[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713156819817315.jpg (20 KB, 306x306)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>you can't switch the ISP's router to modem only mode
>>
>>102423411
yes you can
>>
call customer service and demand they put the modem in bridge mode.
>>
buy your own modem
>>
>>102423411
I went onto Amazon and bought a docsis 3.1 8/8 modem. I then got a nice router. They wanted to charge me $15 for the modem monthly after years of it being free after they upgraded the service (for free). The new modem was a router combo that regularly overheated. There was no clear way to disable the Wi-Fi let alone the router portion. When talking to customer support
>Sorry it doesn't support bridge mode. It's impossible with the firmware.
I was able to see the option for bridge mode was greyed out. I could switch the Wi-Fi to low power mode but couldn't turn it off entirely either. I took it to the physical store and told them to shove their device up there asses and had them activate my new modem. I had to prove with Amazon that I bought it too. They then tried to claim that it was theirs and wanted me to pay $15 the next month on the bill.

I got it straightened out but you have to wonder how many people that give up and give in. This is not a mistake, this is all done on purpose. They know what they're doing. They play stupid too so you feel bad for them.
>>
>>102423782
I remember when I had cox. They make you do this. Spectrum is shady as fuck.
>>
>>102423562
>puts the modem in bridge mode
>it still fucks with UDP packets anyways
Reeeeeeeee
>>
i did but its kinda confusing and invilved putting it in bridge mode and the isp wont help you
>>
File: Divine_Light_Severed.png (233 KB, 525x524)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>102423782
>do this
>set it up
>no internet
>turns out the ISP authenticates HARDWARE to enable connections so you HAVE to use their shitty modem
>can use bridge mode but it still throttles the connection simply because of how shit it is
>>
>>102423411
they made it illegal to tamper with it too. I heard some of them send your WiFi password in plaintext to their servers. Cybersecurity is a joke in America
>>
>>102426881
>turns out the ISP authenticates HARDWARE
UhhI think that's a lie, there's no TPM involved, you just have to pass a MAC address or similar to customer support

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.