[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 51refa-ilOL.jpg (50 KB, 1000x1000)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Seems like I'm going to need a "flashcart" at least. I'm interested in ways to run pirated roms on this but even more I'm interested in ways to run open source software on it and program it myself. I just don't know how to start
>>
>>102961308
Not much in the way of hacking for early DS consoles, you can only really play roms or some very basic homebrew from a flashcart
>>
>>102961308
you need to find a seller who sells DS flash carts like EdgeDS, R4 Gold or DSTwO. good fucking luck in current year. but I wish you success. all you need is the cart and a micro SD card. biggest problem youre gonna have is the battery and the godawful hinge coming apart. still, not a terrible way to play DS games.
>I want GBA games too
then you need a flash cart with the GBA chip in it like the DSTwO (edge cannot do this), even harder to find.
>>
>>102961308
Give it back Jamal
>>
>>102961308
This is what I have:
http://r4ids.cn/r4ids-e.htm
>>
>>102961427
You got there in the end
>>
>>102961308
>step one
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=nintendo+ds+lite+homebrew+guide
>step two
https://www.instructables.com/Ultimate-Nintendo-DS-Lite/
>step three
>>>/vg/499372508
>>
now all of that being said the ds lite is one of the worse options for homebrewing jamal, you should "find" either a 3DS XL (so you can play the best DS games and have access to more stuff, and more resources as most homebrewing work is being done for that model) or since most of what you'll be playing is old gameboy and snes games just get a GBA with a backlit screen mod (or an SP) it'd be way more kino
>>
my recomendation is pokemon ruby, followed yugioh tournament followed by mario luigi all star saga
>>
>>102961308
there's nothing on an original DS/Lite to hack, best you can do is a cheap flashcart with custom firmware to bypass the 'timebombs' put in to encourage retards to buy a new one. DSis and 3DSes can actually be modded and play DS games among other things off the SD card
>>
>>102961341
>you need to find a seller who sells DS flash carts like EdgeDS, R4 Gold or DSTwO.
You can buy them on AliExpress
>>
File: image-18.png (1.58 MB, 1443x1002)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>102961555
nah get a GBC flashcart, a Super Famicom and a Super Game Boy 2
>>
>>102961308
>program it myself
Have fun with ancient, abandoned toolchains
>>
>>102961308
Give it back tyrone
>>
Give it back Jamal
>>
File: 1726189909411613.jpg (340 KB, 1920x1080)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>step 1
buy $3 flashcart on aliexpress
>step 2
there is no step 2
>>
>>102961682
the "timebomb" is just a software thing by R4 devs that checks if the cart it's running on is original to try and prevent cloners from copying and using their software on their clone hardware
most carts sold dont even come with an sd card or any software and nobody distributes kernels with timebombs in them
>>
>>102961308
DS Lite doesn't have any real internal storage. The main thing is using a flashcart to run games. With a slot 1 card, you can play basically all DS games and homebrew, and some GBA games with GBARunner2 though compatibility is not great. With a slot 2 card, you can play basically all GBA games.

For slot 1 cards, these days your choices are pretty much Ace3DS+ clones for cheap, or Ezflash Parallel for about US$25.
For slot 2, go with something Ezflash. Omega Definitive Edition is the most versitile: it's the only one that can let DS games see the GBA game it's being (like for Pokemon Pal Park). Both Omega models can also be a DS rumble or RAM pak. You can also find some Supercard MiniSD clones sometimes for super cheap, but they have lower compatibility, 2 GB SD card limit, a shit UI, and bottom of the barrel quality (I had one that didn't work with ROMs over 4 MB until I resoldered one of the address lines on the PSRAM chip).

You can also use a slot 1 card to install the FlashMe modified firmware. This bypasses the health and safety warning on boot, gives a recovery path if you run a DS bricker ROM (once spammed by trolls on IRC, now you have to seek it out), and lets you boot straight into a slot 2 flashcart that has DS mode support (also horribly obsolete as Supercard is the only one you can still buy that can do this).

