[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Seal_of_WGU.svg.png (163 KB, 800x800)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
After OMSCS, I will be removed from the blacklist. It doesn't even start for another year, but I am ready for the day that the blacklist ends, and I patiently approach it.
>>
Its blocklisted, Anon. You know weve had this discussion about inclusive language before.
>>
???? Whats going on itt
>>
>>102423482
Me speaking. About how the blacklist ends with OMSCS.

>>102423466
Noted.
>>
>>102423493
[Sandra, Online]
This is an uncomfortable conversation for both of us. Neither of us wants to be in this place, so please, try to be a bit mindful of the words you use in public spaces, even if it is virtual. I really hope you understand. You are an amazing asset to the team, and it would pain all of us to have to elevate this issue any further. I hope for your full cooperation regarding this.
>>
>going to WGU
Lmao, enjoy your literal toilet paper degree there anon.

WGU without the EXP and current career is basically worthless to anyone, it's only meaningful use case is for those going into management because keeping up with tech is so hard for boomers.
>>
>>102423709
I already have my bachelors degree, anon.
>>
How does this school even work? They just ask you to make some GitHub projects and they will give you a degree? Does not sound too bad to be honest.
>>
>>102423770
Each of the 40 classes has a single final exam to pass it, or 1-3 projects, depending on the specific class. After getting the degree, you need to do OMSCS to undo the blacklist, so it's what I'm doing.
>>
>>102423770
They are a pass/fail school meaning you complete the tasks and have basically infinite reties on tests.
Everything is open book and just to show you can complete the work.

It's practically useless as a degree if you have work experience and degree as it's mostly for people to change GS level in the military/government or simply check an HR box to move to something like CTO.

If OP was blacklisted from anything thinking WGU will magically fix that is retarded
>>
>>102423857
You have low reading comprehension, I said that I have my bachelors degree and am getting my masters degree to be removed from the blacklist.

Also, nothing at WGU is open book and you only have a few tries on the exams before you are removed from the program.
>>
>>102423873
>am getting my masters degree to be removed from the blacklist.
If you did something to end up on a blacklist then there is more to this than simply getting a masters at WGU and moving on lol. There is something that put you there that probably has far more red flags in past history that will blow the masters use out of the water.

>nothing at WGU is open book
Depends on if the course is graded via proctor or not, though WGU is such a joke the proctored tests are basically 'can you recite brain dump we put you though?'

How the fuck did you end up on this blacklist to begin with
>>
>>102423971
I said I was removing the blacklist with OMSCS though, not by getting a masters at WGU.

You get on the blacklist by having only a WGU degree and not having experience, but you can get off it if you try hard enough.

You get on the blacklist by having WGU as your only degree and not having experience.
>>
>>102423997
Oh okay you're just schizo. Got it.

Protip: there is no blacklist, they just don't want mental patients
>>
>>102424014
By coming to that conclusion you are just making your low comprehension skills obvious to everybody, much less on a public website.
>>
so what exactly is the blacklist op? and how did you end up on it?
>>
>>102424050
Do you even know what the term blacklist means? Usually, to be blacklisted from something it takes quiet an effort or major screw in which you are added to a list of people to watch out for or ban from participation. Anyone who would be talking to you would probably find whatever the incident was more important than degree BS.
>>
>>102424093
It's just a metaphor for your resume not being looked at until you become a more competitive applicant and gain more knowledge. I doubt there is an actual list if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>102424136
You can be blacklisted by simply going to WGU, but then you could be removed by going to OMSCS. It's pretty simple actually.
>>
>>102424138
You mean underqualified or simply not qualified for the position. You can't just change the meanings of words around and them expect people to know what the fuck you're talking about.

