[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1040__32312.1709296143.jpg (153 KB, 1280x989)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>Currently work IT help desk level 1
>Earn ~$65k/year
>Applied for level 2 position, was a ball of nerves, and got told that my answers were more technical than they were looking for
>Coworker who joined level 1 a year after me gets the position
>He has CompTIA A+ cert
>Have started studying for it

I feel like I make a decent amount of money currently for my position. However, level 1 has started to become mind numbing with how repetitive it is and hearing employees bitch about "THIS IS A PRIORITY, I CANT DO MY WORK" (99% of the time it's not) and other day to day absolute retardations. Bosses are alright and benefits are great so I have that going, but I'm starting to perform somewhat worse as I'm getting tired. I still somehow seem to perform better than most of my coworkers without trying so that's cool, but I feel stuck and lost. Losing the promotion also really sucked as I feel I was genuinely qualified for it, just didn't perform well in the interview. Any advice? Sorry for the rambling, just kinda putting thoughts in.
>>
Also get consistent shit from the higher up teams when the documentation we have is shit. Mostly rely on info from past tickets to know which escalation team something goes to. Besides the shit knowledge docs, the teams also just blame us for shit when they're the ones often fucking up.
>>
>>102437961
Certificates basically show you have some level of drive to climb up to management. getting an A+ might seem trivial to some but in HD it shows you've gone out of your way and time to try and climb up. That's enough to take someone from HD up, because the amount of HD people I know often get into the position and just want to stay there for normal easy tasks on the 9-5 hitting their numbers and nothing more.

t. manager
>>
>>102438348
Thanks
>>
>>102438348
Who wants to be a manager?
>>
Bump
>>
$65K salary for L1? Which state are you in?
>>
I make 70K for help desk. I’m too lazy to go above help desk and don’t want more responsibility
>>
>>102437961
>look for a job in my country
>20k/year as a programmer
I fucking hate my country
>>
> got told that my answers were more technical than they were looking for
another qualification won't help you work on your communication skils
>>
>>102441037
Tennessee. Is this good or bad?
>>
>>102441078
Also level 1 I'm assuming? What state anon?
>>
>>102441395
This is it. That's really where I failed. I failed to adequately communicate. I don't know why I was so nervous. Seems like it comes and goes for me but it's mostly there. I don't know how to change it.
>>
Three years ago, I was a helpdesk lvl 1 with no certs at an msp and only made 30k lol (I'm in a poor state).

The msp I worked for was going to give me a raise if I got a cert, but I ended up getting a job somewhere else.

I HATE taking exams and took the 901 once and failed it, but really if I would have just studied more and didn't dick around, I could have easily passed it.

Tbh your situation it sounds like you're starting to experience burnout.

Maybe try to take a few days off work. Interviews are just something that I got better at with time and doing more of them.

GL anon
>>
I have to do the AZ-305 Microsoft exam this month but I don't want to
>>
you seem paid well and work is easy? dunno why you're complaining. if you're bored get a hobby or fill your excess time learning something if you don't already have a gf/wife to waste your time.
>>
>>102441395
>things are more technical than we expected
>therefore you're not qualified
Make it make sense to someone who may be on the spectrum
Is this another one of those things where people are lying because they don't want to say the real reason?
>>
>>102442382
Op here. I've honestly considered the possibility of mild Asperger's. Can't tell if that's out just very bad social anxiety. The funny thing is, sometimes I feel highly confident in myself and can carry great conversations with people, and then most of the time I just don't even know what to say to people or run out of things to say. I doubt I'm actually aspie or autistic as I'm pretty aware of subtle social queues and my gut feeling on people has often been sharper and more accurate than most others I know. This shit really sucks and I don't know how to fix it. I have low self esteem also.
>>
>>102442613
I'm similar
If it's something I know I can feel confident and have decent back and forth with but if it turns and the convo gets to be just me going, yeah, sure, mm-hmm, etc is when I shut down.
I also find myself having a very small social battery. If I'm working with someone or people for more than a few days, I find myself exhausted. If places are too crowded I feel a sense of urgency to move away.
I have a hard time comprehending body language beyond the obvious but I'm not sure this is a mental thing or just inability to precive certain things due to very bad vision.

On the plus side, I must not be too offensive as everyone I've worked with seems to like working with me. Many women have outright said they feel much more comfortable with me than alot of other men, I'm sure someone will say that means they think I'm gay or something. The people who only pass me by or have small talk don't seem to care for me however.
>>
>>102437961
Where the fuck do get 65k for tier 1
>>
>>102443458
There are cities where there are shortages of IT workers
>>
>>102443520
I'm in Chicago and all I see are 40-50k for tier 1. I'm trying dicked here and I do a mix of t1 and t2 with some sys admin. All I get is 55k
>>
>>102443551
Getting dicked*
>>
>>102443551
I started as a contractor at about $15/hour, then when I became a company employee I was salaried at $55k, then $61k, and now $65k.
>>
>>102442259
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will take some time off. Too bad I've got other shit to do. Not really much time for a vacation at the moment.

