[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Fax Button.jpg (8 KB, 234x216)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Is there an easy way to replicate the image degredation from repeatedly copying/faxing a document? Ideally this would be for PDF files, but any format would be better than nothing.
>>
bump
>>
sure. repeatedly copy a document, scan, copy, and so-forth until desired results are achieved.
>>
>>453895
It's A4 sized, and all I have access to is 8.5"x11".
>>
>>453899
so like size it down to 8.5x11, print it, scan it, reprint, scan, etc etc? honestly downsizing would actually help you achieve degradation. i guess i'm not really understanding what the issue is.
>>
>>453895
>>453902
If this was a viable option, don't you think it would be the first thing I thought of? Just the fact that I'm asking the question should tell you I'm looking for another way, But I'll b4 more specific:
I am looking for a way to do this digitally.
>>
bump
>>
just find some samples and work with them, copying them
what skils do you have?
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (28 KB, 500x375)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>453902
>downsizing would actually help you achieve degradation

>i guess i'm not really understanding what the issue is

No shit, it works in in exactly the opposite way; reducing the size of an image is how line art and other images are cleaned up and an integral part of the process of creating art for print media back in the day.

Easiest way to imitate copy/fax machine degradation digitally is to mess with light values, contrast, exposure, etc , since most photocopying artifacts and distortions are the result of the actual photographic part of the process and strong light was what allowed them to reject all but text and other deliberate markings....every generation was slightly overexposed and the contrast boosted so details like fine lines, dots and sharp corners would gradually melt away.
At the same time, if you adjusted the machine darker to pickup those details any small dark areas, erased pencil lines and even the shadows of paper texture would get reproduced, and subsequent attempts to lighten them back out by re- copying with higher contrast wouldn't get all of them, leaving characteristic splotchiness.
>>
each time the ink prints it’s not a digital process nor is the scanning it’s analog to digital in the scan and digital to analog in the printing
so you would find the physics of the scanning process then simulate it and same for the printing, simulate the analog printing
with those 2 filters it’s an iterative process for each and the number of iterations increases the effect of scanning then printing, taking the output and repeating the process

That’s how you would make an accurate fx or plugin or whatever but you can just jank it using photoshit
>>
Try the app "LOWER" w the yellow icon :P
>>
>>453663
Yes.
>>
>>454315
Just to be clear, xerography is not an inherently digital process and doesn't use ink...it uses an electrically charged drum or belt to selectively attract a dry powder toner to desired print areas, that is then thermally fused to the paper printing substrate.

It's more analogous to how powder coating works than printing and the less than precise nature of how it translates the source image to a static charge as well as the resolution available with the mechanical properties of the toner are part of what gives it its characteristic look and generational loss of detail and artifacting.

The fact that xerography *isn't* digital is part of why it can be difficult to replicate convincingly using digital technology and digitally created files that tend to pixelate and show other obviously digital artifacts when deliberately degraded in a digital process.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.