[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 30years.png (40 KB, 326x374)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
Pointless.
>>
>>16542604
Why do you think it was pointless? Protestants fought for religious purity. Catholics fought for religious unity. French fought for pragmatic geopolitical goals.
>>
>>16542604
110 000 deaths is a lot for Sweden ainnit?
>>
>>16542665
In Swedish service, not necessarily just Swede.s
>>
>>16542665
They had a population of 1,300,000 so yes its a lot.
>>
>>16542604
I'm I1 and want to kill all Swedes.
>>
>>16542678
>>16542665
Sweden used mostly foreign mercenaries. Most powers did actually.
>>
I always find it amusing when people say this or that war was pointless. What would you do to stop it if you could go back in time? Just tell them all that the things they're fighting for don't matter? Do you think that would work? Even if you could convince one side to back down, do you think you could convince the other? Would you be able to make them compromise? Probably not. The best you could do is little more than prolong the inevitable.
>>
>>16542724
Having war between denominations being won by the catholic French, who were on the protestants side makes it a pointless war, unless your the french king that is
>>
>>16542665
Most of them were Germans serving the Swedish crown with some Bongs, Scots, and other people mixed in.
>>
>>16542751
It wasn’t a war of denominations, this can be seen by for example England and Holland both protestant and allied to the Elector Palatine refusing to directly intervene. The war was a war of Imperial authority, at first whether the electorate of Bohemia would go to a Catholic or become a fully hereditary Habsburg fief, and then attempts to reduce the emperor’s growing authority over matters of imperial law and his playing fast and loose with the Imperial Ban in order to pay back favours that won him his war. Hell Sweden had to force Brandenburg and Saxony to join them at gun point and then force them into peace when they switched sides back to the imperial side.

Pretty much the goals of each side were
>Palatine
Muh protestant league
>France
Muh Habsburgs
>Austria
Muh authority
>Spain
Muh Spanish Road
>Sweden
Muh Baltic
>Denmark
Muh Baltic
>Brandenburg
Muh neutrality
>Saxony
Muh neutrality
>Holland
Muh money
>Bavaria
Muh electorate
>>
>>16542604
>Hapsburg losing 30 years war horrendously
>Croatian soldiers arrive and turn the tide
>Hapsburg losing Napoleonic war horrendously
>Croatian soldiers arrive and turn the tide
>WW1
>Hapsburgs are afraid that their Croatian soldiers might join the other side causing disruption and fear throughout the whole empire
>empire collapses
Has there ever been an empire single-handedly held up by a minoirty ethnicity when it comes to war ?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (105 KB, 438x481)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>16542789
and the calvanist house of Brandenberg becomes the Kingdom of Prussia, and quickly becomes the most powerful german state, eventually becoming the german empire.

The political elements came to fore latter in the war, when all its origional rulers were dead

>“A Prussia without a Hohenzollern is possible but preposterous.”
>>
>>16542604
YOU LION OF THE NORTHHHH
>>
>>16542837
I wouldn’t say quickly. The earliest they superceded the Austrian Empire wasn’t for a century after the Thiry Years War ended, really if Austria didn’t have to deal with France during the War of Austrian Succession they probably could have overwhelmed Prussia.
>>
>>16542643
>Why do you think it was pointless? Protestants fought for religious purity. Catholics fought for religious unity. French fought for pragmatic geopolitical goals.

OMG GUYZ!! LET'S DIE FOR JEWS!!!

"rab'-i, rab'-i (rabbi; rhabbi, or rhabbei): A term used by the Jews of their religious teachers as a title of respect, from rabh, "great," so "my great one" (compare Latin magister), once of masters of slaves, but later of teachers (Mt 23:7); therefore translated by didaskalos, "teacher" (Mt 23:8; Joh 1:38; compare Joh 1:49). In the King James Version frequently rendered "Master" (Mt 26:25,49; Mr 9:5; 11:21; 14:45; Joh 4:31; 9:2; 11:8). John the Baptist (Joh 3:26), as well as Christ, is addressed with the title (Joh 1:49; 6:25), both by disciples and others. Jesus forbade its use among His followers (Mt 23:8). Later (Galilean) form of same, RABBONI (which see)."

