[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: LargeImageHandler.jpg (310 KB, 710x1000)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>Leonora Braham's first husband, Frederick Barnes, shot himself in the head in front of her and their young son while the family was preparing for a "fairy picnic" in the garden of their Montreal home.
>Returning to England in 1880 she created the roles of seven Gilbert and Sullivan heroines. During this time, she became increasingly dependent on alcohol to cope with the isolation and shame she felt despite her blossoming career. She secretly remarried and was dismissed from the D'Oyly Carte opera company as a result. She made a living from then on as a wandering performer alongside her husband (a tenor).
>This second husband, J. Duncan Young, was confined to mental institution, plunging Braham into poverty in her final years.
I've been reading about the D'Oyly Care company for a project recently, and I can't decide if Braham was a victim, or an early example of the BPD art hoe genre of woman.
>>
Based D’Oyly Carte for firing her. That’s the correct way to handle these whores.
>>
Neither, she was attracted to crazy men, and pursued them.
>>
>>16534202
I could have saved her.
>>
>>16533792
Arms like Popeye. May have been a husband beater.
>>
>>16534493
Big arms but she was super short (under five feet) so even a short Victorian man should have been able to take her. Her short stature is one the reasons she was able to convincingly play a 14 year old schoolgirl in the mikado despite being 32 years old.
>>
>yeah Leo, I know your husband just turned his brain to goo in front of you and your infant son but we’re going to need you to sing this:
https://youtu.be/mXWkIZUPmDY?si=Kl6yKFo6TZBFoNIz
>>
>>16534202
Where tf are these sorts of women now, and why aren’t they pursuing me?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.