[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1 TkPCxtXogVlYsEA1IxH2tA.png (185 KB, 1400x1400)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
Metro>=XP=Aero>Classic>Primitive(1,2)=MDL2>=Fluent
>>
>>451542
85 - cool
92 - weird but memorable
95 - a downgrade
01 - amazing
12 - soulless
21 - a bit bland, but at least so plain it is kinda interesting again

xp>win7>win10 have been my personal favourite ms os' so far.
>>
>>451555
Should have been made in German style if you catch my drift.
>>
why is there even a win 11? didn't they say win 10 to be the last os they make?
>>
>>451555
Used the word "soul", opinion irrelevant. kys
>>
95 GOAT
>>
>>451560
autistic solitudinarian that refuses to understand others, opinion irrelevant. have an ambiguous day.
>>
File: dededed.png (34 KB, 544x390)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>451542
>>
File: ovp_winme_us.jpg (379 KB, 2024x1000)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>451542
1992-1995 and 1995-2001 are incorrectly swapped in this image.
Anyway, in terms of logos/marketing 1995-2001 is my favorite (2K/ME especially) but in terms of UI, Aero is.
>>
>>451542
1992 > 2001 > 1995 > 1985 >>>>> 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2021
>>
>>451542
1992 was the best
>>
2012-2021 is BY FAR the best,

first one that actually suggests the brand name of the product at a glance like a brand symbol is supposed to instead of being a shitty drawing of a multi- colored flag

First and only one that uses perspective in a refined way, that doesn't look like a 3rd grader drew it

The latesr one is a perfect example of changing something that didn't need it and fucking it up.

The earlier multi-colored ones are just embarrassing and would look retarded and juvenile on children's toys, especially the first two with the fat ugly black keylines.
>>
>>452661
With the 92 - 2001 logos they probably wanted to convey that it puts your data on a computer window visually.
>>
I honestly thought they had the winning formula back in 2012, ever since then it's been oversimplified garbage.
>>
>>451542
>85
It honestly looks like a prisons lunch plate. I like the off the wall vibe but the rounded corners and the dullness of it gives the whole thing depression. If we went back to 85's design I today I'm sure /gd/ bro's would riot.
>92
Honestly this one is my personal favorite. It's just off center and odd enough to stand out without being too wild, plus the added symbolism of the window frame goes a long way.
>95
Slightly worse than 92's mainly due to the pungent colors and stretched aspect ratio. I wouldnt be surprised if this logo was designed to fit within 1995 computer specs.
>01
Better colors, but not much else. They cut our a lot of what made the design unique to fit within more simplistic design trends and it shows.
>12 - You have made the antithesis of 85' and magnified it's worst aspects. It is now plain and cut back into blasé nothingness. The color was that last bit of soul and you ripped it out.
>21
Simplicity at it's finest. Contract's you made the next minesweeper icon! Or could it be a game of four square? Honestly it sucks hard.
>>
>>451542
1992 and 2001 goes hard
>>
>>451542
2001 - 2012
Soul
>>
>>453290
If by "soul" you mean "utterly devoid of anything that would cause an unfamiliar observer to think "windows" or even computers in general given a million years to look at it" then you are correct, sir.
>>
>>453291
lol how is *that* your criterion??

as is the case with nike, mercedes, starbucks, playboy, google and most other well known businesses.
marketing isn't aimed at people a million years from now, but at current sensibilities...
what you are saying is absolutely retarded and embarrassingly bitter!
>nooooooo you cannot like the audi logo it doesnt have anything obvious to do with the act of listening or cars reeeeeee
>>
>>453292
>as is the case with nike, mercedes, starbucks, playboy, google and most other well known businesses.

Fist of all, "Windows" is not the name of a company, it's a product.
As for the companies you mention-

> Nike
Nike's "swoosh" logo is a stylized wing, inspired by the wings of the Greek goddess Nike.