There's also a DS-TV-out mod that's unique to the DS Lite. Its SoC has a unique feature, a composite video output. It's digital and outputs over the top LCD connector. You have to remove the top screen, add a simple DAC to turn it into analog, and flash a modded firmware that enables the feature, but it's by far the simplest video out you can get on any DS. It's a reasonable addition to a DS Lite with a broken top screen that can otherwise act as a "GB Macro" for playing GBA games on the bottom screen.
>>
>>102962008
most of my knowledge on r4 cards is from when everyone and their brother had one(ie when they were new) so I don't know how they handle things now. most mine really saw use for, was homebrew to dump gba games/saves. my inlretro does all that now, dsi can dump the ds roms/saves
>>
File: gba_ac1[1].jpg (826 KB, 2560x1706)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>102961308
Fuck the DS Lite, the GBA was peak handheld. I want to mod my old GBA to have a backlit screen and rechargeable battery. Beyond that I'm kind of curious about what the GBA chip is capable of.
>>
>>102962273
>I want to mod my old GBA to have a backlit screen and rechargeable battery.
Get one of the "fully laminated" screens. It's damn near impossible not to get a few specks of dust between the screen and lens otherwise.
>Beyond that I'm kind of curious about what the GBA chip is capable of.
Check out the OpenLara port for GBA. There's also somebody on YouTube working on a Super Mario 64 remake for it.
>>
File: 1712570172309934.jpg (2.77 MB, 4032x2486)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
>>102962273
They have solderless screen mods these days. Probably want to install an amp and speaker mod as well because the GBA's sound fucking sucks. I use an Analogue Pocket partially because the sound is so much better. Not an issue if you use headphones though. Pic related, my modded GB, GBA and one of my Analogue Pockets (I have that one and a transparent blue one). I also have a couple of GBA SP's (one an AGS-101) and a GB Micro.
>>
>>102961712
then it wont be handheld/portable defeating the purpose
and my homebrewed wii btfo all of that
>>
>>102961308
look for the memory add-on that runs in the GBA slot. They were originally designed for use with the web browser.
>>
>>102963229
The quake 2 DS port requires one of these and it has to be the unofficial 16MB type (the official one is 8MB).
I kinda want to try it on an emulator but none of them supports the 16MB expansion pak.
>>
>>102961308
DSis are cheaper than flash carts and can be modded without one thanks to their inbuilt SD card reader.
>>
File: simpsons_shitiestake.jpg (47 KB, 567x425)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>102962273
>GBA was peak handheld
>>
OP here, coming with zero handheld gaming experience, props to /g for very helpful answers, thank you
>>
>>102961308
https://www.flashcarts.net/ds-quick-start-guide follow this guide; "ntrboot" is not useful on DS Lite but allows easily modding 3DSes if you decide to upgrade

for development grab a copy of devkitPro or BlocksDS
>>
>>102961308
you can't "hack" an original DS. custom firmware doesn't exist for it and there's no reason to flash the NAND since to play anything you'd still need a cartridge. flashcarts are unironically, terminally, seriously all you need
>>102962008
False. r4 clones don't even use the same firmware the real ones do, it's just chinks being chinese
>>
>>102962273
>Depends on what you like, in the RPG genre there's pretty much only golden sun taking full advantage of the hardware (same graphics as pokemon gen5) when it comes to RPGs, other genres are a bit better, but most are just 2D stuff that would be fine on GBC.

If you like pokemon as so many do, gen2 is peak especially when you consider the technical aspect, that was the closest the franchise ever got to taking advantage of the consoles hardware.
>>
>>102961341
less than $5 on aliexpress for a flash cart. good quality batteries are easily available (cameron sino brand). good quality aftermarket shells are available to fix broken hinges.
>>
>>102962094
>Ezflash. Omega Definitive Edition
the non-DE also fits in a DS Lite dust cover, which is neat.
>>
The power button on my DS lite broke, I bought a replacement switch, got some of those triangle screwdrivers, opened up the shell and now nothing goes back together nicely, plus the switch looks like it might need soldering and I don't have an iron.
>>
>>102965260
>DSis are cheaper than flash carts
flash carts are $3
>>
Can someone point me to some okay chink flashcart?
I have an original R4, but that thing is so old that it doesn't read SDHC cards.
>>
Give it back Tyrone.
>>
You don't really need to hack it. Just get a flashcart.
>>
>>102961341
>R4
Aliexpress.
>Battery
Makho mod.
>>
>>102967659
https://www.flashcarts.net/ds-quick-start-guide
>>
>>102961308
Shoquan, give back:
- the intellectual property
- the flashcart
- the pretensions to "open source"
- the idea that you can program
- the DS Lite itself
>>
>>102965506
For its time the GBA was the best.
With what we have now the Switch is OK but it's not some feat of engineering like the GBA. They're just slapping a tegra and some radios into a tablet. I mean I would too if I had to make a handheld but it's nothing to get excited about.
>>
>>102961308
I had the SuperCard DSTWO, since I had a DSiXL. It has some pretty nice features. However, the OG R4 worked just fine for the DSlite. All of those cards are no-longer in production. Honestly the Ace3DSX is probably your best bet here.
>>
give it back tyrone

