[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bepes.png (70 KB, 433x254)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
I run a small video site.
All the videos are in the same folder, let's say it's var/www/html/src/.

It bothers my autism that everything is in the same folder and gets sorted categorized by the database. I kinda want to put discrete category folders on the server like var/www/html/memes/

Which way is better?
>>
Do you have a recommendation algo yet?
>>
>>102453375
then do it, what's stopping you retard
>>
>>102453375
>Which way is better?
Well what do you think? I'm no filesystem expert, maybe it's not a problem to modern filesystems but I would group shit in subfolders just to prevent one massive folder clusterfuck.
>>
>>102453402
No, my site is based on the idea of NO ALGOS or AI
You get pagination and sorting buttons
>>
>>102453661
in that case keep the tags in the db in case you want to give a video multiple tags
>>
>>102453667
Speaking of "recommendations" I think they ruined the Internet
>>
>>102453375
>It bothers my autism that everything is in the same folder and gets sorted categorized by the database
so you have a database that does all the categorization work but you still want to pollute the filesystem by creating folders for no fucking reason?
>>
>>102453778
A folder with 2 million files in it is a hardware risk
>>
Having the db categorize them is perfectly fine. You should scatter the videos over multiple folders though. If you use a hash to refer to the file, you can do /src/a/b/c/d/e/f and you'll never have too many files in a folder. Or take the primary key and use that to distribute them.
>>
>>102453661
sounds good
>>102453770
recommendation isn't the problem per se. If they based on similar content. But modern "recommendations" based on pushing ads, propaganda and just clickbait titles so user stays on website longer and watch more ads. It's not for your benefit but for them.
>>
>>102453792
why?
>>
>>102453792
I guarantee you that OP does not have 2 million videos, and if he does then he should be using object storage instead (e.g., MinIO)
>>
>>102453792
No wonder my last hdd died, my 4chan folder was an absolute mess.
>>
>>102453375
Stop being autistic.
Seriously.
The database is already doing god's work by sorting everything by tags'n'shit.
It's the superior solution.
Hierarchical repositories are a terrible way to do it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.