[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have realized how ignorant I am about medieval history and would like to expand my knowledge. But I don't know where to start. I don't know if you could recommend a book, youtube channel or documentary to help me expand my knowledge of history.
>>
>>16536764
Unironically play Imperator Rome -> Crusader Kings 3 -> EU4
>>
>>16536796
Video games won't teach you about history. They are more of a source of erroneous misconceptions about historical characters' actions, intentions, ways of behaving, and ways of speaking than anything.
>>
>>16536764
>wartime Nordic vs. peacetime Scandinavian
>>
>>16536764
what is to blame for my obsession with history is aoe2. it isnt that accurate but its fun and thats what matters.
>>
>>16536764
>how ... like
Fucking hell. It's either "what did they look like" or "how did they look", "how did they look like" is pajeet tier ESL shit
>>
File: 1713799043775483.jpg (302 KB, 1130x773)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>16536764
>>
>>16536764
Another brownskin OP obsessed with "le wyte pepol".
Posts meme with stereotypical broken English.
Completely meaningless thread full of autistic homosexual shitskin animals.
>>
>>16536810
Very true, but they did start me down the path of learning actual history. I know that’s kind of gay, but I’ll admit it (I actually read history in my spare time now I promise).
>>
>>16538376
>Very true, but they did start me down the path of learning actual history.
I absolutely fucking hate people like you.
STFU you autistic video game addicted genetic reject.
>>
>>16538361
>Hallow I'm here to tak your stuff
>>
>>16536810
They will make you more interested in certain events/periods
>>
>>16538516
Try finding some hobbies and relaxing anon. It’s not that serious.
>>
>>16536796
For me it was anime that got me interested in the Celts.
>>
The Age of the Vikings by Anders Winroth is a good book
>>
>>16536764
Chris Wickham 'Inheritance of Rome'
>>
>>16538361
I always imagine the vikings more like a bunch of half naked blond twinks shaking up a saxon priest saying: "just give us your gold, old man!"
>>
>>16536764
You should try reading Georges Duby, he has some interesting writing and approaches medieval history from a multidisciplinary perspective
>>
>>16539170
I know I'd surrender my abbey's
possessions immediately if I saw that
>>
Are there any periods or locations you're interested in? General 'history of the world' type books don't go into very much depth and usually aren't worth reading unless you're very young.
>>
>>16538516
>full ride doctoral scholarship
>6’2”
>blonde blue eyed
>200lbs with abs
>1/2/3/4 lifts for reps
>married to a virgin church girl
>5000 hours in paradox games

Much like picrel, you seethe over arbitrary standards to mask your inferiority, like someone who ties manhood to drinking a particular kind of whiskey.
>>
>>16536764
Oh to actually answer your question. Do whatever you will actually read/listen to so long as it is accurate. I would highly recommend learning about antiquity in more depth first, but it’s because there’s less to study in terms of primary sources so the Romans/Greeks can be a really solid introduction to reading primary sources for a first-timer. I would say to simply pick a state/kingdom/nation/faith and just grab a general secondary source on it or primary sources and keep reading about it if you enjoy it. Bibliographies and footnotes can be a great way to find more texts to read. Forewards and Prefaces and the like are also something that actually matters in history. The author or translator will often explain a lot that might go over your head if you just read the source directly.
>>
>>16536796
Listening to an audiobook or lecture on the period and nation you are playing while you play is peak.
>>
>>16538516
>gaming leads anon to find a new area of interest
>YOU AUTISTIC GENETIC REJECT
>I HATE YOUUUUU

Full spectrum warrior detected

Chris-chan is that you
>>
>>16536796
Kill yourself!
>>
>>16538516
>>16539759

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.