[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why aren't external GPUs a thing? it's litteraly the only thing, that keeps me on a Desktop. This and a decent dockingstation and I'd never look back
>>
>>102923926
Wait for tb5 or hope that more companies are going to put oculink ports on their laptops.
>>
>>102923945
> companies are going to put ports on their laptops.
fat chance, they removed all the ports
>>
>ask "why is x not a thing" while posting an image of X being sold right now
because you keep asking why they're not a thing instead of buying them so companies think they have no market for them
>>
so how good is it running ayyeee using egpu?
>>
>>102923926
Massive latency for gaming because the signal needs to go back to the computer before it goes to the screen
>>
>>102924106
Isnt that just masked by the PCI express protocol? Even if troughput is halved, going from PCIE 4 to PCIE 3 doesnt really matter, chips off 2% fps maybe.

More than that, I think tgere just isnt much demand for external GPUs. Why waste the space, if you can have it all in one neat case? It has extra cost and worsens the users experience
>>
>>102923926
Because people who make the enclosures think they are worth 400 dollars.
>>
>>102923926
Funding the coal and oil industry to play with chatbots.
>>
>>102923926
What's the point of a laptop if you have to plug a bunch of things into it?
>>
File: 20240205_170318.jpg (747 KB, 4032x3024)
747 KB
747 KB JPG
>>102923926
news to me
>>
>>102923926
Because an external GPU + dockstation is basically a desktop that performs worse and costs more.
>>
>>102926555
can you game on that using linux?
>>
>why aren't they a thing
they are a thing you just posted a pic of it

>>102924106
We are talking about 1-2ms latency max, which can be mitigated by just using an external display

>>102926494
It's for people who want a single computer but also want to play games. You can travel with the laptop but when you're home you plug it in and now you can play games. It's niche and I don't do it but I understand the appeal.

You take a big FPS hit even with Thunderbolt 4. Occulink is better but less common.
>>
just get a second computer
>>
>>102923926
Most laptops built after 2010 don't have a pc card slot therefore it would be difficult to connect
Laptop manufacturers also want people to buy their more expensive gaymen laptops
>>
File: 1728400200808249.jpg (104 KB, 594x500)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>102923926
Literally only because no one made a good connection port for it yet. If there was an eGPU port standard that didn't eat 25-50% of the performance it would be much more common.

And there's not a single excuse for that either, latency retards are faggots who have no idea about technology. Long ass PCIe risers exist and do just fine, someone just has to turn that into a cable.
>>
Hmm yes I sure do wish my GPU were bottlenecked by external connectors. A PCI-e extender cable alone gimps the fuck out of the performance, retard.
>>
>>102926580
yes. though I have never tested it. I am not sure how linux handles the selection of the rendering hardware, or pci-e device hotplug though.
booting from cold with it plugged in.
I adopted e-gpu pretty early with win7 and it wasnt till windows 10 1904 or some shit that it was what I would call viable.
>>
>>102923926
It's a thing right now. I've hooked up GPUs at 70cm with a PCIe 4.0 extender cable, no problem. No problems even joining two cables together.
However, don't expect the shitty USB3 1-lane adapters to work well beyond PCIe 2.0.
>>
>>102923926
Thunderbolt, the only common external PCI-E connector, is still pretty slow compared to a dedicated, direct PCI-E slot and it adds some overhead.
>>
>>102926661
i'm sure it's just a coincidence that the moment we starting looking at something that really needs the performance of a straight pci-e slot, they remove the external pci-e slot from laptops
>>
>>102926749
>If there was an eGPU port standard that didn't eat 25-50% of the performance
40gbps is actually enough for most games. this past year iv'e mostly played palworld, valheim, satisfactory. None of them even saw over 50% bus usage even rendering to an external display.
>>
>>102926947
>40gbps is actually enough for most games
>only plays indie games that look like they're from 2006
>>
>>102923926
just be patient, the 8090 will be the size of a desktop
>>
>>102926975
if you want to play garbage games full of diversity and gay sex, buy an xbox or carry around a desktop, coping idiot.
>>
>>102926947
>i've played low requirement games with an external display
is this meant to be a good example? also you make it sound like an external display is bad, actually that uses less bandwidth. getting the picture to show up on an internal laptop display means the picture has to be sent back through the pci-e bus, using more bandwidth
>>
>>102926947
It's not about it being "enough" you crayon eating room temperature IQ retard, and if you only play 30 year old RTS you wouldn't need a dGPU at all faggot. It's about the current eGPU connectors making performance significantly worse than normal. You don't buy a 4090 and put it in an eGPU chassis when you only get the performance of a 4070ti thanks to the retarded ports. That's literally the ENTIRE ISSUE. Jesus Christ you're retarded on another level, never post again
>>
>>102927026
>also you make it sound like an external display is bad
no actually, rendering to the internal display hits the cpu a good bit, which causes a cpu bottleneck. rendering to an external frees up cpu resources, allowing the gpu to hit higher utilization and for longer, which results in higher bandwidth used.
An external display is a balancing act, some games you wont see any improvement, some you will see 20% more fps.
>>
>>102927056
Can you explain to me what is the use case of a 4090 e-gpu?
Why are you so adamant to discard the entirety of e-gpus because it isn't compatible with nonsensical hardware choices?
they are a niche and strongly require niche use-cases. I already know you do nto have any use cases if your desire is to use a 4090 or have cutting edge performance.
>>
>>102927198
You're probably the most retarded poster on the board right now, but I'll lower myself to explain to you like the toddler you are. Since you have no defense for the original point I'll accept your concession there.
>use case
being MOBILE. I'm out of the country for half the year in week sized bits, am I supposed to lug around a full size fucking tower every week you retard?
>why discard e-gpus
Because currently fucking laptop GPUs do it better and cheaper most of the time.
>nonsensical hardware choices
Yeah, I guess good hardware is nonsensical in your head. If YOU don't need it (or most likely just can't afford it), no one does right?
>they are a niche
A niche that could be made better with a good connector. Do you understand now, retard?
>>
>>102923945
oculink is basically deprecated now. you might see MCIO maybe. but realistically all those connectors are meant for internal use, so USB/Thunderbolt is probably your best bet for widespread GPUs.