the DS has a shitty network interface and isnt compatible with 99% of routers anymore. there's homebrew you can run on something like an R4 but it was mostly stuff to replicate PDA functionality since smartphones weren't ubiquitous yet. you'll also need a rare and valuable GBA port memory expansion to do any web browsing even if you do get it online.

>>102962273
it had a good sound chip for a handheld but thats about it. it's basically a miniaturized SNES. that';s why it had so many SNES ports actually

>>102961341
my tank DS battery is still going strong. i use it as an alarm clock. and i believe GBA pirate carts work on DS

>>102961923
also this, even DS emulation is still a shitshow where you need to know ASM to even understand anything and local networking STILL isn't figured out
>>
>>102962171
mine still works. R4s didn't have great build quality though, the SD slot can get loose easily and the card for the DS itself is just barely within spec. purely build quality issues.

>>102967364
also correct. the DS BIOS and firmware are pretty limited and don't do much other than save some very basic system settings and boot into whatever's on the card. there is homebrew out there but it's distribtued as roms to use with an R4 or similar pirate cart. and like i already said there's not much homebrew that's actually useful since most of it was made to turn your DS into a PDA, but niggas have phones now so why bother. that homebrew WAS actually pretty good, I even used it in school as a tiny computer when I could get away with it but again, why not just use your phone

>>102962094
>TV-out
this is only really required for speedrunners who have to play on original hardware because rules, or are playing games that are really abysmal experiences not on original hardware (the like five shootes released basically, which suck anyway)

ds emulation is good now, all that's missing is lan multiplayer. you can even load gba carts and save files to memory with DeSmuME
>>
>>102961308
>>102961341
Not OP or this guy but I have a DSTwo. Bought it years ago.
The interface is hardcore chinkshit but it werks.
My cartridge is falling apart at the seams though.
Still works for now but I don't know what I'm going to do when the plastic finally completely shits out. I don't think it will fit in a normal cart shell.

The other anons are right though there isn't much to do other than a flash cart. For real hacking, 3DS or 2DS, and ideally for the best experience and capabilities, New 3DS is where it's at.

I haven't used an R4 but I have heard some have timebombs that make them unusable after X time. Jewish practice by the original sellers but there's tons of fakes. I'm not sure how to distinguish but I think repros are being made without the timebomb. Just something to be aware of and check into before buying one.
>>
>>102970856
>timebombs
I and all my college homies had one and no one had theirs fail. this is the first im hearing of such a thing honestly

>Still works for now but I don't know what I'm going to do when the plastic finally completely shits out.
go to the library and 3d print a new one. this would have been the end a few years back bur bro it is 2024.
>>
>>102970752
>all that's missing is lan multiplayer.
There is a MelonDS build that does wifi.
>>
>>102971480
oh hell yes. thank you. finally, i can play Guilty Gear Dust Strikers onilne
>>
>>102970856
>DSTwo
Good shit. It has some of the best antipiracy emulation out there. I remember when new games would come out, some flashcart makers would say wait for an update to support it, some might not be able to support it, and then the DSTwo team would usually just be like it already works as is.

Also there's a special DSTwo exclusive build of the DSx86 PC emulator called DS2x86. The regular one emulated a 10 MHz 286 with about 2 MB RAM (or 20 MHz and 10 MB in DSi mode). The DSTwo version uses the DSTwo's processor to emulate a 40 MHz 386 with 20 MB RAM and protected mode on a regular DS.

The downside is it's a power hog compared to other R4 carts that don't use much more power than retail games. It also goes on eating battery if it's just sitting in the slot while you're running something else (on DSi/3DS usually but I suppose Download Play and Pictochat count too). It's why Luma3DS added a feature to cut power to the slot.

