[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: meme is missing!.jpg (16 KB, 433x505)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I'll preface by saying that I am in no way a tech savvy person so maybe there's something obvious we're missing, but here's what happened
>friend saves image of funny Tiananmen Square shirt. He opens discord, wants to post it to the gc. He clicks the plus icon to add the file, but in the discord image gallery, the same image shows the shirt being blank
>as in, everything in the image is the exact same, except that the Tiananmen Square meme, the shirt's blank as if it's been erased
>When I post the image, the meme is there even though the thumbnail is seemingly censored
>picrelated
>We're speculating it's some kind of convoluted compression in discord's gallery view
>he goes to discord tech channel to ask about it
>They say they don't take him seriously, he is subsequently banned.
So I tried it for myself.
>I go to google.
>search up for "Tiananmen Square meme shirt"
>download several to sample and see if the same thing happens
>same thing happens for me, the thumnail is missing the funni meme
Is there a logical explanation for this like some kind of jpeg layering, or is Discord going through a CCP filter?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>102435960
I refuse, but the friend I mentioned is on Arch unironically
>>
discord uses google to host.
so google is the one making the thumb in this case.
its interesting, you should post the meme pic here.
>>
saved the frame of the animated image where it shows the back of the shirt
>>
>>102435941
jpeg can save its own thumbnail in the file.
maybe seller photoshopped a picture of a blank shirt into a meme and the thumbnail didnt update
>>
File: Original image.jpg (21 KB, 436x519)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>102436102
Here's the original image
>>
>>102436246
That's an idea we had. We thought maybe since it's obviously a photoshopped image, that the thumbnail hadn't been updated from the original. The odd thing though is that we saw the same thing happen on a few different images.
>>
File: 1000008225.jpg (94 KB, 550x800)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Friend of OP here.

>>102436102
picrel is original meme shirt. ironically, while browsing for the image to post here i see the thumbnail is also missing. I am phone posting atm so its not discord specific but it is on mobile only.
>>
>>102436271
>We thought maybe since it's obviously a photoshopped image, that the thumbnail hadn't been updated from the original.
That's exactly what's happening.
>The odd thing though is that we saw the same thing happen on a few different images.
Why is that odd?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.