[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ajpa24079-fig-0001-m.png (78 KB, 475x500)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
The ancestors of modern Swedes lived in Scandinavia way before the Sami.
And there were people already living in the North where the Smai setteled down.
>>
>>16543792
No?
Even in your map;
People living only in the south
>>
File: Pre-Finno-Ugric.png (28 KB, 1071x591)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>16543862
>>
Well basically they were treated very poorly, and oppression and discrimination towards them was justified by claiming they didn't belong in Sweden. They had lived in the arctic parts for thousands of years, thats proven beyond a doubt.

So a special category had to be created so they could have legal protection and to be able to claim ownership etc. It was also a way to protect their language and cultural practices(Swedes tried to eradicate their way of life & language).
>>
>>16543862
The CWC and Battle Axe subculture lived only in the southern part, the north was still inhabited by SHG remnants, who would continue to live there until they were conquered and raped by Samis. Samic languages have unique loanwords from this population.
>>
>>16543880
Sources?
When the "saamis" conquest them?
>>16543873
Proto-saami in... finland. Qowo
>>
>>16543875
But Finland to this day has not signed the treaty acknowledging the indigenous status of the Sami yet the Sami have their own little gay parliament and some special gay rights.
>>
>>16543792
It’s American braindamage.
They think the Sami are Indians so they are „native“.
Europeans are native to nowhere, according to Americans
>>
>>16544116
>>16543792
>another thread of chuds whining they aren't being called the word used to distinguish people who are being colonized from the colonizers
>>
>>16543897
>Sources?
This is general knowledge, not any specific statement by any one publication.
You can find more reading material for the topic from these general directions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Laplandic_languages
https://en.wikipeda.org/wiki/Pre-Finno-Ugric_substrate
>When the "saamis" conquest them?
"The Sámi people arrived in their current homeland some time after the beginning of the Common Era."
>>
>>16543880
Not true, Bolshoy Oleni Ostrov are 1300 BC and from the Norwegian border. They probably clined into SHG before Sámi arrival although it is anyone's guess to what extent. Sami have no SHG admix btw neither do any modern Scandinavians.
>>
>>16543792
Because normies think "indigenous" means "le ooga booga tribes living in nature"
>>
>>16544241
Sami definitely have HG admix, they are the closest population to EHG. What else would Paleo-Laplanders have been?
>>
>>16543792
They aren't, they're invaders and "colonists"
>>
>>16543875
>they didn't belong in Sweden.
They don't.
>>
>>16544286
They were either a EHG/SHG mix or more probably Bolshoy Oleni Ostrovs so a little bit more Siberian than the Sámi. Bolshoy Oleni Ostrov differed from Sámi in having very little Indo-European admixture.
>>
>>16543792
>indigenous
This is a UN defined term which does not mean "ethnic" it means "ethnic minority in the same borders as another ethnic majority".

For example the Han Chinese people are not classified as "indigenous", but some minorities in China are.
>>
>>16544126
How can they be colonised by people who were there before them?
>>
>>16544435
Danes moved to Northern Scandinavia a few centuries after Sámi. It was an empty land most likely it would be like talking about Norse colonizing Iceland. It happened but no one was colonized.
>>
>>16543792
Connecting nomadic hunter gatherer goups, like Sami, to fixed locations is trickier than with later populations. Northern scandinavia was always their 'hunting ground' even if they might have not had permanent settlements.
>>
>>16544604
Northern Scandinavia was not the "hunting ground" of Samis that lived thousands of miles east 2000 years ago
>>
>>16544617
>that lived thousands of miles east
What are you talking about? They lived in Finland 2000 years ago. They migrated to Scandinavia because of increasing pressure from Finns. We don't know for certain who they replaced in Northern Scandinavia but genetic evidence suggests it was Siberian-rich Bolshoy Oleni Ostrov.
