[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: linuxmint.png (26 KB, 3840x2160)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>Fixes your Distro-hopping permanently
>Gives you a functional OS that just werks with X11
>Don't ever need to go near the terminal
>Drivers just werk, Gaymin just werks

Mint won.
>>
I kneel, and use arch btw
>>
>>102413846
>Gaymin just werks
Another day of /g/ huffing that copium. Lmao.
>>
>>102413886
can you elaborate
>>
>>102413893
nta but I'm a Linux fag since the 90's, but playing games is not good enough yet. Pirate windows to play games. Use a fun Linux distro to anything else.
>>
>>102413989
ah okay that does make sense, i'm new to linux so just wanted to know. thanks
>>
File: Artix_Linux_Logo.svg.png (216 KB, 2560x1440)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
wrong pic sorry
>>
>>102413846
Brother, Wayland is the future. X11 is outdated, and as a result, mint also feels outdated. Its good for normies who want to make the jump from windows to linux tho, since its piss easy to install it.
>>
>>102414055
i watch the linux experiment too
>>
>>102413989
If you're pirating Windows, why not just use Windows? It beats having to jump back and forth between two OSes every time you want to do something else.
>>
>>102414055
>X11 is outdated
Don't mistake "feature complete" with outdated. Wayland is a fucking unusable meme in the current year unless you have a gAyMD GPU.(10% marketshare btw)
>>
>>102414105
Typing this from kde Wayland as we speak. No issues whatsoever :)
>>
>>102414092
convenience vs privacy
>>
>>102413989
>playing games is not good enough yet
Provide examples of specific problems or shut the fuck up, retard.
>>
>>102413893
Games are created for windows, they expect you to run them on windows, and devs do all the testing and tweaking on windows. If you use linux you'd be going up against the current and fighting the games always. Realistically the only case where linux gaming is good is if you have a very specific use case like this: You only use steam to play games, you don't pirate games, you don't use non-steam games, you don't play multiplayer games with anti-cheats, and you don't intend to heavily mod games. Even in that scenario you will still inevitably encounter more issues than on windows and on average have more performance issues and instability, but it'll be a fairly good experience. Keep in mind that Steam only supports Ubuntu according to it's support page, nothing else, and that's only for linux made games which is like a tiny minority of the entire store. As for proton, that's intended to be used by Steam Deck, not by normal linux distros and that's why it often has issues on any hardware that's not specifically a Deck.
>>
>>102413846
>gets hacked
>>
>>102413846
>distrohopping
never heard of it
btw i'm using arch, not sure if it helps
>>
>>102414290
that's not even a skill issue, just plain ignorance
>>
>>102414122
There's no distro out of the box that just werks with an appstore and where you don't need to touch the terminal

>>102414366
>arch
>tinkertranny shit
>>
>>102414290

not the same anon, but I remember a similar experience with gaming in the 90s, when windows was a lot less stable than it is today. as such, I don't even mind these issues because I've been there already + I don't even play multiplayer games (which might actually become viable anyway because microsoft wants to lock down kernel after the crowdstrike faggotry). that doesn't mean that "gaming just werks" is /v/ copium, though. my experience is that tweaking is very minimal
>>
>>102414454
Not really, everything I said is absolutely the truth. I never said you can't game on linux, it's just never going to be as good as windows, especially now with valve officially conceding to windows and fully hopping on proton train which is completely reliant on windows redistributables and code. This just solidifies the fact that linux will only ever play second fiddle to windows in gaming, but in the next few decades it might get to the point where all the AAA titles are playable and there's a user base big enough where gamedevs care about fixing linux/proton specific issues. That's just not the case right now with linux being 1.6% of all operating system users, and being 2.X% of all steam users.
>>
>>102414505
Yeah, I have no doubt there are people for who linux gaming fits just perfect. That wasn't the case for me, and I don't think it's the case for most people. The weaknesses should be pointed out so the OP can go into trying out linux with clear knowledge of what can happen, and not expect it to be a perfect flawless switch, which it will never be and will only lead to disappointment or seethe at being lied to.
>>
File: mirror.png (522 KB, 853x1000)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>102414041
>>
Gaymin almost, almost just werks
Almost
I have had some issues with games with certain launchers because VRR fucking breaks on them, Wayland -can- have this problem but there's workarounds (on GNOME it just works), but as for the rest it does just werks
>>
>>102414483
>There's no distro out of the box that just werks with an appstore and where you don't need to touch the terminal
ubuntu lol
but you'll find something else to whine about anyways
>>
>>102415562
ubunga is dead on arrival snap proprietary garbage with telemetry and modern day guhnome
>>
>>102414483
>There's no distro out of the box that just werks with an appstore and where you don't need to touch the terminal

Why do you choose to come to an anonymous image board to lie?
>>
>>102415633
Why do you?
>>
>>102413846
>lower statistical rt performance
>>
>>102413846
I use mint for at least 10 years. Just works.
OS choice is not very important anyway, it is just a waste of time.
>>
Thanks, but I'm sticking with Debian, and the GNOME desktop environment.
>>
>>102415647
Mint is easy to set up without the CLI and the Software Manager works....also without the CLI.
>>
File: fedora btw.jpg (99 KB, 700x700)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>Don't ever need to go near the terminal
t. inefficient shitter
>>
>>102415612
>snap
its alright
>gnome
horrible

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.