>>102443312
That's exactly it for me minus the body language. Part of it is also that I don't want to fuckin talk to anyone but I gotta.
>>
insane that zoomers are complaining about these salaries
when i started as a java developer it was 35k
that was only 10 years ago
>>
>>102443679
You need to make $50k to afford rent in a dumpy apartment.
>>
>>102443679
I'm a millennial. Not complaining about my salary, I'm just worn out.
>>
>>102443788
Also this is kinda the sad reality these days
>>
>>102443679
This guy doesn't know about inflation. That's basically what 50k is today.
>>
>>102442382
>>102437961
T1 and T2 usually work with end users and only with T3 there's a probability of someone tech literate involved on the other side.
T1 might as well be a bot these days, as his job is to check if user has a pulse and didn't do anything turbo retarded, get his contact information and record his issue into CRM.
T2 job is to collect information about the issue itself and do a quick investigation and then resolve the issue without making customer uncomfortable, cause he already is stressed out with T1 bullshittery. So keep your nerdy details to yourself, ask generalized questions and try to keep customer engaged while you're checking whatever monitoring systems, if you need customers assistance - dumb it down into simple, one sentence instructions, avoid technical lingo, cause often you'll talk to a non-tech normie. Keep in mind, that both you and the customer are interested in resolving it at that stage, since once T3 are involved costs and timelines for everyone involved tend to explode.
t. been in T2 slavery
>>
Bump
>>
I make 90k for helpdesk...but my boss paid for me to take A+ then Net+ and now I'm in a Sec+ class. I didn't study IT in school so they help.
>>
>>102445164
Very nice, you also level 1? What city? I hear almost everyone on your board his to net+ cause of the money, but I also heard that security has miserable hours. What do you think?
>>
>>102445305
Level 1&2. DC area, I work normal hours at a client's office. It's mostly working with boomers and printers.
>>
What kind of requirements do you need for t1 help desk?
>>
>>102445728
Mostly customer service experience is what they'll look for at this level. You then learn as you go. That's been my situation at least. I'm now starting CompTIA A+ which will hopefully strengthen my resume.
>>
>>102437961
Fucking Americans, in Europe you make like 30K max for a helpdesk job.
>>
>>102445882
Yeah but you guys get a whole month of vacation, free healthcare, etc. We have 2 weeks vacation here and healthcare is unbelievably expensive.
>>
>>102437961
how long have you had the job?
been trying to get into help desk but no bites
>>
>>102437961
65k usd for help desk level 1???

where the FUCK is this? how much are houses where you live?
>>
>>102447087
Southern us

>>102446647
About 2 years. Certifications and customer service experience helps.
>>
>>102447087
Forgot to add. Average home prices go anywhere between $250k-$600k.
>>
Bump
>>
>>102437961
I have 14 yrs exp, degree, certifications. No one will hire me, had countless final round interviews. I am trying to get tier 1 help desk, and field tech jobs now. Just failed my excel, powerpoint, word, Windows 7 helpdesk test for a lawfirm. The day of the rope is at hand.
>>
>>102445164
>I'm in a Sec+ class
I passed this in a weekend of youtube videos I didn't even need to watch. The more certs and edu I get the less people hire me.
>>
>>102441934
That's good. Must be a fed job
>>
>>102437961

> Asking us instead of asking your manager why you didn't get chosen.
>>
>>102449596
I did, he said they hired someone "more qualified"
>>
>>102437961
It's the worst job I ever had. Never again.
>>
>>102445935
FOY you don't know how good you have it
>>
>>102450064
Why's that? What do you do now?
>>
>>102450064
What are you doing now?
im not the other anon asking either
>>
>>102450603
>>102450617
Couldn't stand the bureaucracy, dumbass managers, entitled fucking clients, snobbery amongst your fellow ITtards, constant overtimes, stress etc. etc. Full of fucking s o y faggots.
>>
What really bothers me is someone who got a CompTIA cert didn't accomplish shit, and its unfortunate credentials and degrees don't prove anything about a person. I have A+ and Network+ but didn't learn a damn thing. I can almost tell you what dense wave division multiplexing is, something about multiple communications traveling through a single fiber strand on every color of wavelength but I can't quite remember.
Its something with the way they design the exam. CompTIA is really compromised
I wish I had taken a vendor specific cert. so at least I could configure a router.
>>
>>102450926
Eh vendor neutral stuff matters. If the government did not require security + CompTIA alone would have fallen by the way side. You still learn more with the three certifications then you ever would with a bachelors degree. But in reality its all surface level shit that can be learned watching youtube or reading certification books. Good for entry but wont get you farther than that. CCNA is much harder and requires alot more labs to get proficient. CCNP requires deeper knowledge in the TCP/IP suite so reading 2-4 1000+ page books on the subject is a requirement to even completing that certification. All in all its about learning the vocabulary and IT as a whole is more about reading comprehension then it is about deeper engineering solutions to larger problems. Those problems are reserved for the engineers who have masters degrees and many many more certifications.
>>
>>102437961
How do I get a job in IT help desk L1? what skills do I need?
>>
>>102437961
$65K for T1 is insane bro. Im in a similar situation where im trapped here. Losing my goddamn mind
>>
>>102437981
Can't you just improve the documentation?