>>102424156
No you simply aren't meeting the qualifications or you are blaming a failed interview/application on the fact you went to a lol printer go brrr with degrees, school. It's like the shit with University of Phoenix, everyone just knows that most of the applicants are a dime a dozen helpdesk IQ. They aren't blacklisted they just aren't smart, you're kinda showing that by just changing the meanings of words there anon.
>>
>>102424138
it doesn't really make sense as a metaphor, you aren't rejected before you actually apply.
>>
>speak cryptically about some situation no one understands
>calls other anons idiots for not understanding
>changes the meanings of well established terms

Anon, you ever think you might just not have gotten the job because no one knew the fuck what you were trying to communicate? Not trying to be mean but holy shit dropping the term blacklist and mentioning you are 'blacklisted' for something in your field is a great way to make employers pass on you at any interview. Food for thought don't mention or hint at the fact or possibility you were blacklisted, banned, or whatever unless you got some event that caused you to know 'oh shit I am not allowed to do X'. If I was interviewing someone, even for helpdesk, and they told me it was hard to get work because of some blacklist I'd quietly end the interview and then never respond to them again. Not a risk I am going to take if you tell me some stupid shit like that. I seriously, hope you haven't told people during interviews or at any point of the hiring process you believed you were blacklisted
>>
Best way to evaluate whether an online university is worthwhile: Check whether it offers theory-heavy science degrees. Think BSc Mathematics or Physics.
You don't necessarily need to study those subjects, but it's important that they're offered. For the purpose of this test, CS doesn't count.
If they only offer very applied career-focused degrees, that's a very bad sign.
>>
>>102424188
Having only WGU does prevent you from being interviewed, even to positions that you are qualified for. It's an informal blacklist.

>>102424192
It does, as you would be screened out before reaching an interview.

>>102424284
The point is that there is no hiring process, and once OMSCS is over there will be no blacklist to contend with so there would be no need for me to say anything about it. No one says those types of things to employers anyways though, you are supposed to present yourself the best way possible when getting a job.
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 224x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>102424530
I think being blacklisted but then being taken off the blacklist could be better though? Kind of like the hero's journey maybe?
>>
>>102423770
Most classes are very easy multiple choice tests with a jeet proctor staring at you from across the world. You don't learn much because there's barely any project assignments, itsl cheap automated crap but you have complete freedom over when you complete a class. The course content is outdated garbage but they give you access to some resources like Udemy. They'll also pay for shitty comptia certs but basically, you're on your own. It's a wholly independent experience.
>>
>>102424192
Can you imagine if OP has been going around telling people he's blacklisted from the industry so he's going back to school to remove this nonexistent thing. WGU isn't a blacklist thing OP, it's just as others have said it's very meh in terms of any usefulness without EXP mostly because WGU is a school for people with real world experience. This doesn't negate it's usefulness unless you're only applying for jobs that are Sr. level with only a degree, and 2 degrees with 0 exp will look even more suspicious.

The only thing you have to understand is a degree does not guarantee you a job anywhere. WGU degree only with their certificate building program of CompTIA will get you in the door, though without experience you're going to need to start from the bottom. There are hundreds of other things that cause you not to get the job and if you are going into interviews with this wild notion shit exists that doesn't, I can see why the pass would happen.

>>102424571
No, it doesn't none of this exists OP. Who told you this 'fact'?

>>102424602
There is NO BLACKLIST for having WGU on your resume, again what kinds of people do you hang out with that told you this because they are trolling you. Ever being on a blacklist is a cause for concern in the first place that any business or field would nope the FUCK out of dealing with you should you ever have been on one. I'll tell you a real blacklist for IT jobs, having a federal conviction on your record. That's a real one.
>>
>>102424651
Anon, I go to WGU and it is a pretty bad school. Shockingly bad. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a blacklist.
>>
What drives me crazy is how compliant many of the students are. I try to tell them the truth about WGU but they act like pathetic NPCs:

https://old.reddit.com/r/WGU/

I don't give a shit if you passed a class, where's the deeper discussion of the school's glaring flaws
>>
>>102424651
The existence of an informal blacklist has been confirmed by some people I know and shown from my experiences with a few thousand applications and no interviews. I had my resume critiqued a lot on cscareerquestions, which they eventually said it was all good after some edits. Also, I only applied to entry level jobs before I stopped. This confirms an informal blacklist from interviews which you may have not heard about up to this point or apparently don't believe exists. It's hard to blacklist someone after OMSCS though as I will have a degree from a top 20 school, so it will be relatively impossible to blacklist me at that point, or anyone else who takes the same path for that matter.
>>
>>102424720
I'm in the position where I interview and hire people, I also know others who do the same thing when I help out at local Community College courses.