>Mercedes
the 3 pointed "star" device in a circle was a mixture of two older badges and (like the BMW logo) at the time represented in part their manufacture of aircraft engines by suggesting a propeller.

Also, unlike the early iterations of the Windows logo that were rightly dropped for being shitty, that logo is recognized because it is a century old...older if you count pre-merger use. It hasn't been drastically altered since the mid 1920s because it is a great logo.

>Starbucks
Logo started as something entirely different and has gone through a number of revisions which indicate that there was a problem (duh)...also totally not germane since Starbuck is a fictional character from a novel and impossible to represent in a recognizable form in a logo the way a window can.

>Playboy

"Why choose a rabbit to start with for an adult magazine brand? Hugh Hefner, the creator and chief editor of Playboy Magazine, addressed this query: “The rabbit, the bunny, in America ***has a sexual meaning***, and I chose it because it’s a fresh animal, shy, vivacious, jumping – ***sexy***. First, it smells you, then it escapes, then it comes back, and ***you want to caress it, to play with it***. A girl resembles a bunny, joyful, joking.” "

>Google

Like Starbucks, not an object that can be represented realistically by a recognizable graphic, it's essentially meaningless out of context. Also an incredibly shitty logo.

>Audi-

"In 1932...With the formation of Auto Union, a new logo was introduced...This logo featured four rings, each representing one of the four brands (Audi, DKW, Horch, and Wanderer), connected together."

Four auto brands unified...Auto Union.
>>
File: microsofter.jpg (16 KB, 875x580)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>453300
>Fist of all, "Windows" is not the name of a company, it's a product.
exactly. it is the logo of a company. hence my examples of even more companies. -.-

>business logo inspiration tangent
exactly. and microsoft is inspired by a window.

excuse me wtf are you arguing against exactly? nobody said these logos *not to even have* meaningful origin?!
I pointed out how dumb the notion is that this meaning has to be extractable from purely looking at the thing without more context. you just showed how that is actually the case.
honestly, learn to read...
>>
File: asshole.jpg (129 KB, 551x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>453301
>>
>>453307
*gasp* rude!
>>
best to worst
1. (2001-2012)
2. (1993-1995)
4. (1995-2001)
5. (1985-1989)
6. (2021-present)
7. (2012-2021)
>>
>>451555
21 isn't interesting your just glad there's a change for the first time in a decade.
>>
>>453333
possible. I still prefer it over what came before and think the super reductionist approach having been the correct choice at this point.
>>
>>451542
>1985
Kinda lame.
>1992
Peak.
>1995
Bad.
>2001
Good
>2012
Soulless.
>2021
This is four squares.
>>
>>451571
>but in terms of UI, Aero is.
Vista Aero or 7 Aero? They're 2 different beasts.
>>
>>452661
I never want to become friends with someone who thinks the best Windows logo was the worst one.
>>
>>453532
You say that as if anyone so petty and shallow could actually have real friends.
>>
The watercolor theme from Whistler is where Microsoft's UI aesthetic peaked.
>>
File: win31logo-4000144748.png (4 KB, 355x425)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>451542
Like >>451571 said, 2 and 3 need to be swapped.
Early Windows had brighter colors because the color palette was more limited on some PCs. The more pastel colors came with 98 and Me, when SVGA 24-bit color was the norm.
>>
>>451542
7 > XP > Vista > 95 > 10 > 11
>>
>>451542
win 7 classic had nice click sounds, didn't ship with dwm enabled and felt very snappy
it was also simplistic and not overloaded with poorly functioning features, so it was better for workflow than 10/11
obviously nothing beats macosx 10.6-10.7
that was just and orgasmic beauty of ui/ux
>>
>>454195
This was true minimalism, succeeds at being visually appealing and not too distracting.

Flatshitters today would never achieve doing something like this, as much as they try.
>>
>>451542
95, XP, 98/2000, then Windows 10.
Windows 95 is really something else dude

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.