>>
>>16544632
It occurred to me after I hit send that miles are so massively larger than kilometers that it makes the statement absurd, happens to me sometimes when speaking English
>>
>>16544640
They weren't even to the east but south. Around Tampere, Helsinki, Pori etc.
>>
>>16544643
They were both east and south, it is implied when the straight line would go into the ocean
>>
>>16544648
Moreso south. You can walk across ice so not really an obstacle.
>>
>>16544650
You are both east and north of me
>>
>>16543862
the "Starkadr" branch of the Trønder northern PIE heritage came via Finland/Bothnian Sweden and not via Scania.
>>
File: trønder.jpg (1.95 MB, 3840x5760)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>16544769
picrel
>>
>>16544126
Europeans are indigenous to Europa.
>>
Lapps are at best only indigenous to Lapland
>>
>>16544178
paleo laplandic
It's not "from the beginning of the common era" the Saami have been in Europe since the iron age
>>
>>16544839
The Iron Age ended a few centuries into the CE in most of Europe, and Finnics remained in the iron Age until like 1400
>>
>>16544839
>Saami have been in Europe since the iron age
Maybe if you think Europe begins at the Finland-Russia border. Sámi developed in Europe and have only partial Siberian admixture.
>>
>>16544849
What do Sámi have to do with Finnics again?
>>
>>16544868
They have everything to do with them, closest relatives, most relevant example to cite
>>
>>16544849
??? Semantics
>>16544856
No. We are actually siberians
>>
>>16544898
What I am saying is that you are correct but being in Europe since the Iron Age in that context does not nearly mean what you are trying to insinuate
>>
>>16544898
Sámi are a four-way mix of Baltic-Germanic-Siberian-EHG with probably some bottlenecked and drifted traces of Indo-Iranian. That's genotype anyway in terms of phenotype they actively selected against Siberian features except they couldn't select for tall stature for environmental reasons.
>>
>>16544907
>they couldn't select for tall stature for environmental reasons
???
>>
>>16544896
Finns are genetically closer to Sicilians than Sámi. Linguistically it's a three way branching, Finnic, Samic and Mordvinic. The mode of subsistence has been entirely different for thousands of years. Finns are effectively Baltified then Germanized to nearly an order of magnitude more than Sámi.
>>
>>16544917
Short stature are generally ideal for Sub-Arctic climates.
>>
File: saami distance.png (7 KB, 239x162)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>16544919
That's not exactly true, Sami are closer to Suomi than Siceli are but it's a respectable distance nonetheless. I don't really care either way, I am *þiudiskaz and in my language *finnaz means Sami originally, and was then applied to other Uralics indiscriminately. You all look same to me
>>
>>16544927
Depends on the method, Sámi are actually one of the most drifted populations and so in FST they have astronomical distances to everyone else. G25 just projects them into normal variation which lowers the distance.
>>
>>16544956
Interesting. I'm always very annoyed by people asserting Sami as the whitest people ever or some such, and in my efforts to refute this I do not care about dragging down other Uralics, which I suppose conflicts with your interests. You mentioned Samis selecting against Siberian features; what type of phenotype are you granting pure Samis then? I have seen contradicting information about whether various photos are representative or not due to the assertion that self-identified Samis are mutts, perhaps like Saami_Kola.
>>
>>16544987
Scandinavians are pretty homogenic so their brains tend to produce the exact same output kind of like ChatGPT and generally the idea that Sámi were quite recently some indigenous Siberian people who then became whitewashed over the past couple of generations is some of this ChatGPT output Scandinavians can't help but produce.
In reality they are probably almost completely unchanged not just for 2000 years but even beyond. Kola Sámi are a special case since they number in the hundreds and are now mixed.
Anyway, Sámi just look like shorter Finns with even rounder features although they do not have as much blond hair as Finnish East Baltids. If we suppose they are 20-25% Siberian or whatever on average I would say they look like they are 10-15% Siberian because of selection.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.