[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706650072045996 (1).jpg (229 KB, 938x962)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
I know obviously the quote is very racist and used on /B/ by racists but I swear this is purely about the nature and origin of the supposed quote. I see this excerpt of a letter from HP Lovecraft to James Joyce pop up on /B/ every now and then and everyone keks to it like it's some piece of arcane knowledge they've just uncovered but I'm really curious if anyone knows anything about it and if it's actually real at all. S.T. Joshi estimates he wrote around 87,500 letters in his lifetime so I'm sure it'd be hard to find online especially since the main collections of his letters are still under copyright. I only found one letter that mentioned Joyce when HP said how he refused to read Ulysses because it would be a waste of energy in the 4th edition of the collection but that's about it. Does anyone happen to know anything about this topic, I don't have any proof that they ever wrote to each other let alone this specific letter so I'm guessing it was just for racist "look guys he predicted the future" but he wrote a shit tonne I'm sure you could find something else.
>>
File: 1510446419947.jpg (67 KB, 512x628)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
UNFATHOMABLY DARK-COLORED INDIVIDUALS SMELLING SO HORRIBLE, SPEAKING IN UNINTELLIGIBLE UTTERANCES; AN ELDRITCH BLASHPHEMY OF FOREIGN ACCENTS AND SKIN COLORS. UNIMAGINABLE EBONICS OF SUPREMELY LOW INTELLIGENCE AND ABYSMAL SELF CONTROL. NAUTICAL-LOOKING NEGRO, OH DARK CREATURE FROM BEYOND THE SUBURBS, HORRIBLE AND TWISTED MANIFESTATION OF THE URBAN DEPTHS, WHAT HELLISH UNNATURAL FORCE RELEASED THY SOUNDCLOUDIAN WRATH UPON MY RUGGED SOUL
>>
It seems unlikely Joyce knew about him. He was a nobody during his lifetime.
>>
>>16535910
Lovecraft was scared out of his mind. Of many things, then there was the dreams, every Lovecraftian horror, he never invented, he dreamed of. It's in his letters, he dreamed then wrote.
>>
>>16535950
Well that's why I started thinking about it because they were obviously in completely different circles and Lovecraft's circle were basically just a bunch of nobodies with the most famous being the guy who wrote Psycho but that was only after Lovecraft died so even if he didn't hate Ulysses I doubt Joyce who seemed to be basically a fucking baller his whole life, would have any time for the shut in writing fan mail about them blacks.
>>
>>16535910
I'm pretty certain it's bullshit, like you said, Joyce wouldn't know who Lovecraft was. It's not out of keeping with Lovecraft's racism though.
>>
>>16535910
It seems pretty anachronistic to me. The idea of roaming the stars would seem ludicrous and completely fantastical during his lifetime.
>>
>>16535910
>I only found one letter that mentioned Joyce when HP said how he refused to read Ulysses because it would be a waste of energy
Based
>>
Lovecraft didn't call them niggers, he was too verbose. It needs at least four extra syllables

t. Lovecraft lover

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.