https://www.internationalstandardbible.com/R/rabbi.html
>>
>>16543737
Be prepared to be called a jew or a larpagan
>>
>>16542604
the czechs warned their children about "the swede" till the 20th century
and it did protect the religious rights of the empires protestants
>>
File: chud arms.png (15 KB, 593x584)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>16542604
My ancestors killed/raped/got raped/got slaughtered in this war and I still gives me genetic trauma to this day.
>>
>>16543978
it still*
>>
>>16542724
Go back even earlier and kill all aprahamists before they spread their thought virus
>>
>>16543737
If I lived in the place of my ancestors then I would either become a sociopathic rapist or a heretical preacher.
>>
>>16542665
Yes, it was. Swedes came up with novel recruiting legislature that managed to draft and kill big chunk of their capable male population.
>>
It's hard to imagine there actually exist people who think the protestants were wrong for not wanting to be slaughtered like sheep by the catholic regents
>>
>>16544342
Everyone wanted to do this to each other you retarded creature
>>
>>16544344
places like brandenburg and the netherlands treated catholics better than any catholic state did protestants
>>
>>16543741
>implying
>>
File: u mad civilian boi.png (549 KB, 610x343)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
>total civilian death
>Kill civilians. Behead civilians. Roundhouse kick a civilian through a window. Slam dunk a civilian into the trash ditch.....
>>
>>16544301
so sweden was like a 17th century russia?
>>
>>16542868
CLAIM THE THRONEEEEE
>>
File: Windows 1618.png (453 KB, 512x377)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>
>>16542665
Funnily enough, given Sweden's modern reputation as being pacifistic feminized bottoms, Sweden between 1611-1721 would probably be in the running for top 5 "most militarized state ever."
>>
File: 1632.png (1.01 MB, 921x734)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>Shot through the neck
>and Catolic to blame
>Gustav Adolf
>was my name!
>>
>>16548125
A high fall into a pile of shit
>>
>>16544500
Are you retarded?
>>
This will be the peak of my first EU5 run. I can imagine they'll create a whole DLC for it given the higher level of detail and pop mechanics.
>>
>>16542604
Do you think WWI and WWII will become irrelevant like this war in a few hundred years? The average person has never heard of it nor do they care. I love reading history but I don't care about it either.
>>
>>16549727
I feel like at least the nuking of Japan will be remembered.
>>
>>16549727
All WWI and WWII will be remembered for is the slaughter of millions of White goyim and the nukes
>>
>>16542604
>keeping inbred medbugs out of the Aryan homeland is pointless
L O L

Wouldnt have had the English Civil war if the Scots hadnt fought for the Swedes and been permitted to take their cannons home, sole reason the English couldnt throw back the Scots was because they were afraid of the Swedish guns.
Scots lose the Bishops war, there is no English Civil War because there is no swelling English army under the King and the Parliament.
If nothing else, the English Civil War is just the King with his small force arresting Parliament as he had planned to do already, thus ending any further conflict.

This means America is not populated by English Cavaliers, there is no Confederacy, there are also no East Anglians or Mercians being given land in America as payment for service by Cromwell.
This means the powerhouse of America, the Mid Atlantic, does not get colonized by hundreds of thousands of people and remains something like Canada or Maine or Georgia.

There is no American Revolution, and if there was, it would lose, this also means the Virginians who carried the country through the Revolution dont exist.

No thirty years war and there is no America.
Without America there is no unified Germany because there is no Zollverein.
Austria-Hungary and Russia beat the shit out of each other. There is no Hitler.
jews take over the world unopposed.
>>
>>16551361
3.5 - 6.5 million civvies. Were they inbred?
>>
File: 11123923892.png (2.68 MB, 1242x912)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
>>16551379
To some degree yes, however, their primary concern regarding the conflict was as supporters of one side or the other, and when you have very maneuverable armies which are quite large the procurement of food is a serious matter and this was many times delegated to mercenary companies which were often used by the smaller states that could not sustain huge national armies in manpower but had the wealth to pay companies of Saxons, Scots, Lombards, and Irish, this meant you had these mercenary companies extorting locals for sustenance which leads to conflict between them and inflated local casualties not only from direct engagements but also from artificial famine.

There were also an abundance of sieges and as cities were heavily fortified there were numerous sieges where the greatest number of casualties were among civilians who found their city a garrison with an army trapped inside, meaning those civilians are also under siege.

I know this thread is trying to pin le violence onto le religion, but this is the lowest level of analysis.
The 30 years war was a political conflict, arguably not an actual war but a series of wars due to an extremely dynamic political landscape owing to the unique time of large well equipped armies in the hands of relatively small states meaning empires no longer had a monopoly on pressing claims for large scale conquest.
But you (not you in particular) may ask: why was it mostly Catholic vs Protestant?
Firstly, it wasnt, the biggest 'offenders' here were Catholic Scots and Protestant French fighting on behalf of Protestant Swedes and Catholic Spaniards respectively.
Secondly, religion is fairly heritable and the 30 years war was also largely fought alone ethnic lines as well, with North Germans fighting South Germans, and Meds fighting Nords.

The critique of this conflict(s) as Religious or Racial in nature is the lowest resolution perspective despite those being the two outstanding features.
>>
>>16551361
Trying to introduce the Book of Common Prayer into Scotland caused a riot in Glasgow Cathedral, with a footstool being kicked down the aisle while people screamed in panic that this was the Mass (and hence they would go to Hell for listening to the Mass).

I think that there was always going to be a Civil War. From the pilgrimage of grace, onwards
>>
>>16551361
>>16551410
>>16551424
How's the weather in Tel Aviv?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.