>My cartridge is falling apart at the seams though
Super glue it when it breaks. It may be able to fit in a regular shell if you cut holes for the chips and SD slot. There's a couple chips that stick out the top and the label goes over them.

>I have heard some have timebombs that make them unusable after X time
This is on some R4iSDHC cards that have a year printed on them. The newer ones don't do it anymore. You can bypass it by setting the clock on your DS. Or you can fully remove it by using YSMenu instead of the menu system files they give you to put on your SD card.
Usually what you find for sale these days are generic clones of the Ace3DS+ though. Or you can get Ezflash Parallel if you want an original non-clone product.
>>
>>102971527
Is the multiplayer local wireless or wifi? I think it only emulates wifi and not local wireless forwarded over the internet but I may be wrong. And remember to put the Wiimmfi or whatever alternate server DNS in the config or the game will try and fail to connect to Nintendo's dead servers.
>>
>>102961341
Like the others said, Aliexpress R4 Gold the chinks even threw in a microsd card with nearly every game on it.

Fun thing you can do with a DS is reflash bootleg GBA carts with a program and a flashcart. If you prefer a more authentic GBA experience.
>>
File: 1715357104229737.png (940 KB, 640x853)
940 KB
940 KB PNG
>>102962273
>>102962346
*dabs on your gaymeboy*
>>
File: 1716127821895217.gif (2.85 MB, 240x180)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB GIF
>>102972080
There is nothing more retarded than gimping a DS like this.
>>
>>102972135
there is if the top got destroyed already
>>
I was able to connect to IRC on my DS and listen to music so that was handy back in the day.
>>
>>102967623
Fine. A DSi might be slightly more expensive than a flash cart. Like $10
>>
File: gay thoughts.jpg (287 KB, 1280x924)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>102970856
>tfw I managed to brick my DSTwo
That was 11 years ago. I never figured out how to fix it.
>>
>>102972712
maybe 10 years ago retard
>>
File: sending to WAR.png (483 KB, 1024x576)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
>>102973573
>still have my 1st gen tank DS
volvonium issue
>>
>>102973941
I like the buttons/dpad on the 1st DS but the screens are typically garbage
>>
>>102973975
All of these individuals tells you it works on their machine. What's your next move?
>>
>>102973998
We go to war.
>>
File: drmorris.png (53 KB, 256x384)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>102974249
AW HELL NAH [excessively loud Tik Tok sound effect]
>>
>>102972080
That's better than a stock GBA or SP (even 101) screen. But the modern aftermarket IPS screens for GBAs blow it out of the water in every way.

>>102972135
People typically only do this when the top part is destroyed. An alternative is doing the same but also installing the DAC circuitry, modded firmware and a jack for DS-TV-Out, then you can play DS games on a TV as well as GBA on the device itself or a TV.
>>
>>102972080
>can't play gbn or gbc carts
>gba carts stick out like a buttplug
>shitty ergonomics
>looks retarded
>cant even play ds games on it anymore
might as well just get a gameboy micro at that point
a gba with rechargable battery mod and screen swap the panel from the gameboy SP mogs the fuck out of everything

gameboy advance
>>
>>102974677
GBA SP
GBC
Gen 1 "Tank" NDS
GB Micro
>>
>>102974677
Visor Handspring
>>
File: it9p7w53gdd31-892849030.jpg (1.1 MB, 3713x2787)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>102974772
first of all none of those have better ergnomics than the GBA
the gb micro is for manlets
the og tank ds is trash and bulky
and how is the GBC better than the GBA when the advance can play the gbc carts anyway with a better form factor and ergonomics, what a genuinely shit tier list. i was fully expecting you'd say some chinkshit but instead you listed a bunch of objectively worse handhelds. there's a reason all of those are dirt cheap and the gba still holds value.
the advance with the SP screen swap btfo all of those x1000
>>102974783
mogged by tomigachi
>>
>>102974883
>the og tank ds is trash and bulky
manlet hands and shit taste detected; the Wars World Allied Nations Peacemongers Force has been dispatched
>and how is the GBC better than the GBA
all you asked about was ergos
>>
>>102974647
>then you can play DS games on a TV
that must look great lol
>>
>>102974964
its ok.
>>
File: DSTVOUT.jpg (112 KB, 720x1280)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>102974964
It does look pretty good actually. By default you get the top screen only but it has key combos to switch screens or PiP. It's composite video but it's very clean composite.

