overkill at all, everyone should aspire to building up an used device to better than new performance.
I bought a shitty MSI gaming laptop because it was new, open box and on discount for <300$ with an 12th gen alder lake processor and 1/2 tb nvme.
I since upped the ram to 32gb and have grown to regret the purchase less then when I bought it.
I don't even use it for gaming, that wasn't even my intention. If I could go back, tho,I'd buy what you have only I'd find one with no HD, RAM or OS so I could get if for like 40$ then just add all the stuff I need kek.
>>
How do the used business laptops handle gaming?
Not looking for anything crazy but can they handle games counter strike 2 and older triple a titles?
>>
>>102418602
probably would've been the better choice to buy it without ram, os and ssd. gonna remember this trick for a future purchase. thanks anon!
>>
>>102418191
you don't watch the game with your family and friends? it's a great excuse to get everyone together
>>
>>102418514
I also own one like yours. Such config is the most jack of all trades.
The reason why T480 is so good is the perfect timing: it exist at the point retaining the good old design while early enough incorporating new components with big improvements
>Last series to retain old boxy design with classic hotswap battery before transformed into ultrabook T490. Also max 96Wh.
>8th gen intel CPU: 4C8T ulv; merging both T470 & T470p
>GPU: Pascal being an important upgrade milestone, big improvement over Maxwell MX150 2-3x better than MX940.
The bad things: loose USB-C ports & abysmal screen quality (especially brightness, including the touch screen).

As for i5 version, I propose to opt with X270 instead for maximum battery runtime & portability. Dual core & Single channel ram don't hurt much since portability > performance. You can get >10 hours with maxed battery.

>>102419179
Most common pairing is 8/256, which is obvious the original parts being replaced. Any 32/1TB is obvious price mark up (especially if you can configure which specs)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.