[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1605813552274.jpg (263 KB, 750x709)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>Morals BAD Chud!
>Hmm...why don't I do something immoral right now....? B-Because I don't want to...
>
>A-Also I'm a cultural christian now...
>>
>>16536885
>>Hmm...why don't I do something immoral right now....? B-Because I don't want to...
This is funny because they're actually telling on themselves.
>So you're saying is that all it would take for you to do something immoral would be to just want to do it? Nothing else would stop you? No laws, punishments, consequences? Your "morality" begins and ends with your own desires?
>>
>>16536918
I don't know why you're acting like whether you want to do something or not is solely determined by some animalistic hedonist impulse. Laws, punishments or other forms of consequence can obviously play a big role in whether you want to do something. That being said, I find that empathy plays the biggest role in situations that are generally considered to present a moral problem.
>>
>>16536930
>I don't know why you're acting like whether you want to do something or not is solely determined by some animalistic hedonist impulse.
The fact that people like you live in the same society as me creeps me out.
>That being said, I find that empathy plays the biggest role in situations that are generally considered to present a moral problem.
Except of course for Trolley problem situations, in those empathy doesn't help much.
>>
>>16536941
>The fact that people like you live in the same society as me creeps me out.
Why?
>Except of course for Trolley problem situations, in those empathy doesn't help much.
Help with what?
>>
>>16536930
>That being said, I find that empathy plays the biggest role in situations that are generally considered to present a moral problem.
Also this is a problem, because it means that you're going to disregard people with whom you do not feel empathy towards. Like some unknown child in Africa starving to death or another one in Southeast Asia working at a sweatshop whose name or face you've never seen or heard. Empathy cannot be the end of our sense of morality.
>>
>>16536950
>Empathy cannot be the end of our sense of morality.
I'm gonna rephrase that to make it more clear: empathy cannot be the totality of our sense of morality.
>>
>>16536950
Sorry, that's just a linguistic quirk. When I say empathy, I mean it both in the strong and immediate emotional sense and the more detached intellectualized sense.
>>
>>16536962
>detached intellectualized sense.
You cannot be empathetic and detactched at the same time. It's a contradiction, being empathetic means having to be attached to someone else's feelings.
>>
>>16536993
I said more detached, not completely detached.
Look, my overall view is that once upon a time, ethics was essentially a corpus of sage advice on how to fulfill your and your community's wants and needs. Anything from courting, fishing, hygiene, politics or trade to things like honourable conduct, protection of personal property or becoming the guy men want to be and women want to be with. Over time people got autistic with it and here we are. You can keep the autistic stuff and nitpick my posts, I'll keep the rest.
>>
>>16536918
> So you're saying is that all it would take for you to do something immoral would be to just want to do it?
Yes, that’s what “morals dont exist” mean
>>
>>16537020
Creepy.
>>
File: MaslowHierarchy.png (63 KB, 1218x1055)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>16537016
That's the hierarchy of needs, you think we're still in stage 2 when we're at the top of the pyramid. Sorry man, your method doesn't cut it anymore, you NEED the autistic stuff.
>>
>>16537041
"You need to do XYZ if you want your goods to sell well" is the hierarchy of needs? Are you retarded?
>>
>>16537051
>Over time people got autistic with it and here we are. You can keep the autistic stuff and nitpick my posts, I'll keep the rest.
What did you mean by "autistic stuff"?
>>
>>16537067
Constant bickering over metaethical grounding, what the concepts of "good" and "bad" mean, whether we "ought" to push a fat man onto train tracks to save two people tied to another track etc. Asinine stuff.
>>
>>16537076
All of those are the literal basics for having any remotely fuctioning moral system. You can't just go "uhhhh I feel like it" and expect people to treat you serioulsy.
>>
>>16537085
Anon nobody in the real world listens to your thesis on neokantion deontology when talking about actual issues, and even if they do, your babbling won't have any impact on their stance. You're so deep into the autistic stuff that you only see your morality as a theoretical construct whose sole use is debate.
>>
>>16537093
>Anon nobody in the real world listens to your thesis on neokantion deontology when talking about actual issues, and even if they do, your babbling won't have any impact on their stance.
So? I don't do it for them. I do it because I want to know that my moral compass actually works.
> You're so deep into the autistic stuff that you only see your morality as a theoretical construct whose sole use is debate.
>fuck you for thinking more deeply about moral issues than the average NPC. Who do you think you are?
>>
>>16537105
>So? I don't do it for them. I do it because I want to know that my moral compass actually works.
Works for the purpose of what? For the purpose of arguing?
>fuck you for thinking more deeply about moral issues than the average NPC. Who do you think you are?
What are you actually doing in the real world with all your thinking? Is the purpose of your moralizing entertainment?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.