Picture is from the project website. You should really set your TV not to stretch 4:3 signals.
>>
File: file.png (1.27 MB, 756x1008)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>102974910
first of all i have godlike taste.
which is why i have a 3DS XL for ds games and emulating and a GBA for any physical gameboy carts i have (because unlike the og DS which is limited to only GBA games .. the advance is backwards compatible with GBN and GBC carts)
all the other handhelds i have sit in boxes collecting dust, even as a young lad i knew these systems were shit tier and the gba and sp were the daily drivers. i remember unironically preferring to play my gba with the booklight attachment and letting my little brother use the SP
>manlet hands
this is coming from the guy that said the micro has better ergonomics than the gba (manlet detected)
post hands
>all you asked about was ergos
nay, i said name a better + more ergonomic handheld, to which you listed a bunch of stuff that was neither better nor more ergonomic.
>>
>>102975050
>name a better + more ergonomic handheld
Asus Eee PC with a few straps to mount it to the forearm
>>
>>102961308
protip: nitrotracker. its a free tracker DAW for ds lite. highly recommended. get it on ur r4/flashart microsd thing
>>
File: file.png (615 KB, 500x708)
615 KB
615 KB PNG
>>102975074
the uneven weight distribution to your forearm isn't very ergonomic anon
that's why you should just hire a short asian guy with a tablet running emulators strapped to his back to stand a few meters ahead of you
>>102975132
picrel is also mega kino DSware
most games for the ds were shit but it had some really cool non-game software
>>
>>102975005
other than speedrun requirements for original hardware... why?

>>102975132
iirc thats available on pc anyway and also iirc its strikingly similar to sunvox
>>
>>102975151
that is mega kino dsware but does not require flashing the ds itself. it doesnt even require original hardware.
>>
>>102975151
yesss the ds-10 is epic albeit difficult to understand imho. that one guy on youtube mastered it. mighty to see him do his thing. also got tutorials on it.
>>
>>102975190
https://youtu.be/N_AaXKQZbXY?si=8pMi1FD2HECUXvb1
>>
>>102974883
The only real problem with the GBA is that the original screen is trash.
Replace that screen and the form factor is great. And you still get reasonably good performance from AAs.
>>
File: file.png (356 KB, 1024x1024)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
>>102975397
agree but i don't really see it as a problem because of how easy it's always been to swap the panel for either the SP screen or nowadays any number of super cheap backlit panels. and we have actually good rechargeable AA batteries these days although something like picrel is only 40 bucks and i think is a bit more convenient than swapping batteries out.
>>
>>102975498
>>102975397
>zoomers are so retarded they can't just get some rechargeable AAs and have to send their entire console off to the chinks to be modified
>>
>>102975539
you don't send the console off anywhere, you order the $40 battery and install it yourself jackass. which is about double the price of a pack of rechargable AAs, with the added benefit of being able to charge the GBA when the battery dies instead of lugging around spare batteries, or having to buy some AAs anyway cause you're traveling and don't have your battery recharging station with you.
>zoomer boogeyman
>calling others retarded when you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>102975597
>$40 battery and install it yourself jackass. which is about double the price of a pack of rechargable AAs,
I bought an 8-pack of rechargeable AAs at the dollar store for two dollars. (it was two packs of four)

>BUT AIEEEE I CANT HECKIN CHARGE IT UNDER TEH COUNTAR AT SUBWAY WHERE I WORK AIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that era of handhelds did not go through batteries that fast and it you >NEEEEEED to charge it you are in fact a zoomer retard who will apparently have a meltdown if you aren't overstimulated for even a second
>>
>>102975539
>and have to send their entire console off to the chinks to be modified
What? These are easy mods to do yourself.
These days the screen ones don't even need soldering.
>>
>>102975726
many people in this thread alone have said they are unwilling or unable to do even the most basic screen replacements
>>
>>102975639
>I bought an 8-pack of rechargeable AAs at the dollar store for two dollars.
Hmmm, I bet they're about 1000mAh.

>that era of handhelds did not go through batteries that fast
The better screens draw more power. My 1900mAh eneloops get about 5 hours with an IPS display.

