[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BlueGeneL_cabinet.jpg (266 KB, 835x1279)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Hello /g/, I'm a current junior cs student. I finally feel like I've reached a point where I have a solid foundation to get stuck into a slightly more sophisticated project. I've been studying Java in my classes, and learned HTML, CSS and Python to build a very simple website using Flask for the backend. My classes haven't really done much to elucidate the applied field of computer science as it pertains to modern software engineering roles (not that I expected them to). I would appreciate an outline of what fields there are, basically. I understand that there is web development, embedded, etc. But even web development has so many sub-disciplines. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is where my specific interests lie in this field. I've tried to research this on the web, but most of the hits I get are some permutation of:
>The TOP 10 projects to get a FAANG OFFER in *current year*
>>
41 year old Cloud Engineer here:
You're a CS student, so work on this like you would on a midterm or end of the year project.

Structure it, document it.
It's fairly easy to iterate:
- What are the problems you find more interesting?
- Do you like programming?
- Do you like testing?
- Do you like security?
- Do you like Infrastructure management?
- Do you want to work on hardware or software?

Find job openings in your area; what are they for? Can you get experience in them? Can you make a living in this?

Most of the people I met in college that really became successful followed a path for their areas of expertise and are in comfortable positions now.
That meant training, hard work, relocating and sometimes backtracking or lateral movements in companies.

You're in luck now, because there are a lot of online resources from job postings to career pages in companies that can help you .
>>
>>102418845
literally ask chatgpt
>My classes haven't really done much to elucidate the applied field of computer science as it pertains to modern software engineering roles
learn hindi
>>
>>102418845
maybe fuck off back to india?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.