Everyone knows WGU is a check-the-box school for HR, this was stated in the thread, it's most often used for people to transition from being technically focused to business, project, and management focused. It's for the people who have been engineers but hit a glass ceiling due to HR being archaic and wanting a degree prior to further promotions.

Yes, WGU is a so-so school for some fresh out of High School or the like to go to for proper training but it isn't BAD if the expectations for jobs are kept to any reasonable level. One of the main up sides to WGU is their CompTIA program which will basically cert you up with everything you need to start out in your carrier to get your foot in the door. I have no idea the types of jobs OP is applying for but if it's anything like what I've seen in the past from people boasting ITT Tech, ECPI, UoP, etc; they just simply aren't at all qualified. There is no blacklist, it's just not worth the risk or time to talk to someone with those degrees applying for Sr. Devops or Sr. Systems Engineer 150k starting WFH, when I don't even know if they can remote desktop.

>>102424755
>my circumstantial evidence proves me right
Anon seek literal help, have you tried going to a recruiting agency like TekSystems or staffing agencies? Have you looked into doing short term contracts? Have you contacted WGU about any job placement opportunities? Please don't tell me you uploaded to indeed and just clicking apply now, indeed apply now emails are worthless as they are all bot spam.

If you're going for another degree the best course of action is to... GET AN INTERNSHIP AND BUILD THAT RESUME. Internships = experience and turn heads.
>>
>>102424741
You have to understand that many, and I mean a lot of WGU, has experience in the field. WGU is a blessing because of it's pass/fail and basically braindump style testing for Comptia and other certs. It breaks the glass ceiling many IT staff have simply because HR or the field the work in REQUIRES a degree to advance even if they are fully skilled. WGU allows them to basically speedrun if they want or work around life stuff.

The real issue with the praise it gets is they don't tell people fresh out of HighSchool this so when they boast something like '80% of our students find better employment' all the numbers are fudged because the student body was already employed to begin with.

It's fairly obvious OP is using confirmational bias to convince himself of failure and ultimately some blacklist. Which isn't the case.
>>
>>102424816

The colleges you listed as similar to WGU are actually far worse honestly, because they are for profit and don't have regional accreditation, meaning you probably couldn't even work in government jobs that require a degree because they wouldn't recognize it, and you couldn't go to graduate school after those colleges.

I'm not really just saying that my own circumstances prove me right, I'm looking at a lot of different data points that lead me to the conclusion that OMSCS is the best option, and I probably would have done it at some point anyways even if I got a job offer without it. I am planning to do internships this time also, that's part of the basic plan to remove the blacklist as well.
>>
File: heroesjourney.jpg (30 KB, 398x400)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>102424871
I wouldn't say failure, more like the hero's journey
>>
>>102424883
>meaning you probably couldn't even work in government jobs that require a degree because they wouldn't recognize it
haha yeah, that's not what it means. Unaccredited just means government grants, relief, etc is not available and all must be done via private loans to cover the cost. A paper degree is a paper degree, which is why University of Phoenix got in such hot water a while back. Also some legal things such as BAR exam recognition, but a Bachelors is an HR check box for everyone.

A ECPI/ITT/University of Phoenix degree will still break you though a GS-7 position
>>
>>102425017
I spit on those schools, but if I bump into another WGU Night Owl I'll just fist bump them and say, "Keep your head up bro we can all make it out of the blacklist"
>>
WGU is pretty good for those who have experience. College degrees are useless now without experience. It is a checkbox to prove you have an IQ above a banana.
>>
There is no true blacklist, schizo. You should still do OMSCS though as the bar for that is a lot higher.
>>
I never took that many CS classes but we used to have computer lab classes where you showed your code and had to explain it to the instructor. Almost like an oral examination. The lab projects were pretty extensive. In my math classes, we had assignments, written exams and sometimes also oral examinations. Lectures were not mandatory. I never attended so called recitation sessions, instead prefering independent study.
>>
Why dont you idiots just go to your local school? Most employers want local people so they dont move away back to their friends and family.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.