Do you even have any experience with this?
>>
>>102975749
>5 hours
AIEEEE I CANT LEAVE MY GBA ON FOR AN ENTIRE WORKDAY, AUGHHHHHH IM BEING GENOCIDED BY BIG AA BATTERY
>>
>>102975639
>shops at the dollar store
just say you're a poorfag and stop with all the mental gymnastics cope as to how AAs are somehow better than a higher capacity battery pack. you were already caught saying some blatantly untrue bullshit about how you have to send the console out to do this super easy mod to it.
>that era of handhelds
literally the next handheld made after the advance (2 years later) no longer used AA batteries but a rechargeable battery pack. because AAs were not sufficient for the now backlit screen.
>more zoomer boogeyman cringe
it's not about needing to charge it because i need to be stimulated, it's about having a longer lasting battery, which can be charged using a usb cable that is readily available at any time or place because of the widespread usecase of charging smartphones making it significantly more convenient to charge when it inevitably runs out of battery. there's no argument to be made against this, it's superior in everyway. but you already declared yourself to be clinically retarded so i think that's the end of this exchange.
>>
>>102975777
>the gba gen 1 is the best console evar
>except i have to do 9001 modifications to it to basically turn it into a less convenient version of the GBA SP
>also i literally do not know what batteries are or how they work, and have to spend 40$ on a USB powered battery with a step down transformer in it
ok bro

btw I have a 10 amp hour (as in 10k mAh) battery I got for 10 euro, ggs paying 40$ for a battery a quarter of the size. also AA form factor rechargable battery packs have existed for like 30-40 years. I fondly remember my family's first cordless phone using one, and surprise surprise, when it needed replacing one day we bought a spare from some random chink import store for like 5$. you are not an electrical engineer because you shelled ou 40$ + 100 S&H on aliexpress for a phone battery with a charger board stapled to it
>>
>>102975819
>>except i have to do 9001 modifications to it to basically turn it into a less convenient version of the GBA SP
2 that make it a more convenient version of the SP.
Also the SP can't even use headphones without their proprietary dongle, so it loses convenience points there.
>>
File: 1705993979730358.png (453 KB, 640x480)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>102972135
*dabs on your gaymeboy*
>>
File: 1713852572472690.png (1.42 MB, 1500x1500)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>102974883
>>102974964
>MUH ANTIQUE PORTABLE ERGONOMICS
cringe meme
just play on a modded switch or PC at that point with a proper controller
>>
>>102975914
this but unironically

>I WANNA PLAY GBA GAMES WITH A GOOD SCREN
play on an emulator on a real computer
>NOOOO MUH ERGOS
do the same on a PSP
>AIEEEE I NEED OG HARDWARE FOR GAYMER CRED
then buy one, they're 3$
>BUT NOOOO THE OG HARDWARE WASNT ACTUALLY GOOD
not only are you gay but just play on an emulator on a real computer then

unless it's NDS or Wii (U) where the controls are actually appreciably different (and even then there are maybe 10 games across the entire decade where it ACTUALLY matters) theres no reason not to just emulate that shit on any cheap modern device
>>
>>102975914
>>102975950
Clearly samefag.
>>
>>102975987
>AIEEEEE I SPENT 1700 DOLLARS TO PLAY POKEMON GOLD, DONT MAKE FUN OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>102975999
>imagining things that didn't happen to feel better about oneself
>>
File: file.png (1.58 MB, 1280x721)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>102975819
all things considered it's the best.
it's backwards compatible with the games from every handheld before it, with a better design and form factor than even the nintendo handhelds that came after it
but because it came out in 2001 it's missing a few quality of life improvements that the consoles after it had. the ones before it didnt have backlit screens and used batteries, so it carried on that design from those systems, hence why you could use all of your old games and accessories, i.e. link cables and light attachements, etc.
what was even more kino was that the gamecube came out and had even more shit you could do with the GBA now, like 4way multiplayer using GBAs i.e 4swords, playing on the big tv using the GBA as a pip. we never really saw that with later nintendo systems as far as i can recall, where handheld and console could be utilized together, could be wrong tho.

