[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Swiss design.png (2.39 MB, 2481x3508)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
What's your design boogeyman and how did you overcome it?
>>
>>455552
BAUHAUS, BEETS, BATTLE STAR GALACTICA
>>
>>455552
If you mean some more or less instinctive way of doing things that I had to force myself to look at objectively and fix when better designers called it out, then overcrowding layouts and typesetting.

Overcame it by realizing that bigger isn't necessarily better, and that the margin of too much space before something looks weird or hard to read/ interpret is a lot more forgiving than the margin between enough and too little space.

Also, even if you ultimately decide to tighten things up its far easier to do that in a fixed size like a page or sign face or vehicle graphic/lettering than trying to find space to add when your design is too crowded.
>>
File: atomic.jpg (200 KB, 354x500)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>455552
I have a perverse love-hate relationship to dutch style design.
Crowel, Martens, Niessen, ... but also the derivates it spawned all over the world.
striking. and yet so overused and predictable. such peak "I-am-so-intellectually-inclined" dumbness!

otherwise biggest boogeyman: for sure laziness.
not *really* thinking about what I am doing but slipping into trodden paths.

also.
>the swiss design meme would be funnier if it showed any actual design experience
>>
>>455552
I don't understand the hate for Swiss style. It has a place and it fills a need. It is appropriate in certain applications.

If a given design doesn't need it, then don't use it.
>>
File: cheesebob swisspants.png (269 KB, 372x526)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>455560
nvm I stand corrected.
the original is way funnier!
>>
>>455552
>>455564
>oppressive
>caged like an animal

Is it any wonder people embrace the promise of AI eliminating the kinds of humans who make this shit up and proudly display their overwrought melodramatic faggotry like its a medal?
>>
>>455586
Ikr?
I love original swiss design!
only made that rework as an exercise. don't think it looks particularly great, yet it was still fun to do!
>amazing work from that period!
>>
>>455563
It's just performative hipster contrarian chic

> the squares are all hung up on making bread and can't dig that they're in a cage, man!
>>
>>455552
I love Mayan calligraphy.
>>
File: 6929153001_f111627b71_b.jpg (220 KB, 703x1024)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>455589
During the Spanish Revival architectural movement in the US roughly between the beginning of WW1 till the start of the great depression there was also a smaller sub-movement of Mayan Revival that made use of those motifs for masonry and tile work...those structures tend to be pretty localized in SoCal and are rare to see as built, but they are cool AF, I know people in San Diego whose 1926 mansion has the original Mayan style fireplace surround...picrel is another from a place in Los Angeles
>>
File: CALCO fireplace.jpg (102 KB, 600x772)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>455591
In keeping with the cultural sensitivity of the era they also marketed it as "aztec"
>>
>>455564
le oppressive grids
fucking lol
you suk and are likely underage
>>
>>455597
you are too dumb to read the comments properly and even realize this design roasting ops stupid notion, YET I AM THE CHILD.
>sure thing, honey. you are just as retarded
>>
>>455603
lol just cuz u gay doesnt mean the big boys want to suk you
>>
>>455604
lol cope more
>>
>>455552
I FUUCKIING HATE THE BAUHAUS
I FUCKING LOVE ORGANIC SHAPES
I LOVE THREE DIMENSIONAL FORMS THAT HAVE CONSISTENCY IN SPACE AS IF THEY SHARE A “SET”
I LOVE ENCOURAGING THE VIEWER TO ENGAGE WITH THE PIECE
I HATE INSTRUCTING THE VIEWER ON HOW THEY “SHOULD” FEEL OR THINK
>>
>>455609
bauhaus was a movement that actively questioned dusty, established instructions on what to think or how to feel.
you could almost describe the people from back then as the first group of non-artists doing art - questioning old, incrusted institutions that inhibited a proper adjustment to the recently made advancements and the ongoing shifts in society.

