[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (11 KB, 300x168)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Why exactly was the Song of Solomon considered important enough to the Biblical Canon to have been included in not only Catholic/Orthodox Bibles but Protestant as well? Of all the fucking books they could've included in the core biblican canon, why a random erotic poem? Why isn't this considered Deuterocanonical or Apocrypha?
>>
>>16544239
The Church is led by the Holy Spirit, so the Holy Spirit said so.
Also its advanced spirituality. St.John of the Cross who reached the heights of the spiritual life, wrote spiritual poems in similar ways. Its about the love between the soul and God.
The same was said by the exegetes throughout time.
>>
>>16544274
>The Church is led by the Holy Spirit, so the Holy Spirit said so.
Okay but what are the practical purposes of including SoS in the Bible? What does one learn by reading it?
>>
File: Great_post_Everyone.jpg (22 KB, 500x389)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>Book of Wisdom? Maccabees? Sirach?
>Naw, this random poem about sex, now THAT is Canonical!
>>
>>16544386
Tell you what : The book is nothing if not a chronicle of Jewish failure (and as a failure of man, in general).

How many other cultures say : "We have failed, repeatedly."

It's nothing if not modest. Nothing, if not honest.
>>
>>16544239
It typologically represents Christ and the church actually.

"My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the windows, shewing himself through the lattice.
My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away."
- Song of Solomon 2:9-13
>>
>>16544274
>Its about the love between the soul and God.
>>16545808
>typologically represents Christ and the church
See, you fags can't even agree on what it's an allegory for. Is there any evidence that it was originally intended as a love song and people didn't just make up metaphor shit later?

Just because you could interpret We Found in a Hopeless Place by Rihanna as being about redemption through Christ doesn't mean it is.
>>
>>16545862
>that it was originally intended as a love song
*wasn't
>>
>>16545862
>See, you fags can't even agree on what it's an allegory for.
Do you think those things are mutually exclusive or that Song of Solomon can't be about multiple things? It's eight chapters long and one of the longest songs in the Bible (after Psalm 119 and Lamentations).
>>
>>16545808
Where else can I shoehorn Jesus into.
>A Christian favorite game.
>>
>>16544239
Solomon was nothing but a richfah who liked showing off his Lambo and fucking bitches.
>>
>>16545891
If you read Ecclesiastes you see that he was also extremely depressed and struggled to find meaning to life.
>>
File: 1694296434355198.jpg (126 KB, 430x637)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>16545884
It's very clearly a picture of Christ coming for His church.

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-57

"But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah."
- Psalm 49:15

"For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
- 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

As you can see, it all fits in with other parts of God's word.
>>
>>16545905
Yes, this is clearly all about the Israelite King.
>>
File: kjv_12.jpg (115 KB, 1500x1000)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>16545942
Song of Solomon 2:9-13 is a picture of Christ returning for the church. That's why it belongs there with the other Scriptures.
>>
>>16544239
>why a random erotic poem?
you're not getting it
>>
>>16545991
Nah, ya fool. It's about God.
>>
Most scholars agree that it was originally part of ancient Israelite Fertility Cult rituals. Its one of the oldest books in the OT, and was even found in fragments in the Dead Sea Scrolls. I don't really understand why LARPs on this board are trying this hard to recontextualize it to be about Jesus. If anything its an insult to the NT Canon
My guess as to why its included in modern Canon is simply because the early church felt the need to include some comic relief in the middle of their otherwise rather dry anthology of proverbs and law, and later churches simply left it in for the same reason.
>>
>>16546332
You are so clueless man. You probably agree with everything else that all modern scholars agree on.
>>
>>16545874
>Do you think those things are mutually exclusive or that Song of Solomon can't be about multiple things?
Oh alright, let's invent even more meanings. It's also about the love between the persons of the Trinity. And the way a righteous king cares for his people. And also how a priest lusts for a little boy. We can go all day like this, but to what end? You're just reading things into it that aren't there.
>>
>>16546433
>You're just reading things into it that aren't there.
Not true.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
- 2 Peter 1:20-21
>>
>>16546410
Can you actually prove any of them wrong? Specifically the translation of the book by Marvin H. Pope?
>>
>>16544274
>it was divine inspiration
does not preclude scrutiny, the Bible has need continuously revised for thousands of years by many scholars, that's why its a definitive work you lazy twat
>>16545874
>its about many things
Which can imply its completely open to interpretation, which means none of your answers are the "correct" one which completely misses the point. But I suspect its worse than this. I suspect you literally believe it was written with multiple meanings in mind.
>>
>>16546500
>need
*been
>>
>>16546500
>But I suspect its worse than this. I suspect you literally believe it was written with multiple meanings in mind.
Not according to 2 Peter 1:20-21.