all in all, it's not 9001 modifications, it's just TWO very simple (and optional) ones.
they take it from being the best ever, to the greatest of all time.
i'm not sure how exactly giving it a bigger battery than it came with, and also bigger than the one the SP shipped with (900mAH), somehow makes it a "less convenient" SP.
>also i don't know what batteries are or how they work
you're right, you don't.
but nowhere did i claim to be an electrical engineer, you just like bitching and arguing over nothing. i get it man, you're frugal, and you make a point that you could get an even bigger battery for the mod if you wanted, but the reason they use 1700 mAh is it can slot in easily to the default gba shell making installing it as easy as swapping a rechargeable AA pack.
idk what you're even rambling on about anymore.

you have to open the back of your GBA, take out the batteries, put new ones in, and go charge the old ones, meanwhile i can just plug my phone charger into my GBA and then fuck your mom in the ass while it's charging.
>>
File: 1713945087367654.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>102976032
>SP
how tiny are your hands
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 421x389)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>102975914
>modded switch
>PC
jesus christ those are all shit takes too, of course i already emulate shit on my PC, homebrewed wii, et all, unlike you i actually have exeperience with the subject at hand that have led me to my high opinion of the GBA.

the argument you could make and sound reasonable in suggesting would be just playing emulators on your phone with picrel, having access to a bunch of additional systems/games. all of the shit you listed is way bulkier than the GBA and not the same usecase. you are such an insufferable retard
>>
File: ds.png (770 KB, 756x1008)
770 KB
770 KB PNG
>>102976089
>reading comprehension
nowhere did i advocate for the sp, it feels like shit to hold specifically because i don't have tiny hands. i did however post a photo of the SP's battery pack to illustrate that it came with a battery half the capacity of what is possible to use with the GBA in the current year.
>>
File: file.png (1.34 MB, 1024x793)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>102976101
>>102975914
put wrong picrel
>>
File: xperia play.jpg (133 KB, 640x480)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
let me guess, you need more?
>>
>>102976440
I need more.
>>
>>102976492
such as?
>>
>>102976514
Cartridge slots.
>>
>>102976563
it has a micro sdcard slot
>>
>>102976588
Can you read?
>>
>>102961308
There might be a limitation you'll run into with those carts. I have the original DS and tried using a ds flash cart with it to emulate gbc/gba but it could only do gb/gbc. I think you also need the gba cartridge that comes with the Nintendo web browser to add more ram, sort of like the expansion device on the N64.
>>
File: DCIM_10262024_0001.jpg (55 KB, 499x621)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>102961308
>flashcart
But why??
>run pirated games
TWiLight Menu+
Also
>>/vr/
>>
File: file.png (1.51 MB, 756x1008)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>102976440
i need less actually
>>
>let me guess you need more
https://gba.js.org
>>
File: 1729254200397170.jpg (175 KB, 1024x768)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>102974677
>a take so shit he deleted himself
>>
File: 1713628631394250.jpg (1.11 MB, 4032x3024)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>
File: 1712733156882516.png (1.33 MB, 1146x812)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>
>>102977413
Best part is one of the 3DS's CPUs is literally just a newer higher clocked GBA CPU, so it's literally running everything natively.
>>
>>102976655
DS Lite not DSi dumbass
>>
>>102977504
My foult
wiki.gbatemp .net/ wiki/ FlashMe
>>
>>102977434
Definitely take the SP over the DS in this one.
>>
>>102977532
i'd take the 3DS but i'd emulate the gba onto the bottom screen those black borders are ugly as fuck
>>
>>102977413
i deleted it because i replied to the wrong person, the anon i responded to was on the same side as me (in favor of the gba) but the post was originally meant for the simpsons guy (against gba) but alas the anti-gba samefag spammer replied in less than a minute.
>>
>>102977757
see >>102977453
>>
>>102977836
problem is the stock virtual console for playing gba carts doesnt allow it to go on the bottom screen, but with emulators you can switch it to bottom screen
>>
File: 1725032971723398.jpg (3.67 MB, 5141x3856)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
>>102975397
>The only real problem with the GBA is that the original screen is trash.
The speaker is also trash. Having it and the Analogue Pocket side-by-side and testing the sound is night and day. That's why there are amp/speaker mods.
>>102975498
I prefer to keep mine using AA's. That's actually one of the best things about old handhelds, you can just pop in some AA's and you're good to keep playing. I have a dozen rechargeable AA's sitting in a charger ready to be used at all times. Power goes out? No problem, I can play Game Boy for about a week with no issue.
>>
>>102977434
I'm being genocided. :(

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.