>>102924106
no
>>
>>102926555
You are having latency from having to send it back and forth
>>
>>102925899
This lol
I just wanted a TB enclosure for an extra pcie slot on my desktop
$200 at a minimum as a buy it now price for a used one.
$300 new

Shit makes zero sense, but I guess that's just mobile fags being scalped.
>>
>>102925899
You can design and 3d print your own. They can charge that much because you won't do it.
>>
>>102927451
you're actually fucking retarded.
by the time you have an enclosure big enough for a 4090 to not catch on fire, and a giant 650w psu for it, you my as well just build a itx rig.
the entire point of e-gpus is to not carry around a fuckhuge gaming laptop, instead to use a business tier laptop or even your work laptop like in my case. and you plug a smaller gpu in it to play games since it fucking doesnt have a dedicated gpu.

congratulations, you are not the intended usecase, retard. your use case warrants a fuckhuge gaming laptop, dont even @ me
I never said the connector is bad, I said in its current state, its usable and not a problem in most cases. you are acting like its unusable completely which is stupid.
>>
>>102924013
Well, replaced them all with USB anyways.
>>
File: IMG_20241021_233631_887.jpg (81 KB, 560x1184)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>102930410
>the entire point of e-gpus is to not carry around a fuckhuge gaming laptop
>fuckhuge gaming laptop
How in the fuck is a gaming laptop heavier than a fucking e-gpu? More importantly, how in the hell is a separate GPU block plus laptop more portable than a gaming laptop.
>>
>>102926812
>it wasnt till windows 10 1904 or some shit that it was what I would call viable
Why?
>>
>>102926905
I cry every time.
>>
>>102927013
>gay sex
Sodomy isn't sexual intercourse.
>>
>>102932090
You're not going to carry an eGPU around. You keep it at home, so you can game when you're home, and otherwise carry a reasonably light laptop. With a gayming laptop there's no choice, even if you're not gayming on the move you have to carry all that extra weight.
>>
Are there external cases or enclosures for the PCI-E riser cables? I want to get a decent enough GPU to fit on a Dell 9020 SFF that still uses the x16 slot.
>>
>>102923926
Mostly because USB /external connections can't compete with direct PCI card to motherboard connections in terms of speed.

That's all. When external connections are equal to or greater in speed than PCI connections, they'll be fine.
>>
>>102932090
It's not, usually. You can see my setup though above in the thread. My gpu is a modified enclosure with a 3060 itx card, it's absolutely tiny.
The laptop is my employer's laptop, which I carry for work.
Therefore the egpu + power brick is competing in size to a entire additional gaming laptop.
Idk.
>>
>>102932505
They added native support for selecting which gpu to use for an exe.
>>
>>102924106
Egpus can output to a monitor. There are portable monitors available.
>>
>>102926905
Imagine a modern express card equivalent with modern tech for some cool GPUs in a card like that VGH
>>
>>102926905
>the moment we starting looking at something that really needs the performance of a straight pci-e slot, they remove the external pci-e slot from laptops
They removed that 20 years ago grandpa.
>>
>>102927013
>god forbid that video games aren't aimed exclusively at white cishet guys anymore.
>>
If graphix ram is so fast why don't they make cars out of it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.