[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

anyone here ever bothered to get an arm64 desktop? i have started to really like the arm system, so i was considering it, but i know it's still pretty uncommon for desktop setups. i can imagine there might be a decent bit less support, but ideally anything that isn't supported out of the box, you could just recompile yourself?
>>
>>102441970
I got a risc-v one. I'm aware it's a different architecture but so far the support is horrible and you don't get the importance of dependency hell. You won't be able to download a binary, after some searching you find that they compile it because one of the dependencies (often unnamed) is incompatible. So you decide to check all of the dependencies yourself. Some dependencies don't ship risc-v binary/libraries easily but it's possible to get them or they have compilation instructions. Once you found the one that is causing problems you will find that there's some janky solution using dockers and it's considered good enough so the devs won't try anything to help advancements in building for risc-v.
>>
>>102442051
disappointing
>>
>>102442252
Yep, still waiting for that one (1) dependency to finally ship with a risc-v build
>>
>>102442252
I thought it's encouraging, finally something is getting better in the FLOSS world.
We will have a proper and complete understanding why things do or do not work out - the root, the hardware - is finally open.
>>
You will love electron apps
>>
>>102443360
Yeah that's cool but I hate that I have to wait until one nodejs dev can manage to type in arch=riscv
>>
File: 1724365296613567.png (2 KB, 464x471)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>102446491
we're going to make it anyways
>>
>>102446529
Yeah but I honestly just wanna host my own forgejo server. I went with git but the lack of issues is bothering me greatly
>>
File: 1724290910132135.jpg (90 KB, 720x743)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>102446565
Interesting. I am also looking for a RISC-V VPS.
>>
>>102442051
can I watch webm on it?
>>
>>102441970
I got the Apple mini M1 and a little later the Raspberry Pi 5 with an NVMe. so much computing power at such a low power draw. exciting times.
>>
>>102447332
Check DOT COM's video on daily driving a RISC-V SBC. It worked fairly well for light usage.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.