Literally just make some notes, compile them into something coherent and then hand them around to people.

> hurr durr "not my job"
That is why you will remain a level 1 retard
>>
>>102451824
Showing initiative and solving problems is what people are looking for. Higher tiers are proactive not reactive.
>>
>>102451695
>>102445811
>>
>>102451824
I fucking wish but I have no power over them. I don't have the access to edit shit.
>>
>>102452044
Then just make it outside of their system
>>
>>102452054
And that's what I do. I keep it mostly in my memory and add extensive notes in all of my tickets. The other teams don't update shit regardless. The stereotypes about IT being lazy as hell turned out true. Can't be assed to do anything they "don't have to".
>>
>>102452069
Don't keep it in your memory, document it in one place. Make a wiki somewhere, or print it out or whatever, then give it to people when they fuck something up.
>>
>>102450926
And why does that matter to you, someone who is (I'm assuming) not a hiring manager? How do you think people got jobs before certs and degrees? You shouldn't care about certs and degrees at all aside from if they can help you get a job. If they're easy even better. Stop acting like the jobs are hiring incompetent retards because of certs, chances are they would have done the same back then.
>>
>>102452167
Will do
>>
Do companies care/is it worth getting a Cisco cert? Or is Comptia+ enough?
>>
>>102451610
>IT as a whole is more about reading comprehension
Fucking this. Outside of math faggots, the best tech people I've met had degrees in shit like linguistics. The first great filter is those who can stand to RTFM.
>>
>>102452493
Like half of linguistics are combinatorics in a very fancy hat, so im not surprised.
>>
Bump
>>
>>102439903
>When you're smart, you're in engineering
>When you know you're not smart enough for engineering, you're in sales
Management is the third group neither smart, nor smart enough to realize that they're not smart.
>>
>>102437961
Why the fuck do you tinybrain IT monkeys think you belong on this board?
>>
>>102450881
But what are you doing now?
>>
>>102455441
code niggers should stay in their cubicle and keep quiet
>>
>>102455441
I've talked to a lot of you supposed geniuses and have seen you get lost on hilariously simple stuff
>>
Bump
>>
>>102455441
Go back to ur cubicle and code lil bitch boy monkey
>>
Why stay in tech support? Why not go to sysadmin or specialize in another field?

If you're making 60k, and can bump it to 100k in 2 years, why not?

Fuck Cisco, just do the Network+ unless you're looking to work with cisco gear.
Ditto for Juniper/JNCIA.

Learn Windows Sysadmin (you probably already have a little bit), learn how to take proper notes and documentation, markdown + git = success.

Starting from 0, I would go A+ -> Network+ -> Security+ -> Specialize in a specific field/aread through doing personal time projects if my current position does not allow for developing those skills on the clock
>>
>>102455471
>>102456569
>>102458954
My printer stopped working, go fix it peon
>>
I left my customer service (non-IT) job back in April, I have a little over 4 years experience from that job. I will be finishing up my A+ when I take the Core 2 exam in a few days so I plan on applying for help desk jobs as soon as I finish. Should I start studying immediately for Net+ and Sec+ or should I focus more on learning on the job and start studying for higher certs in 6 months or so? I do not want to spend another 4 years in customer support if I can help it.

I am interested in learning about cyber security and would like to start doing some hobby programming.
>>
>>102455441
>saaarrrr pls install PHP 4.0 so I can make a webapp with my shitty bad and outdated habits and pls clean it up when it gets hacked
Shut the fuck up, nobody cares what you want Gupta.
>>
>>102461469
Get the certs in parallel. Study at work during downtime, tell your boss its for upskilling. Benefits them + you. Even better is to get them to pay for the attempts.
>>
>>102450292
This
>>
>>102437961
Pay rises and promotions are used to attract new employees. The only way to get either is to change jobs.

t.fell for the boomer job loyalty meme for 13 years.
>>
no one gets a $65k/yr helpdesk job without nepotism. OP is a larping NEET, coping and seething. no one gets $65k/yr usd without certs, degrees, charisma, and extreme luck.
>>
>>102450603
NTA, but I felt the same way about helpdesk. I found each role wanted me to run a full time call center while performing levels 1-3 of support. I encountered a lot of gatekeeping and stick and carrot games from management, and dealing with usercucks on the phone started giving me anxiety.
I have a very chill job doing building maintenance shit now. I make more money and don't have nearly as much stress. My mental and physical health improved immensely. IT pay at the lower levels isn't very impressive after the pandemic, and you can tell the industry is still shilling this crap as a dream job so they can keep the pay as low as possible while seeing how much of a sucker you'll be by working well above your pay grade.
>>
>>102465267
>IT pay at the lower levels isn't very impressive after the pandemic, and you can tell the industry is still shilling this crap as a dream job
Beats flipping burgers. Damn that shit gets old quick.
>>
>>102465288
>Beats flipping burgers.
What is hilarious is helpdesk shit made me miss crappy jobs like that. All you have to do is one thing at a time. There's no oncall, no cert/skill grind, no c-suite interaction. You just flip that fucking burger and people leave you alone.
Helpdesk wants you doing 100 things all at once with some retard in your ear on the phone the entire time. Then when you are exhausted you get bullshit oncall duties keeping you up all night and fucking up your weekends. And the burger flipping job now pays almost as much.
>>
>>102465397
>oncall duties
You get overtime for that, right?
>>
>>102465267
>>102465397
if someone offered me $65k/yr for helpdesk i would say thank you very much, show up early every day, and shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>102443679
35k in mumbai is killing it though
>>
File: 1704232631821677.png (547 KB, 646x837)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>102465397
I made a promise to never return to helldesk and so far I've kept my promise (at the consequence of being unemployed), because that shit is not worth losing my sanity for such a little pay check.

