[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: why.gif (1.97 MB, 498x211)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
> GitHub-like website
> repo hosting, issues, pull requests, discussions, etc
> everyone is anonymous, no user names at all, exactly how it works in here
> only maintainers have accounts, like how mods do in here
> maintainers are still anonymous but their contributions to repos they own gets a maintainer tag, like how mod posts in here get a mod tag
> contributions to third-party repos will be anonymous without any tags, like everyone else's contributions
> all issues are anonymous
> all commits are anonymous
> all pull requests are anonymous
> all discussion posts are anonymous
> essentially, all contributions are anonymous
> no emails, user names, or other identifying information gets pushed to git during commits
So why is this not a thing yet?
>>
>>102436475
>Anonymous
>Modern web and software development
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
File: 1711373046555.jpg (4 KB, 250x236)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>102436475
>he thinks everyone is anonymous here
>>
>>102436475
because anonymous contributions means nobody gets credit for their work, especially important when employers view your history
secondly it means if someone changes the license of the work, nobody can prove that their rights were infringed because they didn't consent to the change
additionally malicious actors would be untraceable and the number of projects they have tainted would be unknown
>>
>>102436510
>>102436525
>no user names at all
>exactly how it works in here
Maybe a bit of reading comprehension yeah?
It's implied this would be 4chan "anonymous".
>>
>>102436475
A lot of OSS fags do it because of the benefit to their internet reputation. The anonymity aspect is only appealing to trolls and maintainers who are stuck in toxic projects.
>>
>>102436475
I for one thought it is a cool concept
I'd be considerably more comfortable with a couple of first pull requests for easy bug fixes or features if it didn't incur the possibility of forever tainting a username I use with the tag "retard"
>>
>>102436525
I'm anonymous.
>>
>>102436475
Short answer is malware
Long answer is fuck you
>>
>>102436619
It would might also make people more comfortable with contributing to random projects. Without getting their user name, that they might also use for work related stuff on github, permanently attached to those projects.
Some companies won't let you contribute to open source at all, this is one way to solve that issue.

>additionally malicious actors would be untraceable
Just add an ID like we do here on certain boards.
Contributions to a repo get a "Anonymous (ID: 89Tqx5Mx)" name or something added to it.
>>
File: 1705989957464882.jpg (41 KB, 590x350)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>102436643
I'm anonymous!
>>
>>102436559
>>102436699
Forgot the reply and the image
>>
so everyone can enshittify everything

very bright, very bright
>>
>>102436475
so you can spam pull requests with chatgpt slop and then bail out and do it again effortlessly if somebody calls you out for it?
>>
>>102436559
>Implying that untraceable supply chain attacks won't happen by having usernames
>>102436667
>Implying that it's easier to avoid malware by having usernames
>>102436794
>Implying that you can prevent code from being enshittified by having usernames
>>102436840
>Implying that you can prevent AI slop from being posted by having usernames
Have any of you taken a good look at the absolute state of software and package managers right now?
It's not like usernames are making it any better, just makes it easier to sell your data and your code to ClosedAI.
When signing up for a github account you agree to let them use your code for AI training purposes, you have no choice but to agree if you want an account.
Fuck that, I don't want my GPL'd code being stolen and used to train some proprietary AI model that will spit out my own code back verbatim without any licensing information.
>>
>>102436475
>So why is this not a thing yet?
You seem to be a newfren
>>
>>102436582
mods know your ip and have a log of all your shitposts

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.