but whatever man. fuuuuuck THE BAUHAUS!
>...as if there were no other things to worry about...
>>
>>455610
dont be fooled anon
bauhaus was artists. doing art. they just chose to embrace the new world instead of pretending they couldnt see it
>>
File: die Nacht.jpg (26 KB, 436x660)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>455620
sure, they got prestige they deserved. but saying
>you could *almost* describe the people from back then as the first group of non-artists doing art
still doesn't strike me as wrong, even if you could go into a lot more detail...

new technologies changed the approach to art. mainly the camera, but also evolutions in printing technique and other means of production.
old art wisdom turned obsolete, the *traditional artist* pretty much died out. and with them they took many of the skills you wouldn't need anymore in this new era.
bauhaus was fresh, standing on still glowing ashes - new grounds of potential! actively accepting and even embracing change.
even if developing organically (after artists like malevitch) it marks an obvious point in history of not following the outdated trajectory anymore.
they contributed their fair bit in redefining what an artist even was. more so than many other epochs.
>>
>>455628
Except that the people who founded, staffed and are associated with the Bauhaus were not "non- artists", that is an absurd and historically inaccurate claim.

So is the laughably ignorant claim that "old art wisdom turned obsolete, the *traditional artist* pretty much died out" at that time.
>>
>>455633
no.
instead it is laughably ignorant to claim I said any of this, when actually I said (*twice*, even lol):
>you could *almost* describe the people from back then as the first group of non-artists doing art

your built up hate for me clearly inhibits you from understanding what the message is about.
all that is left for me to do is giggle about the the funny noises that the accumulated pressure inside of you is occasionally making
*honk honk*
>>
>>455635
The fact that you added the weasel word
>*almost*
and are nowvusing it as some kind of ill conceived distancing mechanism away from what words actually means doesn't change anything, both instances cited are still a factually incorrect and ignorant blathering.
>>
File: oh yea.jpg (31 KB, 733x412)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>455645
haha
one way of coping with a reading disability.
>>
>>455628
>new technologies
>mainly the camera

LOFL, not only was the camera not a "new technology" when the Bauhaus existed, the photographic experimentation most associated with it didn't even use a camera...and predated it-

>In 1918 Christian Schad's experiments with the photogram were inspired by Dada, creating photograms from random arrangements of discarded objects he had collected such as torn tickets, receipts and rags. Some argue that he was the first to make this an art form, preceding Man Ray and László Moholy-Nagy by at least a year or two.

Also, exactly which
>evolutions in printing technique
that were contemporaneous with the existence of the Bauhaus were being "inhibited" by "old, incrusted institutions" that issued "dusty, established instructions on what to think or how to feel" in an attempt to dissuade anyone from using them?
>>
File: ВХУТЕМАС.jpg (64 KB, 441x630)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>455655
where did I say bauhaus having used the camera as a main medium?
I mentioned it emerging *in the context of the camera existing* (which had huge implications for society, philosophy, ultimately cosmology).
you know the whole story of how the camera played a major part in leading to the development of impressionism and expressionism, cubism, bauhaus, dadaism and so on, eh?

1904: Offset lithography was invented (taking off like 10 years later).
1907: silk screen screen printing came along.

of course there was more to it! but these are pretty relevant aspects.
(like ww1 having ended, pushing the socialdemocrats in central europe (cheaper living - see functionalism in architecture).
compare also to russian vkhutemas and constructivist architecture movement - pretty much the same thing)
>>
the bauhaus was utterly artistic and remains the foundation, after a century, of contemporary art practice and education.

so of course the bauhaus is doubly hated as both the utterly modern and radical and the stilted 'old'

Itten, Abers (anni and jo), maholy nagy - all of them
we stnd on their shoulders.
>>
>>455658
>erm everyone does it so it’s good
>erm it’s been established for a while so it’s good
>>
>>455691
not even close bud
how can you misread something so badly?

whats your meme text trying to do?
>>
>>455701
Of course you’d be incapable of understanding it
Maybe get yourself into another 4 years worth of college debt

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.