Seriously they expect you to be a sysadmin, a network expert, and to be a desk jockey for retards who can't figure out how to even describe the problem they're having. Oh also we need you to drive to the office because... just because ok?

>>102465464
ok retard.
>>
>>102438348
If you had a helpdesk worker mention how they obtained their CISSP randomly one day, would you move them to level 3 (assuming the have A+, Network+, and Security+)?
>>
>>102448875
Put less on your resume, of course.
>>
>>102450926
>I can almost tell you what dense wave division multiplexing is, something about multiple communications traveling through a single fiber strand on every color of wavelength but I can't quite remember.
>Its something with the way they design the exam.
None of that shit matters. Certs are only for getting past HR, and demonstrating the capacity to learn a specific skill or apply it if it's not vendor neutral.
>>
>>102441957
kenny werner’s books. they’re mainly geared towards musicians but it’ll work for any profession
>>
>>102465528
there's nothing retarded about it except your whining.
>>
File: 1722031451952688.png (329 KB, 600x1156)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
>>102465657
You also gonna work overtime unpaid?
>>
>>102465669
it depends on the work. a few hours per week no big deal. anything more than that needs to be paid. always get it in writing. if the company is legit, paying OT shouldn't be an issue.
>>
How do I become a techjannie like this? What age is too late?
I am planning to do basic certs, reading necessary info from textbooks and online resources, but any anon advice would be nice
>>
>>102465539
I would gift them my 14 year old daughter to command and breed.
Then promote them to CEO and spend my remaining days hunting their enemies in the shadows.
>>
File: Kurisu.png (1.5 MB, 1920x1200)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>102465849
Markets fucked get a degree in whatever IT/CS related shit you can find. If you already have one then get a MBA.

Certs A+, Net+, Sec+. Then CCNA. After that you can specialize in whatever career you want too. But networking is the basics. Books go to Cisco Press and get some essential books. These are bare bone basic books that basically cover the same content as the Comptia Trifecta. If not you can find most PDF's for free on all certification books and there is a ton of youtube content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZXXNKAY5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpYfyNmWbw
https://www.ciscopress.com/store/browse/books#!?sort=Relevance&query=essentials&currentPage=1

The key here is to build your vocabulary. You got a ton of terms to learn and much more content to cover so you can mentally picture the problems you will face.
For the long term you also need to cover TCP/IP
https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Network-How-Works-Modern/dp/0128110279
https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Guide-Comprehensive-Illustrated-Protocols/dp/159327047X
https://www.amazon.com/Routing-TCP-IP-1-2nd/dp/1587052024
https://www.amazon.com/Routing-TCP-IP-Professional-Development/dp/1587054701

Absolutely vital for specialized jobs to learn TCP/IP Suite
>>
>>102466040
Blessed week to your bloodline
>>
>>102465642
Any particular one?
>>
Besides knocking the CISSP requirement for experience down by one year, is the CCSK worth a damn?
>>
>>102465539
Do it and report back
>>102455441
Mechanical engineers do not necessarily make good mechanics anymore than good software engineers and computer scientists make good IT helpdesk workers, or (increasingly more rare) computer repairmen. There is overlap in these fields, but it is not a equivelence.
>>
>>102465539
>If you had a helpdesk worker mention how they obtained their CISSP randomly one day,
How the hell are you going to obtain a CISSP as helpdesk? Do you even know the requirements for it?
https://www.isc2.org/certifications/cissp/cissp-experience-requirements
>>
>>102468432
You only need to meet two of the domain requirements. Tier 1 HD probably won't qualify, but certain Teir 2 roles will. Also, associate status is not denied to helpdesk workers. Perhaps answer the question instead of being insufferable and pedantic.
>>
>>102468466
T1 or T2 would be seen as a paper cert only or liar.
>Also, associate status is not denied to helpdesk workers.
The only people I know who even have CISSP with HD attached are those who got steamrolled it through government work. Generally to hit that DOD 8507 standard.

