[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: blackview_minipc.png (120 KB, 735x317)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
Is this acceptable for programming? I didn't realize how cheap computers are now. For less than 200$ looks competent to me.
>>
>>102425210
4.5Hz CPU ain't gonna get you very far anon
>>
>>102425210
>celeron
get one of the high end amd beelinks. Minisforum also has some good models

>programming
if you are doing C / C++ you will want as many cores as possible. Ninja can use all of them.
>>
>>102425414
I just want something /comfy/ idk about that stuff it has a fast CPU I need to learn to code on something that isn't a laptop with some shitty 5650u
>>
>>102425427
mini pcs have laptop cpus in them, and modern amd laptop cpus are fast as fuck. Don't get a shitty celeron lol spend at least $400-600 on one of these so you're not waiting forever, unless you're coding hello world using vim you will want more power.
>>
>>102425427
that laptop cpu is faster than the n95 in the minipc
just connect a monitor, keyboard, mouse, big speakers for blasting Boys by Charli XCX to your laptop
>>
>>102425414
>if you are doing C / C++ you will want as many cores as possible. Ninja can use all of them.

I thought these are supposed to be the performance languages?
>>
>>102425497
They are performant. At runtime. The compiling is slower as a result, you can speed it up with modules but it still takes some time to build.
>>
>>102425210
this is shovelwear, get something used better off ebay
>>
>>102425427
5650u is genuinely faster than the majority of computers out there and should be more than sufficient for someone learning to code.

What is the rest of the specs and why do you dislike your laptop?
>>
I bought a Beelink SER8, runs super fast and I can run bloated IDEs on it with ease. It cost me $630 tho for the 1TB / 32GB ram model.
>>
>>102425210
don't get the n95
n100 is available for like $120 in a 16gb ram configuration by the regular chinkware vendors

that being said your best option is probably just spending an extra $100 and getting a used m1 mini or new steam deck

a minipc with an r9 in it can also be had for <$400
>>
File: IMG_3051.jpg (356 KB, 1152x1100)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>102425210
ignore these faggots. If you are learning to program, just buy a cheap computer. you won’t be able to overwhelm the cpu on the first day, and multithreaded won’t matter to you for at least a year. so just get a cheap one and get started
>>
>>102425979
>n100 is available for like $120 in a 16gb ram configuration by the regular chinkware vendors
Such as?
>>
>>102426049
Agree about a cheap computer probs being enough for this.
Might as well learn the basics of using your threads early on tho.
#!/usr/bin/env python3
from concurrent.futures import ThreadPoolExecutor as TPX

def fizzbuzz(i : int):
fb = (not i % 3) * 'fizz' + (not i % 5) * 'buzz'

print(f'{i:3d}\t{fb or i}')

with TPX() as exe:
for i in range(1, 101):
exe.submit(fizzbuzz, i)
>>
>>102425210
Just get a used Optiplex from ebay (from a reputable refurbisher with actual reviews)

Still under $200 but will run rings around that thing. You can find refurbishers that will fit SSDs and install Windows 11 if you're a baby duck but I always wind up adding an SSD myself and installing Linux (only game development requires Windows and given what you're buying I'm guessing you're not doing that)

Businesses replace their entire fleet as soon as they're out of warranty (like 3 years max) so the market is flooded with cheap ones

I use 1 as a desktop, 2 as home servers, 1 as a HTPC. Also got a spare knocking around. I have a Windows 11 gaming PC but I spend 95% of my time on a Linux Optiplex or Precision

Avoid the miniature ones, they come with shitty laptop CPUs and you'll hear the fan ramping up and down. SFF is best. Compact and cheap but still a proper desktop CPU. The larger MT aren't worth it unless you want to fit a workstation GPU or something, but you won't be fitting much of an aftermarket GPU because the PSU is bespoke and limited and the newer chassis only have 1x 3.5" bay like the SFF anyway so you may as well just get SFF

Dell Precision are even better if you want to get fancy but you don't need it for a cheap coding machine (4 RAM slots and generally higher quality)
>>
File: microdata.png (102 KB, 910x377)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
is this a better choice?
>>
>>102428091
No because this would dick all over it
Compiling code on your CPU and only 8GB RAM would be miserable
>>
File: bmax.png (156 KB, 908x382)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>102428233
I think I found a winner.
>>
>>102428257
It's still the same shit N100 CPU, a laptop would out-perform it, stop trolling
>>
>>102428309
Yes but I get free shipping and is almost 80 spanish golden coins cheaper.
>>
if you are this financially destitute OP just get a used laptop
>>
>>102425210
Just get a Raspberry Pi 5.
>>
I fell in a canal with my work laptop in my backpack (weird story) and managed to do my work for that week entirely on a raspberry pi.

That sucked ass though, would not recommend. For such a thing I wouldn't recommend using the minipc for programming, but instead as a smart terminal, that connects to a cloud instance somewhere, with full desktop and everything. That's pretty good if your network connection is good.
>>
You realize if OP is learning programming he's going to write the same shitty CLI hello world people have been writing for the last 40 years right? A N100 is about as capable as a mid range desktop CPU from the early 2010. If anything it's overkill to learn programming.
>>
>>102430045
>smart terminal
What is this 80's?
>>
>>102425210
>Is this acceptable for programming?
pretty much any cheap computer is OK for programming.
what will suck is compile times, but we both know you're not going to be compiling anything thats going to max out the cheapest celeron for more than 10 seconds
>>
>>102428423
You can get a more powerful regular size PC for less. Simple as.
But if you want something small that's fine too.

>>102430006
He wants a PC, not an appliance.

>>102430045
Dumbest post ITT.
>>
>>102425210
no. You need at least $300 for coding equipment. Back to taco bell with you.
>>
>>102425210
get at least a N200 cpu

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.