>Which can imply its completely open to interpretation, which means none of your answers are the "correct" one which completely misses the point.
No, it literally just means that something that is eight chapters long can talk about more than one subject. The book of Genesis talks about Abraham, but if someone else mentions that it tells us about Noah, that doesn't contradict because the book of Genesis talks about both.
>>
>>16546332
>was even found in fragments in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
So were most Old Testament books?
>>
>>16546521
>Not according to 2 Peter 1:20-21.
That talks about prophecies. What does that have to do with SoS?
>>
>>16546618
>That talks about prophecies. What does that have to do with SoS?
It says,

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
- 2 Peter 1:20-21

Obviously that applies to every part of Scripture.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."
- Proverbs 30:5-6

"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God."
- Luke 4:4
>>
>>16545902
>I have a thousand wives, have a bunch of food, temples, favor with G-d, etc
>I am...le depressed
He was a moron
>>
>>16546438
>David: God told me I am his begotten son.
>Paul: Clearly David must have meant Jesus.
>David: God told me my son Solomon will be my successor and build a temple.
>Paul: This clearly means the kingdom of Jesus.
>>
>>16546747
>David:God sa..
>Paul: ITS JESUS!!!!
>>
>>16546742
Having things doesn't bring lasting satisfaction. Your brain adjusts and it becomes the new normal. It's the reason successful people are always reaching for more, because they can't remain satisfied with what they have.
>>
>>16544239
>why a random erotic poem
It's theopoetics, you retard
>>
>>16544239
To this day it's the one book of the Bible I haven't read. Maybe when I get married I might search that book so I can pierce my wife's heart with sweet words. Other than that I really don't think I will spend much time reading it.
>>
>Is right up there with Hermes Trismegistus as a legendary founder of magic.
>Allegedly cucked the kang of Ethiopia out of his ebony booty
>Drank wine like water
>Adds a fuck-sonnet about him fucking his multiple concubines into his peoples holy text.
I didn't know Jews could be sigma...
>>
>>16547018
Theopoetics is a postmodern revisionist invention. What a dumb cope
>>
>>16547025
>To this day it's the one book of the Bible I haven't read.
Its literally 3 fucking pages, its like the shortest book there
>>
File: url.jpg (613 KB, 1280x1580)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
>>16544239
Cause Solomon is revered as "The Philosopher King" par excellence, thus his works are worth preserving.
>>
>>16547127
Then why isn't the Book of Wisdom considered Canon?
>>
>>16547133
It's in my Ignatious Bible. I'm assuming you're protestant?
>>
>>16547155
Its part of the Deuterocanonical books which is considered apocrypha. Not canon, but something that some denominations include anyways
>>
your all destined for hell
https://www.ahayahtruth.com/
>>
>>16544239
Literally because the church is dumb and horny. There is no portrayal of intimate love in the bible other than this. A Christian without this would presume we live in an intimacy free world. Physical bad. Otherwise it's just because the name Solomon is on it ,(that's why Jews kept it) despite the fact that it's obviously not about king Solomon. It's the confluence of these factors (it's got the name and we long we long for real physical love) that makes it stand the test of time. Without this book sex would be unilaterally evil.
>>
>>16544239
It’s an allegorical interpretation, where it’s seen as a representation of the love between God and his people, or between Christ and the church. Additionally, it highlights the beauty of love and relationships, which are important themes in Christian teachings. The Song of Songs is a hymn used by people for centuries to celebrate human love at wedding feasts. The theme is symbolic of God's love for His faithful people and their reciprocal love. Christians have tended to emphasize the allegorical interpretation of Christ's love for His Bride, the Church.
>>
File: 1681362525708514.jpg (250 KB, 936x613)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>16545808
>It typologically represents Christ and the church actually.
Other way around
>>
>>16544239

I like it being there.

It is good because marriage is a sacrament. It is good to show the goodness of a union between a man and his wife. Some get the notion sex is bad, and thinking of sex is bad. It is good here to show sex is fine, heterosexual sex, and the guidlines for moral consummation.
>>
>>16547692
Judaism is a middle ages gnostic cult based on the Babylonian Talmud though, it isn't even part of the Bible.
>>
>>16547791
So jews didn't kill christ?
>>
>>16547806
The Biblical Jews had a hand in it, especially their leaders who were behind the plot. However, we are all responsible for the crucifixion in the sense that we have sinned, which means Christ really went to the cross for every single person's sins, past, present and future.

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
- John 1:29

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."
- Colossians 2:13-15

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."
- 1 Timothy 1:15
>>
The Old Testanent canon of 39 books came from the Jews who categorize Song of Songs as one of five distinguished scrolls of scripture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Megillot
>>
File: 9k=(3).jpg (42 KB, 600x900)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>Your two breasts are like two fawns,
>twins of a gazelle,
>that feed among the lilies.
So... it's about Jesus ogling the church's titties?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.