>Perhaps answer the question instead of being insufferable and pedantic.
The question doesn't grasp what CISSP is so that's why I responded with that. A CISSP like my coworker is and others I have worked with, usually do what I do sitting in meeting with other departments, HR, Legal, etc all looking at large scope changes to align with ISO/NIST requirements, THEN look at a technical aspect on how to align these policies with the business focus.

I doubt a T1 or T2 helpdesk with A+/N+/S+, who pops up with a CISSP would get much traction because there isn't much to be had. What administrative or management projects have you performed to understand why a CISSP does what they do? How many policy changes have you proposed and implemented to align supporting business continuity?

A CCNA with their Security focus would be the way to go long before trying to nab a CISSP then walking in to a meeting with HR, Legal, Insurance brokers, C levels, and auditors asking you if your DB network is secured with proper ACL's with only privileged users accessing each resource, proving all user accounts are limited along with the enpoints for accessing them, and full TLS between app and BD. Then how to document and prove that in under an hour.
>>
>>102468560
Your response was even more pedantic, but at least you answered the question in one sentence.
>I doubt a T1 or T2 helpdesk with A+/N+/S+, who pops up with a CISSP would get much traction because there isn't much to be had.
I would fucking hate to work with you or, god forbid, under you. Take a business English class ffs. Also, many people who are promoted to a management position from a technical one tend to struggle because of the transition to a more social/business oriented position where the going concern becomes more of the focus than the actual system (I.e. competing interests contesting for limited resources) which means any person looking to move up must take training whether funded by the company or by one's self. You might have the leverage to say CISSP would be overkill in this regard if you didn't already commit to a stance where whoever owns the cert should be responsible to the parties you've listed, but on the other side of the coin I would be repeating myself by calling you pedantic over and over even if by exposition. I don't know where you work, but I hope you get a promotion.
>>
>>102466040
Thank you, once I get my wellbutrin prescription I'll start on this.
>>
>>102469596
>wellbutrin
First time hearing about that med. Lol.
>>102467739
Don't know, but im curious what managers and HR think about the CCZT
>>
>>102466040
any certs that i should avoid wasting my time on?
i heard the google ones are shit
>>
>>102470008

Focus on Comptia first, then the big Cs (CCNA, CISSP). There are some others, but generally avoid anything vendor specific unless you PLAN on working with that vendor.

This doesn't apply to microsoft certs and AWS certs.

Also, some advice needed. Decided between two T1 Helpdesk jobs.

1. Government, 66k salary, max out at 76k (should be 76k this month). Full remote, contractish position. After the 76k, probably no room to grow but I'm on a ladder to 12, so we'll see. I pay for benefits.

2. IT at a big fast food place (Canes, chickfila, mcdonalds.) Benefits paid for, 75k. Permanent, hybrid (8-10 days a month in office. 35 minutes away). Free lunch onsite though.
>>
>>102469596
No need technology may be frustrating at times but learning and solving problems is fun. The closest job similar to us aside from the pay scale is mechanics. The moment they or us stop learning you might as well retire.
>>102470008
Google, Microsoft, IBM are mega shit.
Only good one from Microsoft is Azure.
IBM is only good for Redhat linux certifications.

The key take away is that you need networking up until the CCNA first to be functional at all in any job. Then you need to learn TCP/IP like the books that I linked if you want to really specialize in any IT related field. That will give you the much needed basics for long term growth since the basics matter alot. Even if you do not take Comptia's A+ or Net+ you should still read up and watch some videos over it to ensure you have the basics since most interviews start out with the easy shit.
>>
>>102439903
>Who wants to be a manager?
Anyone who wants to make enough to buy a house.
>>
>>102437961
I'll warn you, level 2 stuff isn't any better. It's just solving more complex and difficult problems the level 1 monkeys couldn't sort out.
>>
>>102466040
Got an IT degree now, and looking to get into a MBA. My gpa is shit though. Any recommendations or tips for the MBA in general pre/post?
>>
>>102469091
Anon CISSP is not so much technical as it is for people who are aligning IT practices and systems with business needs and goals.

Someone in Helpdesk generally doesn't think about that. The rest of your post screams inexperience so a CISSP interview would have you being laughed out and your CISSP look like a cheat.

>You might have the leverage to say CISSP would be overkill
It's not overkill it's worthless to someone who doesn't understand what CISSP entails in the day to day. You're acting like it's just something you 'get' then walk in and learn some part of a system. It's not, it deals far more with business needs and aligning security policies to your infrastructure, and finally being able to roll out a plan that affects the business operations the least. Someone who's been on T1/T2 helpdesk generally won't understand that. What company is going to risk the ISO, NIST, law compliance, and data insurance programs to some Helpdesk worker who at best may know how to create vlans but doesn't know why they need them? Answer is they won't.

A CISSP without any kind of SysAdmin, NetAdmin, DevOps, or the like is pretty much a paper cert guy. Maybe they are good for a company who needs ISO 27001 backup employee but good luck finding that.

This isn't being a dick this is exactly how the world works.
>>
File: hccib7b111821.png (459 KB, 640x568)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
>>102470728
Work on Statistics, Accounting, Supply Chain Management, Systems Engineering, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Research skills ie citing your work and arguing your point.

