[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: kobo-clara.jpg (306 KB, 2560x1441)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Is it worth the price, or should I just continue to buy physical books?
>>
>>102444549
buy a tablet with a pen, like the S6 or something, it's better
>>
>>102444549
It depends.
>>
>>102444549
Continue to buy physical books. E-readers are a shitty meme. If you want free ebooks then read on your fucking iphone.
>>
>>102444574
On what?
>>
>>102444580
Oh, on various factors.
>>
>>102444624
Oh, fuck off then.
>>
Yes. However try to buy a used one since it's significantly cheaper or try one of the other brands such as koboo or boox.

I have saved tons of money on books and although I still prefer real books it's still a massive money saver.
>>
File: 1724390798296846.jpg (179 KB, 1241x1329)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>102444549
I can find most paperbacks on thriftbooks or amazon for less than $10 each. but for more expensive books an e-reader seems like the best option. for the life of me I CAN NOT decide on which side to stick to, so might as well do both.
>>
>>102444549
Just get a Kindle and jailbreak it.
>>
>>102444549
You can get a used kindle for less than the cost of a new hardcover
>>
I've bought kobo clara two years ago or so, installed postmarketos on it, using koreader for reading
very comfy, would recommend
>>
>>102444549
I find their digital ink screens, or whatever the fuck they call it, really are an improvement over phones or monitors, but the biggest advantage is being able to find less common books, usually for free. If you live near good used book stores that usually have what you read, consider how many books you could buy for the same price. The form factor is also really nice, you can lie down with your head on a pillow and read comfortably without holding up the e-reader like you would a book. Sounds lazy as shit I know but that problem dogged me since I was a kid. If you get one, be sure to buy a screen protector because they scratch super easily.
>>
>>102444549
buying a device once and putting hundreds of free books on it will be cheaper than buying physical books. also takes less space
love my Kobo, simple as
>>
>>102444549
They are pretty nice. Good battery life and easy on the eyes in any light situation. I got a pocketbook touch lux 5 and its served my needs well. My use case for mine is really only epubs of book text; doubt it works all that well for manga, pictures or pdfs. I bet the bigger screened models and color ones would work nicer for that kind of stuff. At that point just use a nice android/apple tablet.

A sd slot and libgen is the dream.
>>
>>102445042
>doubt it works all that well for manga
they do as long as you get a big enough model. 8" minimum for single pages, 10+ inches for double page spreads
I use mine mostly for that (8" Kobo Sage) and I've been enjoying it for years
>>
Paper books are superior, but out of all the technology I could attack, it's not going to be one that gets people to read books.
>>
>>102445109
does it read cbz files or are they pdfs?
>>
>>102445230
Kobos read cbz files natively. I prefer to use koreader on mine though, not the stock interface
>>
does anyone know if there are good generics where I could load up my epubs and maybe some manga? I don’t any any android bloat I just want something super dumb. does kobo or Barnes and noble let you setup an ereader without an account?
>>
>>102445177
based
>>
>>102445312
>does kobo or Barnes and noble let you setup an ereader without an account?
Kobo does. I mean they don't officially but there's a workaround to do it
https://github.com/bocchilorenzo/kobo-bypass
>>
>>102444549
It's definitely lighter than hauling a bunch of books around when you move. But, I haven't used mine in over 10 years now, because any time I want to read a pdf, I just either do it on my web-browser with dark pdf or on my iPhone with dark mode. 9 times out 10 my kindle is dead even though I have the ad-free version.
>>
>>102444549
Physical books are nice but Kobo + annas-archive.se works when cash strapped
>>
File: 1719160098535702.gif (198 KB, 498x498)
198 KB
198 KB GIF
>buying books
>any author worth reading died decades or centuries ago
>study books should be free in the first place
>giving money to jews
E-readers are the only relevant piece of technology from the past decade.
>>
File: 1715366573756942.png (267 KB, 633x657)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>102444549
Don't buy it if you are a """prospective""" reader; i.e. you think you would be more inclined to start reading again if you consoomed an expensive specialized device.
If you're already reading and don't care about amassing a physical collection, it's great.
>>
>>102444549
Kobo Libra H2O still holding up. Runs loonix and Koreader.

>>102445312
>Kobo account
I just registered an invalid email address and it never mentioned anything ever again.
>>
>>102444549
if you read a lot, yes
a used kobo clara bw will cost you $70, which is about 3 books. A new one will cost you 6 books. I read like 50 books per year I'd be bankrupt if bought them. I still buy the books that interest me or as a gift though.
>>
Just grab a used one
>>
>>102444549
If you move around a lot, or in the military, then yes definitely.
>>
>Buy $100 e-reader
>Pirate all of the books you want
Saved more money in the long run by spending a little more up front.
Of course unless you have autism you can have both physical and digital books. You don't need to be 100% committed to one or the other.
>>
File: 1706810452876291.jpg (167 KB, 945x672)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Using this little nigga now. Very comfy.
>>
>>102444549
If you're going to pirate, yes, since they're usually the price of like 6 books, and you'll have basically every book you want for free.

People who say that you can read on your phone don't read or never had an e-reader. The main pros are the battery, which can for more than a month of pretty heavy usage, and the fact that e-ink looks pretty much like paper, and good luck reading on your phone in the sun, unless you like walking around with a power bank.

If you're not planning on pirating books, well, there are less advantages since e-books are basically as expensive as physical counterparts, but if you're reading a 1000+ page doorstopper, it's much more comfortable for reading in bed or anywhere else, and if you're traveling, you basically have a whole bookshelf with you.
>>
>>102444549
>Is it worth the price
absolutely. disregard people that tell you to read on your phone, they are clinically retarded.
>>
>>102444549
I love mine, also don't listen to those saying to read on your phone
that will destroy your eyes

An e-reader + libgen / #bookz is an infinite amount of knowledge that is readable for hours without any eyestrain whatsoever, it's awesome

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.