[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled2-1.jpg (146 KB, 1920x640)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Historically speaking, why do people buy luxury items? and why is it bad to use their exact copies?
>>
>>16533230
They buy luxury items to maintain or improve their social status in society. Fakes are despised because the person is signalling that they cannot afford the original and thus they are trying to be something that they are not.
This behaviour is similarly present in some birds. The males collect shiny objects to attract females.
>>
to dab on poorlets
it's bad to use the copies because it renders you as poorlet to be dabbed on
>>
>>16533271
And if the others do not know that it is a copy?
>>
>>16533310
Then the others were only pretending to be cultured and there's no problem, at least until they find out that it's a fake, which in turn exposes them as fakes.
>>
>>16533310
They will respect you but it's very difficult to cover the lie depending on your lifestyle. Are you a wealthy guy who works as a top surgeon and frequents a fancy country club which charges a 10k/year membership fee? Yeah, no one will suspect that your Patek Phillipe watch is fake unless they are a clockmaker.
If you work as a high school teacher and drive a Ford though, no one will believe your watch is original for one second
>>
>>16533342
>>16533362
even watchmakers can recognize modern fake watches only with a microscope, but no one recognizes bags and clothes
>>
>>16533278
>poorlets
You're not saying a large chunk of your identity is defined by material wealth, are you?
>>
Buying luxury items isn't always about status. I want a watch with a swiss movement just because I think automatic watch movements are cool and Swiss movements in particular are usually made to very high accuracy and mechanical tolerance compared to cheaper Tongji (Chinese Standard) watch movements.
Of course if you don't give a shit about mechanical watches then just use your phone or get a cheapass quartz watch that'll be more accurate anyways. The point I'm trying to make here is that sometimes its more of an enthusiast thing than it is purely about status.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.