Then you can focus on GMAT/GRE or whatever the fucking college requires. Military strategy books & philosophy books are good reads if your seriously doubting your ability there great for forming arguments that you will need for your papers. You really can just hit 10-15 books in both subjects that interest you the most. Actual business books suck dick.

You need to work on public speaking and reading from a document also. I recommend acting out fantasy books like Lord of the Rings since its engaging and a large part of the dissertation grade.

Honestly not to hard but more of a steeper learning curve then research papers you are used too.
>>
>>102470847
Thanks for this,

Public Speaking has been one of my weak points in my career, def need to make strides in that.
>>
I've got a friend that owns his own security company. Once I pass some TCM courses he's going to fast track me into a SOC analyst position either with his company or somewhere else. Giving myself a few months to complete the courses and then I should have a decent remote job to get started in the field. Biding my time at the moment.
>>
>>102470728
Post MBA is a crapshoot. The main reason to get it is to signal to managers that you know more then them(not really). It gives you the most flexibility out of most masters degrees to the point that a CS masters would be a waste of time. For jobs now you need a Masters degree MBA preferred if you want to move up to larger management positions. The actual education is not that bad but its an investment in flexibility just like a bachelors is. Doctorate and PhD is for professors/scientists in any specialty. You can get a science PhD if you want to work in industry then you will see that shit pay off but if your doing research as a scientist your basicly paid less then trashmen are.

>>102470933
Public speaking is a major part of the Dissertation its not a joke read some fiction books and start acting.
>>
>>102439903
I did briefly. I took a job as the head of the IT department at some company and I hated it. It didn't really pay very well either but my plan was to have it on my CV and get a higher paying management job down the line. I'm a devops engineer now and get paid double what I did as a manager.
>>
Is it even worth getting a General Studies Associates Degree? I dread schooling.
>>
>>102471102
Yeah but fucking why? Those bullshit degrees are for people that change majors 3 times, but still have enough credits to graduate. Just get an IT degree if you want to be lazy, barely any math and the tech side is at least somewhat useful.
>>
>>102471188
I should've said is any associate's degree worth getting? Will HR filter me out with it? An associates degree is all I can afford right now.
>>
>>102471209
Its cheaper then getting a full bachelors but you really have to see what college will accept the transfer credits.

Your best bet right now would be doing CLEP/DANTES to get college credits with tests that only cost $100 a piece. There hard tests but there's plenty of free material. I have completed 6 college classes doing so. Then you apply that to the college you want to go too. Also check the college prior to doing CLEP/DANTES.
>>
>>102471237
How far could someone get with an Associates? I want to go Help Desk -> Data Analyst -> Data Engineer. Does this sound realistic?
>>
>>102471335

I mean yeah, it's more about what you know and networking.

Can have a BS and with this market no one will hire you because the next guy has a BS in CS and knows his shit.
>>
>>102471335
Help desk anon. But you make up for it with certifications by a wide margin. Getting your associates, Security+ and CCNA would get you pretty far since most IT people do not have bachelors degrees at all.

Data Science is more degree required(data science, stats, CS - with masters preferred) but you can get your foot in the door with Redhat Linux certification, Database coding experience and CCNA. This is about what i know for it. You will have to research alot more about it on your own to see what the job postings require. I am a network tech by trade and half of us do not have degrees at all.
>>
>>102469091
>>102470839
You're both retarded to the core. Any promotion or job you're gonna want will require experience and networking with the right people. CISSP for the most part is just a compliance item to check the box for government organizations and contractors that work with them.
>>
>>102465539
You would jump ship to a security analyst position and work helpdesk++

If you have a+/net+/sec+ and haven't escaped helpdesk you fucked up
>>
>>102471418
>CISSP for the most part is just a compliance item to check the box for government organizations and contractors that work with them.
LOL no, DoD 8750 is what a lot of people get CISSP's for but those are all paper desk pushers. They aren't getting hired outside gov work
>>
>>102470008
>>102470395
thanks for the replies, anons
>>
>>102472087
That's what I inferred. Good job.
>>
>>102470635
Which direction would you go if you were in my position?
>>
What I need to learn to have the IT help desk job?
>>
>>102472318
Unironically comptia A+ and Network+ certification material. Getting the certs will help you land the job easier, but obviously it's not mandatory for the entry level.
>>
>>102472318
Nothing
>>
>>102442382
i want to try, i think i understand, but describing it feels pointlessly mean so maybe examples would be good. have you ever dealt with someone who you ask a simple question, and it feels like the answer they give is intended to impress you? like what one person can say in 5 seconds, another might turn into a 10 minute ramble? it is annoying, i didn't ask for all that. that is my interpretation. i assume higher positions value their time too much to want to deal with that more often
>>
>>102472765
He won't be competitive against candidates with basic knowledge if he doesn't at least learn some material.
>>
Where is the best place to buy cert vouchers? Dion training has 10% off and optional retake for additional $80. I passed on my first attempt for A+ Core 1 so I'm trying to decide if it's worth springing for the retake option again this time. I feel pretty good about my knowledge, getting 80+% consistently with Dions practice tests on Udemy but I'd hate to have to spend another $230 if I do fail. Recommendations?
>>
>>102474212
I've been off work for 5 months now too so I don't really have the inclination to keep spending time studying when I feel ready to take this thing, I'm leaning towards getting the retake addition just for peace of mind but money is tight so I want to avoid unnecessary spending.
>>
>>102437961
>Currently work IT help desk level 1
>Earn ~$65k/year

nice make up story
>>
>>102473011
If something is an interview, I'd expect to give the most thorough answers possible because a big point of it is testing knowledge.

