[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: poison headcrab.jpg (77 KB, 1200x675)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
i'm moving to a new apartment and need to get a new ax router as the current one doesn't belong to me. which routers should i look into? no pozzed chink spyware please
>>
>>102419148
get a 6ghz one. You will be basically guaranteed no interference if your devices support it
>>
>>102419169
well i'm hoping to have my pc plugged into ethernet but i do use my mobile sometimes too but that's just for web browsing from my bed, don't think my device supports 6ghz though, or that it will be that important at all in my case

i just haven't dealt with buying a new router in a long time and i feel like i don't know much about anything anymore and don't want to fuck up
>>
File: minipc.jpg (36 KB, 800x303)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>102419148
Don't get a dedicated router. They're shit and overpriced.

Get one of these fanless mini PCs with a bunch of high-speed ethernet ports and then a dedicated AP. Install OpenWRT on the PC and connect the AP to it as a passthrough.

Dedicated APs are much better than the shitty "GAMER XXX420 10-ANTENNAE 69GHZ" routers that they sell. And then you can set up any software you want on the router.
>>
Dynalink + openwrt
>>
>>102419186
what benefits do these mini pcs offer besides not being corporate spyware (good advantage by itself but i want to understand your opinion better)?
>>
>>102419191
can't import dynalink to my cunt but why this particular company? it comes with google voice assist which i dislike don't want more microphones in my home one phone is enough
>>
>>102419203
They're much more powerful. You can use it as a fully featured OpenWRT router + firewall along with any software you can normally install on it.

You can install Pi-hole or other adblocking filters on it, throw a VPN like Wireguard or Tailscale to easily connect to your network remotely, or use it as a virtualization server to run something like Home-assistant (with Zigbee USB adapter) or docker containers. You can generally put both an NVMe and SATA drive in it so you can use it as a seed/torrent box as well or a basic NAS.

For networking, they usually have faster ports, providing 2.5Gbe or even 5Gbe rather than 1Gbe. Some of them even have SFPs for 10Gbe if you actually need it. Dedicated APs are typically more reliable as well.

All-in-one routers are typically the cheapest hardware they can find sold at 10x markup with software that barely works, where the best solution to your problems is to "Try resetting it" and hope it actually works.

Having your router and AP (and also possibly a dedicated switch if you need more ports) separate also lets you upgrade only the parts you need to down the line. If you don't need Wifi 6E or 7 right now then get a cheaper AP until you actually have devices that support it. If you don't need 10Gbe right now then stick with 2.5Gbe and upgrade the router when you need it. If you don't need a ton of ports then don't even bother getting a dedicated switch until you need it.

ServeTheHome has a bunch of good videos on home-networking shit like that.
>>
File: Mikrotik Hex S.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Copped this last week it's really nice. latvians know their shit
>>
Glinet gl-mt6000
>>
>>102419169
what devices even support the 6ghz band? wifi 6e is still too new
>>
>>102419148
get pozzed chink spyware, then flash with openwrt.
if you are buying a router your choices are glownigger jew spyware or chinkjeet spyware but the chinkjeet spyware is easier to crack and then the jews have to pay money to get your data anyway
>>
>>102421351
Pixel 8 and 9
>>
>>102419408
dude theres almost no way that the source is spitting more than 1Gbe, he'd be better off only if hes doing network sharing.
>>
File: 1704734545662443.jpg (48 KB, 736x736)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>102419430
yurotrash
>>102419148
RGB the router, get a unifi gateway and access point
>>
>>102419148
>pozzed
>chink
i don't think you know what either of those words mean
>>
>>102421438
> holy shit dude what is your deal i only want to get the cheapest fucking bullshit that lets my devices connect to the proncob to get my gooning on oh god here it comes OH GOD I CANT STOP IT FUUUUUUUUUU-
>>
>>102419369
They make a cheap router that's well supported because it's cheap
>>
I like my Turris Omnia
Not cheap though: https://www.discomp.cz/www.discomp.cz/turris-omnia-wi-fi-6-silver_d116907.html
>>
>>102420717
This + install openwrt on it
>>
>>102419203
Nothing, a miniPC is a clumsy replacement for a router.
>>
File: file.png (169 KB, 823x556)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>102419148
unironically
https://store.ui.com/us/en/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/ux
>>
https://ryf.fsf.org/categories/routers

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.