[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2024_paris_pictograms.png (227 KB, 1600x1080)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
What do we think of the new pictograms?
>https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/the-games/the-brand/pictograms
>>
>>456466
I think that they have been elevated from mere visual aids to striking coats of arms that serve as rallying cries for sports fans. I also think that they symbolise not only the different sports, but also pride, values, and a large and diverse family.

I plan to pick a coat of arms and wear it with pride!
>>
Not as good as the Japanese ones.
>>
File: paralympic_fencing.png (69 KB, 652x652)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
In this sport we FIGHT the WHEELCHAIR.
>>
pure garbage from garbage artists with no skills except how to create primitive shapes in the cursed program called adobe illustrator
>>
>>456477
post work
>>
>>456479
>>
>>456466
I generally like the aesthetic, but as a non-sports person a few don't really paint an obvious picture of what they are.

For example 6, 21, and 24 I have no idea what those are meant to be. 3 and 4 look easy to confuse with one another.

19 (the skateboard one) I feel looks the best. Evocative and clear. Somehow makes skateboarding look like a traditional, honorable sport.
>>
>>456473
reddit is that way
>>
>>456466
If you think this is good design, then you're an amateur.
>>
>>456494
Japanese pictograms depicted people engaged in the sports. They used a design system so they had consistent weight and similar features. These French ones are all over the place. Different line lengths and weights. Symmetry just makes a lot of them look busy. Different ways to depict water and motion from one to the next.
>>
>>456493
4 is kayaking where you move the paddle, 3 is kayaking where the paddle smells.

14 is for the newly added sport of "discovering random parts of a dismembered mountain biker and their bike on a path by the river"
>>
>>456497
Also only one (taekwondo) depicts a complete human being with a head and a torso, others like judo show only a headless torso, or a torso-less head or random body part/garment like a foot/ shoe or glove or helmet or swimsuit.

Symbolizing a "diverse family" by eliminating people entirely.
>>
>>45646
>>456467
>What do we think of the new pictograms?
the animated ones are really nice
does anyone know where i could find the rest of them? you can see some of them animated in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhsYRlQrt1o but the gymnastics one is animated whenever eurosport shows their ticker thingy, so there's gotta be more of them. Google doesn't even show the animated ones in their knowledge graph thing, but the URL looks pretty easy to poke around with: https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/sports/olympics/2024/blue_pictograms/optimised/light/ioc_pictograms/gymnastics_rhythmic.svg
>>
File: 1722286446774101.jpg (123 KB, 1200x1201)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>456533
I noticed they are kind of hiding them in these games. They mostly use these graphics in the backgrounds and on tv.
>>
>>456466
Based and Final Fantasy-pilled.
>>
>>456493
Tbf, they're not meant to introduce you to a sport. They're meant to allow people looking for a sport to be guided to where the venue is/the program time/etc. The ones I don't get are sports I'm not familiar with, i.e., the logos aren't for me.
>>
>>456568
I'm curious how well they're working at the actual venues, they don't seem to read well from a distance.
>>
>>456466
They are cool, but they are not fit for purpose. They don't serve the purpose they were designed for by giving you an idea of the sport at a glance. Some of these you really have to just fucking guess.

Like, bottom right, what the fuck is that? If someone tells you they could instantly know the sport of all of these without having seen them before they are absolutely lying.

They look pretty though...
>>
>>456467
>I think that they have been elevated from mere visual aids
Yeah, they were elevated to just AIDS
>>
File: wrestling.png (33 KB, 616x600)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>456616
>Like, bottom right, what the fuck is that?
I thought it would be wrestling, but on looking it up it's apparently taekwondo and picrel is wrestling.
>>
wtf is the first one on the second row? wheel of the worst?
>>
>>456466
Not as readable as past years, and they would be even harder to read from any distance, it feels like they keep getting worse and worse just for the sake of being artsy fartsy.
>>
>>456688
They mentioned inclusion 50 times in the reveal. The mascot is Gender neutral even. Woke mind virus = bad design 100% of the time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.