Do others assume people are just that hardwired and are incapable being able to discern when to speak technically to people who understand and simplifying when talking about something to an end-user or someone who may not be as technical?

I posed the question orginally because I'm looking to interview for a full time position in a DC but It's got me werided out that it's possible to know too much. I only officially have 1 year of DC experience as a contractor but years of doing things on my own has legitimately prepped me for what they are supposedly looking for as a level 2 technician based on conversations with coworkers and various materials I've been given on what they ask during these interviews.

If know DCs are a different line of work than general IT but reading this shit is just making me even more anxiety ridden.
>>
>>102437961
From my experience, anyone who promoted to level 2 from helpdesk is sucking someone’s cock on the side. Seriously I know a couple people who’ve been trying to get to level 2 for years and kept getting passed over by someone less experienced. Use your free time to do earn the Network+ or Security+ and apply for a job outside the company.
>>
>>102442322
this is kind of correct
>>
>>102472318
If you know how to delete porn off your pc you’re overqualified. A good helpdesk manager is looking for someone who can talk to people and has good customer service skills rather than someone who is overly technical.
>>
>>102474287
They probably mean they make that in some kind of joke currency like NZD
>>
>>102437961
do your job entitled fuck. enterprise computers fucking suck with retard admins having disabled quality of life things like right click menus and having their retard policies getting in the way all the time
>>
Bump
>>
>>102475705
Aiming higher isn't a bad thing. Besides, your life isn't hard.
>>
File: 1495419625276.png (626 KB, 645x909)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>102474287
>nice make up story

You know the sad part is that the industry has fallen so hard that 65kyr was believable 20 years ago but impossible to imagine today. The only IT that is still seeing pay raises works with the government, at the low to mid level. At the high end you would still move to civilian for higher pay raises.
>>
>>102478841
What is wrong with working for the government?
>>
>>102474287
It's not unheard of, but I agree it is highly unlikely unless the job comes with other demands such as a security clearance or some exotic condition.
>>
>>102478887
Government at the low to mid level pays better then most civilian jobs but if you want to do engineering level work or management then you need to look at civilian for better pay since government likes to pay cap at those levels.
>>
>>102480040
So then start in government and transfer to private sector? I understand why pajeets can't, but why not do this?
>>
File: 1465268594959.jpg (24 KB, 443x510)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>102480387
Its what most government employees do. More importantly government is good for shielding yourself from shitty local economies, the currently growing recession, and generally decent locations across the country. Arguably you can learn more in the government which makes you more valuable for civilian but that entirely depends upon your own skill set too. I know from my experience they will give you any work you demand civilian ironically can have much more red tape when it comes to getting work done.
>>
>>102455455
I'm a male stripper now.
>>
>>102480469
You've given me a lot of info, thank you. I just have one question left:
If I do go for government IT, how many years should I spend before going out to the private sector?
>>
>>102480387
cause when shit doesn't work in government no one is losing money, it's infinitely more relaxed + almost always has a pension
>>
>>102480883
Think more of titles and job experience. Time on the job is not as important as what you do with your job. I have multiple lines on my resume that apply to multiple jobs and 2 of those lines got me my current job.

Helpdesk --> Deskside Support --> either Server Admin, Network admin, Security or whatever specialty --> Tier 3 of that position which is discount manager experience with training and managing a schedule. Then you can decide do you want to move to management, engineering or project management. Or you could move to another specialty with certifications and homelab experience. Once you have Tier 3 experience a bachelors or masters with some certifications then you could move to civilian for an engineering position. You should take the effort to learn 2 specialties even if you only get certifications in just one of them.
>>
>>102480883
When the crash comes, most of the manager, admins and ITfags will be jobless and there would be a demand of security personnel to guard the empty building due to closure.
>>
>>102459106
net+ is a joke cert. this is a retarded post.
>>
>>102468560
CCNA doesn't have concentrations anymore. that's CCNP level only. security concentration is just firewall (firepower) focus, no security governance focus in the test. also CISSP is several tiers of difficulty above a CCNA.
>>
File: 1543707047885.gif (3.01 MB, 320x240)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB GIF
>>102481281
Its for the best honestly. Networking is the basics anyways. Those other CCNA's where so underutilized within the industries they where made for that Cisco had to admit that companies and employees really only care about keeping current on networking technology since everything else changes to quickly to keep up. Also no one should be collecting certs like pokemon. You at the most should be specializing into 2 disciplines if you want to be an engineer and anything else more then that should be covered in homelabs.
>>
>>102481023
>You should take the effort to learn 2 specialties even if you only get certifications in just one of them.
I think project management and security might be a good mix in this regard. Thanks
>>
how can I bullshit my way at IT support jobs needing 2-3 year experience?
>>
>>102482283
without job experience btw
>>
File: 1726896379469.jpg (33 KB, 1440x331)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>102474287
Must suck to suck
>>
>>102481184
Why is it a joke?
>>
Has anyone done work for a school as IT support.

