[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jackson.jpg (90 KB, 640x876)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>elected by the people for the people three times in a row
He really does not get enough credit.
>>
>>16553040
This picture of ol' Andy always put me off
>>
Go to bed steve nobody cares about you anymore
>>
>>16553049
Makes me sad desu. He was worn down by fighting Biddle and the whole international finance system.
>>
>>16553040
1824 was such a crock of shit it's insane. I'm generally pro-Electoral College, but the way the EC handles tied elections is totally retarded.
>>
>>16553049
That's just how people aged back then. He doesn't look any worse than Lincoln or any number of Russian WW2 veterans.
>>
>>16553049
He didn't look bad for a man in his 70s who had been shot and slashed with swords multiple times, had old bullets lodged in his body, and had no access to modern health care. Also he lived most of his life in the South which was a relatively unhealthful environment with a lot of diseases and parasites.
>>
>>16553040
Nor does he get enough credit for being well dressed.
>>
>>16553333
The Whigs thought they could pull that stunt again in 1836 but it didn't work.
>>
Jackson's death was believed to be precipitated by his meeting with James Polk in early 1845 when the president-elect made it clear that he was his own man and wasn't going to simply obey Jackson's orders.
>>
>>16553049
I read that he hated it because he said it made him look like a monkey.
>>
>The former president was not happy about the election of William Henry Harrison as he took the latter to be a closeted Federalist and the Whigs to simply be the Federalists resurrected, a belief not helped by how Harrison adopted the black cockade, a traditional Federalist image, as his symbol, and the fact that he had been old enough to vote back when the Federalists were relevant as a party.

>In this Jackson was a bit mistaken; although it was true that the Whig Party encompassed most former Federalists, it also contained numerous dissident Democrats who broke with him for a variety of reasons. The aging Jackson in some ways was becoming disconnected from the changing times; his war against centralized banking overlooked its necessity to a stable economy and he did not fully appreciate that the West by the 1840s was no longer the frontier society of his youth, it was becoming urbanized and industrialized.
>>
>>16553481
The hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
>>
>>16554022
>>16553481
>becoming urbanized le good
It's hard to accept, but the barbarians were right it seems.
>>
>>16553432
There have been other people who thought they could pull something like it off, but failed. George Wallace never actually wanted to be President, he just wanted to deadlock the EC.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.