[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image (10).jpg (11 KB, 474x270)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Now that it's been some time since Nvidia open-sourced the drivers, what's the Waylandies excuse for it still working like shit on Nvidia gpus?
>>
>>102469449
Funnily enough, it worked much better on Wayland than X11 when I tried it.
>>
>>102469556
>it's a lottery if a clipboard works in apps
>same with drag and drop
>clipboard can stop working completely
>some apps have random graphical glitches when resizing(notably brave)
>locking screen on 2 display setup can completely break one screen, requiring a restart
that's just out of the top of my head, bugs I've encountered on a single day of using wayland
>>
>>102469633
>bugs I've encountered on a single day of using wayland
Twenty years ago? Because I tested it with a 4060 (LP model, the best thing you can get for a SFF PC, DESU) just a month ago, and it was buttery smooth. 555 drivers fixed all of that which you described.
>>
>>102469661
Like a week ago? I've tried these 555 drivers and they didn't fix jack shit
>>
>>102469449
No drivers.
>>
>>102469678
What DE? I used KDE, and boy was the X session laggy as fuck.
>>
>>102469714
There's a bug on kde on X that causes the lagginess, idk what causes it but I've seen other anons reporting it too
I guess it boils down to a bad/good install, since I couldn't find other reasons
>>
>>102469449
Just werks on my machine
>>
>>102469449
they did? fucking finally. I hated them so much for not having done that sooner
>>
>>102469740
>I guess it boils down to a bad/good install
Yeah, probably. Or nasty distros, bc I never had any bugs on Wayland on Arch since 555 drivers landed.
>>
>>102469748
Only the kernel module. Granted, now that GSP is out of the driver, Nouveau chads can make games and even reclocking work via NVK.
>>
>>102469449
Nvidia has not open sourced their drivers. All the meat got moved into user space and onto the gpu firmware. The "drivers" are just glue that does very little.
>>
>>102469449
I still get flickering with nvidia on wayland, running on a laptop with a dedicated nvidia gpu (when selecting the nvidia gpu as the primary gpu) running kde plasma. It's running arch linux so it also has the latest drivers.
>>
>>102469633
sucks being a DE loser then
>>
>>102469449
works on my gtx 1080 better than X11 does, the only thing it can't do now is VRR with more than 1 monitor attached, but then X11 could never do that
>>
>>102469633
>locking screen on 2 display setup can completely break one screen, requiring a restart
Oh yeah I experienced this too. I couldn't do anything to get back on, i had to force restart the computer
>>
Its almost there but not quite. High refresh rate monitors still flicker, especially when changing workspaces. Happens across pretty much all i've tested, which is KDE, Gnome and Hyprland.
Firefox has a stutter with nvidia on initial scroll but is fine right after. Its highly annoying if you're trying to read documentation as the whole browser stutters every time you infrequently scroll.
Nvidia tooling sucks compared to nvidia-settings on X, not sure when that is going to get better.
Overall, its fine if you can look past the stupid glitches still, dont believe anyone that tells you its perfect, its not.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.