I have an impression that it would be incredibly relaxed compared to the average office environment.
Much less people, and most users would be kids who I would suspect aren't getting annoyed at their issues because they wouldn't see it as urgent.
>>
>>102484421
I am a lead SysAdmin for a mostly online school, higher ed. It is a bit more relaxed but there are horrible crunch times I have to deal with that others don't. Not to mention my budget/vendor/support is always dictated by someone else.

>have to do upgrades on winter break when studnetsare out for xmas/new years
>oh shit we need to do upgrades for some certification school is in 2 weeks
>something doesn't work SYSTEM IS DOWN
>boomer instructors are actually worse than karen in a normal office
>oh boy I hope each instructor just sends emails about logins rather than a mass email telling everyone to login at once "@EVERYONE WELCOME TO THE NEW SEMESTER LOG IN NOW!!!"

Pay is less, during the school year it's mainly monitoring and planning, the absolute worst part is everyone is a lifer for employment so that person who is your coworker? Yeah unless they get fired? GG they are going to be that person for as long as you stay there

The pro is that we are all now 100% remote other than Network guys since we moved into Azure, currently working in asia with no fucks given
>>
>>102437961
Jesus imagine getting almost 70k for being help desk?! Foooking amerikans :D
>>
>>102466040
shit advice
>>
>>102470610
i'm getting more than my boss's boss
autism daycare workers really aren't paid better than autists themselv, everyone in the company knows middle management is useless
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>102437961
What's wrong with staying in L1 Help Desk for $65k/yr? I have worked a networking position for not much more money and honestly all the oncall and stress of it was not worth it to me. I would rather be in help desk and solve easy shit and image workstations.
>>
File: kirisu2.jpg (280 KB, 1111x1500)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>102487041
>shit advice
>refuse to elaborate
>>
File: 1725725030271980.jpg (17 KB, 500x281)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>102437961
Where the fuck is paying you $65k a year as a T1???? I make $38k a year at my company as a T1. The T2s at our company don't even make that much.
>>
Imagine working for any organisation who would hold power of your career if refuse to take the vaxx. Think hard, young Anons. Think hard.
>>
>>102441934
That's EXTREMELY high anon.
>>
>>102487243
My wife
>>
>>102470610
my managers paycheck was like +20% bigger than mine. That shit isn't worth the hassle.
>>
>>102437961
>Dec 2021: Hired as T1 for $65K, no IT experience
>Aug 2024: Promoted to T2 for $75K, no certs

It's certainly possible but you really need to be better than the people willing to go get certs. Be a next level autist about every little detail, be unimpeachable. I also write a lot about processes that need changing, ideas I have, documentation, logistics, How-To's and that has kind of been my version of a cert in managements eyes, they don't bother me about them at all when they will bother the rest of the team about certs, it's basically a cap on help desk motivations. Either get certs to get up and out and be seen as motivated or leave. I have essentially made myself a self appointed lead, so I have kind of skipped that requirement, they damn well now I'm motivated to perform above my station. A bunch of credibility built by tactfully yelling at the right people about the right things at the right time. I am the youngest in the company and approach everything in good faith, so perhaps I have way more leeway than most and I'm sure that can't fly at every company. Just keep poking away anon. I strongly believe that if a T1 is paid in the $60K's to start, they must take their free time and use it to upgrade their wages. Look at WGU if you feel you need more structure or want a real leap up in wages and responsibilities. If I completed one of those 18 month IT bachelors degrees, I could have seriously been in the running to jump to a $90-100K manager position with my own environment and techs this last summer. At that level, the piece of paper is holding you back even if you are well liked and well trusted. Your own motivation is your only cap on $ performance in IT, I feel.
>>
>>102437981
This was one of the things that drove me nuts about doing helpdesk work.
>All the software involved in your work is buggy as hell.
>The documentation is often outdated, missing critical information, or outright wrong.
>Nothing ever gets fixed and feedback is ignored.
>You have to take the blame for it all from the customer and your employer.
>Your employer would rather try harder to squeeze blood from a stone (you) than fix any of the aforementioned problems.
There is a reason people call it helldesk. I legitimately enjoy solving problems and helping people, but incompetents and bean counters ruin it.
>>
File: 1726141443872888.jpg (306 KB, 1080x1356)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>102487041
>>
File: ga.jpg (52 KB, 500x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>102487243
>Yes.
>>
Bump
>>
>>102437961
I wish my local city paid this much.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.