[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1312.png (28 KB, 295x138)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
Last april, i went to magadan in the far east. people were still driving old cars, and the cans around them had a gradient design with cyrillic letters. I wanted to live here. but soon i had to return to my home in south korea. in there, tradition has been killed. my feeling at the time is that i want to send some mail with the charger to airport, university.
Flat design ruined my life, and annoying me until death. flat design based on pragmatism and materialism.everyone loves the old skeuomorphism, but it's crazy that flat design still exists today.
>>
Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design. Flat Design.
>>
its awful

graphic design peaked in the 2000s
>>
"design based on pragmatism" - design should be based on pragmatism! If it works, it's good.

Not "everyone loves the old skeuomorphism". Flat design is particularly good for logos. It makes them easier to use in more contexts.

Flat design often works well in interfaces. Do you want the interface high on the visual hierarchy all the time? It's much better if it isn't prominent most of the time.
>>
>>452378
Prove that it doesn't exist.
>>
>>452473
Nobody said that it "doesn't exist", the truth is quite the opposite-

All graphic design or artwork that exists on a surface in which if any two points are chosen, a straight line joining them lies wholly in that surface is by definition "flat design".
>>
>>452375
Check out Honda's latest rebranding.
>>
Yeah but now logo is backlit on the cars so it looks pretty dope.
>>
File: IMG_6897.jpg (364 KB, 1290x385)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>452375
Marketing switches their logos and packaging every few years so that creative directors can pretend to comply things. Take cola cans for example, they flip between gradients and then go to a clean design, then back to gradients. I guess people’s eyes get used to something and the culture as a whole shifts and the overall design language changes, like fashion.m, goes in circles.
>>
>>452375
unironicaly west world logo
>>
>>453360
damn 1990 Pepsi can is wild i like it tho
>>
>>452375
blue collar to fancier blue collar to white collar
fun

anyway I feel like yeah the 95' one in your example makes the most sense because it can be translated into the 2000 style. Really a large company wants both or more types for different purposes.
>>
File: IMG_8395.jpg (128 KB, 1904x1103)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>452375
>>454752
>>454750
When design becomes flatter and flatter it’s an indicator culture losing its soul after an economic boom, as society departs from family and tradition in search of material perfection for fulfillment. So it does align with anon’s blue collar/white collar shift. If we start seeing more gradients and 3D pop that isn’t masked in irony, it could be a sign that we are on the upswing, both in the economy and culture. Maybe I’m grasping at straws here but I do feel something when looking at logo history.
>>
File: Hugo-Boss-Logo-history.png (36 KB, 3840x1715)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
this and changing sans serif logotypes to non serif ones = criminal offense
>>
>>454764
shut the fuck up
>>
>>454775
Great contribution, fucking brown faggot.
>>
File: Boss193837474.png (987 KB, 1290x1238)
987 KB
987 KB PNG
>>454774
>Hugo Boss is trying to recast itself as cool. Gen Z cool.
Diversity hires going to work at corporate and couldn’t think outside of the Supreme font. So sleek.
>>
>>454774
From my experience normies are alergic to Serif.
>>
>>452405
This. This. This. This.
>>
>>452405
true it is
>>
>>452405
Do you mean 1920s? Because 2000 was shit until you are blinded by nostalgia
>>
File: 1018316866.jpg (36 KB, 601x311)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>454780
>Hugo Boss is trying to recast itself as cool. Silent Gen cool
>>
>>454764
Magical thinking at work
>>
>man da world began in like 2005 and dey corporate advertising aint got no soul no mo sheeit
>>
>>452424
>Flat design often works well in interfaces. Do you want the interface high on the visual hierarchy all the time? It's much better if it isn't prominent most of the time.

Z-axis clues like inset and outset bevels and gradients imply which parts of the UI can be interacted with in the UI and which ones are purely informational WITHOUT having to READ any of the text or icon glyphs or understand the context.

That reduces the attention and energy required to begin interact with the UI for hours on your wagiedevice.

UI elements in 2010-2015 were "flattened" in many application and OS GUIs not because it's "better UX", but due to emergence of high-DPI and variable-DPI resolution screens and accessibility settings for these things in operating systems and limitations of the existing stuff.

It was not yet clear technically how to implement and in vector image editors on demand create and accommodate the existing fixed DPI bitmap icon designs and background textures of buttons and toolbars to this so they got rid of them. It was not clear how to make spatial icons and UI elements that look good when automatically scaled to various sizes, because some accent highlight hairline does not mean 1 pixel-hinted physical-pixel anymore and may look blurry on some random 213.4335% device screen DPI accompanied custom font-size scale. Only the solid fill shapes and some basic gradients looked OK enough. SVG which some toolkits may have supported is also a very functionally limited format in most vector image editors and clients.

GNOME desktop only supported integer scaling values for DPI and never really got rid of the spatial elements. Microsoft and Apple has added these clues back as well where they could now that they have idea how to do it.
>>
>>455405
Vector illustrations were also all the rage because SVG that the web browsers support is few dozen KB at most and scale indefinitely while a high res bitmap that would look good on a 2K monitor will be at least in hundreds and a detailed pattern noise vintage crunchy texture for the page background will be in MB.
>>
>>454764
Have you ever been laid?
>>
>>452375
>everyone loves the old skeuomorphism
I don't. But I remember when it was a new thing and flat design was what I was used to.
>>
>>454764
Flat design was prevalent in the mid 20th century during one of the biggest economic and cultural booms of all time.
>>
>>454774
sans serif = non serif
>>
>>454774
>sans serif logotypes to non serif
bro actually said this on a design board and expects to be taken seriously... You want to know the worst part? These people did take him seriously
>>454780
>>454785
>>
>>455942
i prefer sans non serif grotesk myself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.