[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have the opportunity to attend two different schools for a "multimedia design" degree, both take sort of a different approach

First one: This one gives you a very basic understanding of design with two or three design subjects in the curriculum like "Graphic Design I/II" and the rest of the degree is divided in different modules where they teach you certain software and a project along with it, from Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender, Unreal Engine, post production video/audio, even PHP programming with UX/UI stuff, 3D modeling/animation, VFX etc. I expect all of them to be very basic and that you're supposed to dive deep on your own interest, it's more like a "practical" degree in some way.

The other school has a more traditional degree with courses like photography, art history & design, front end webdev, typography, morphology, digital audio, design semiotics, it also has some 3D subjects but it doesn't cover as much.

Idk, do you guys think it's important to have an strong foundation in design for working with 3D? I think I want to do motion graphics or maybe post-production video but I still don't know, the good thing about the first school is that it kinda shows you all the possibilities.

I don't know if I like Graphic Design to be honest, I like using photoshop and doing edits and stuff like that, but I don't like branding or logo/package design
>>
>>452676
dollfie dream dolls are so cute

> I like using photoshop and doing edits and stuff like that, but I don't like branding or logo/package design

Isn't that how it should be? It's because of the work issue... the second option also has ''front end webdev''... emm it also has ''typography'' ''design semiotics'' ''morphology'', things related to web page design , I just wanted to highlight it, it is a bit curious, to tell the truth I have no idea about this, it is also little information.
>>
>>452676
at some point, youre gping to be software hopping all the time and learning new shit all the time and you dont have to pretend that knowing all the shortcuts to shave milliseconds off working time is whats important.

the people who make shit happen at the end of the day know design and art. anyone can be the modelling monkey or the photoshop monkey. school is a rare opportunity to study that shit no one else knows or thinks is important: the art of it all.
>>
>>452676
going to school for art is a bad idea.
>>
>>452707
no, but thanks
>>
>>452676
it doesnt really matter, most jobs will require you to know many programs. Personally i think AI will exacerbate this generalist approach. Pick whichever degree you find most interesting. Whats important is to apply yourself to the actual art - think deeply about what works, why it works, etc.
>>
>>452743
>>452691
What these anons said. You are never going to learn all the software, moreover the program you decide to learn might become obsolete in the process. Each profession has its "industry standard" tool(s) which you should learn (in graphic design that still is Adobe trinity: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign). On top of that it's beneficial to have an ace up your sleeve, like being able to draw well or know how to do basic animation or 3D. But never attempt to learn everything. What I am trying to say, is that much more beneficial is to study theory and history. What works, what doesn't. The school should first and foremost boost your creative thinking, so that you are able to do great things in any scenario. Good luck.
>t. graphic design and visual communication major
>>
If you’re open to suggestions, I would recommend at least minoring in marketing/advertising or some related business field. You’ll be working with these kinds of people closely and it’ll give you a much broader skill set and ability to climb the corporate ladder better. A lot of people in creative marketing/advertising don’t bother going to school for design since design can be self taught and a significant portion of people have. If you have some other credentials other than design you’ll have a leg up.
Good luck with school, I’m graduating in a few months
>>
>>452802
design isnt self taught
lol wtf good luck
>>
>>452716
okay then go for it :)
>>
>>452990
already did, thats how i know
>>
>>452994
enjoy your useless degree and debt
>>
>>453160
my city connections and degree got me the gig im working now, toured me through europe on paid gigs and are letting me get paid and never get up before noon. im good, thanks.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.