[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What modern European group are Scythians most related to?

Also does anybody have that art of a tocharian/Scythian man surrounded by his harem of Asian girls? Thanks, I think it came from Twitter artist or something
>>
Are there any good stories of travelers among the Scythians? Would like to know more about them.
>>
>>16553671
Afaik most of what we know in terms of foreign sources comes from Histories by Herodotus.

Can somebody post that art? Help a brother out
>>
>>16553667
>What modern European group are Scythians most related to?
Hungarians and Ukranians
>>
>>16553813
What a letdown.
>>
>>16553667
Irish travelers
>>
>>16553837
I agree, please find and post the picture described in the OP
>>
File: 1713289327960984.jpg (550 KB, 2250x1654)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>16553667
None
>>
Indian economic refugees and their families scattered across the major capital cities across Europe.

Pakistanis living in Bradford and Birmingham, UK
>>
>>16553884
>>16553903
For the love of god I do not care, please just post the picture I asked for
>>
>>16553862
I don't have it thoughever
>>
>>16553942
>thoughever
Gas chamber, now.
>>
Ossetians.
>>
>>16553944
They aren't legal where I live THOUGH
>>
>>16553667
Ossetians, everything else total euro cope
>>
>>16553884
europebros?
>>
>>16553667
in general, the Eastern Slavs and Balts, but the Scythians were not literally someone from the modern populations, they were basal northern Europeans.
>>
>>16553947
>>16553989
They have a Sarmatian language, but genetically they are predominantly Kartvelians.
>>
>>16553702
Hippocrates (or one of his anonymous protégés from his school at Kos more likely) also wrote a stunning anthropological examination of Scythians and their customs.
>>
>>16554695
That's Proto-Indo-Iranians which are far from Scythians, Scythians have Siberian and BMAC admixture, they are much closer to modern East Iranians than Europeans
>>
>>16554698
OP asked which European group is most related to the Scythians. Genetically, it's noone except through absurd leaps of logic that don't realy point to a single group. Thus, we must look at other factors in what determines an ethnos. Culturally, linguistically, and religiously, it's the Ossetians.
>>
>>16554721
Yaghnobis are much more legit than Ossetians.
>>
>>16554704
Tasmola is literally Sakas.
>>16554721
Ossetians, Tajiks and Pashtuns, from the point of view of direct heritage.
>>
>>16554695
0.6 LOL
they were very mixed with bmac and siberian, you Lost
>>
File: 1608457294349.png (158 KB, 912x1024)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>16553667
albertan niggas bitch
>live in the cold forest steppe
>mainly made out of yamnaya-descended gigachads from Anglo-Mormons to Hohols to Sikhs

The Spirit in the Sky guides us by his winds
>t. albertan
>>
>>16555143
there was less EEF and more Yamnaya.
>>
>>16555372
0.5 and more than that, are not similar populations.
this guy said something right>>16554721
>>16554704
>>
>>16555395
they are still pure northern euro.
>>
>>16555409
No. They are not.
Siberian and bmac mixed is not "northern Europeans pure".

Ps: they had dark features, BTW
>>
I don’t get why /his/torians jerk off the Scythians so much, literally one of the most overrated groups of people ever just another set of tribes that fucked about on the steppe I’m sure that wasn’t done by a million other groups before and after them.
>>
Russian Tatars.
>>
>>16553667
>which Europeans are these Indo-Iranians related to
Unironically the gypsies. They are the only Aryan (i.e. Indo-Iranian) group in Europe.

I assume you mean linguistically related because that actually matters. Culturally and ethnically I would guess there's some overlap with very early Slavs, but probably more so with (Cauc)Asian Indo-Europeans like Armenians and Tocharians.
>>
File: aryanchariot.jpg (111 KB, 500x559)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>16555465
forgot pic
>>
>>16553667
>>16553813
>What modern European group are Scythians most related to?
Probably Poland as well.
>>
File: 1242623753566755647923.jpg (172 KB, 960x794)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>16555468
HELL THE FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHH
THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME BRO
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

LOOK AT THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS
ZERO FUCKING FEAR
YOU KNOW THEY FUCKING BALLING YOU JUST KNOW THAT SHIT BIG MAN
>>
>>16554721
>>16555465
There is no conclusive evidence on what language (or even languages) Scythians spoke.

>>16555428
>Tatars
This is the only acceptable answer in this thread.
>>
>>16555523
Eastern Iranian languages, we literally have modern speakers in the form of Ossetians.
>>
>>16555533
Ossetians speak the language of Alans who were NOT Scythian. They were a Sarmatian group.
>>
>>16555570
Scythians, Sarmatians, Cimmerians, literally all of them are R1a people and direct descendants of Andronovo, none of them were roaches.
>>
>>16555621
Ossetians are genetically indistinguishable from Georgians and native Caucasians. They are not an "R1a people". According to your logic, Ossetians are not Scythian then. Congrats, you fucked yourself. Extreme haplotard dimwit moment.

I repeat: There is absolutely no evidence on what language Scythians spoke. This matter is even more obscure for Cimmerians. None of their languages are attested.

Andronovo is an archaeological horizon, not a people or language.
>>
>>16553667
The northern Japanese:
>>
>>16555748
And this:
>>
>>16555694
What?
I already wrote above that the original Scythians were Andronovo, and Andronovo = basal Nordic.
Ossetians are cultural and linguistic descendants of the Sarmatians. There is not much genetic contribution.
>>
>>16555758
Andronovo were not a "people"...
>>
>>16555770
their archaeological horizon is also genetical.
>>
>>16555777
How does this prove they were a "people"? and do you realize that they have a very high distance from any European? 0.6
>>
>>16555799
>How does this prove they were a "people"?
homogeneity of genetics, economics, everyday life, anthropology, cultural, religious and linguistic contributions.
>and do you realize that they have a very high distance from any European?
they were slightly different.
however, Northern Europeans are their closest relatives.
>>
>>16555809
>homogeneity of genetics, economics, everyday life, anthropology, cultural, religious and linguistic contributions.
How did you infer all of these from some calculated DNA numbers? Holy shit, take your meds.
>>
>>16555811
cope.
The penetration of Andronovo genetics into Western and Southern Asia is associated with the spread of Indo-iranian languages and culture.
>>
>>16553837
Why is it a letdown?
>>
>>16555816
>yet another fucking retard equating language, genetics, and culture
Next!
>>
>>16555825
To be honest, I think that genetics and blood relationships are much more important than language and culture.
>>
>>16555816
How?>>16555809
>>
>>16555890
what how?
>>
>>16555884
If that were true, Romanians and Hungarians would be passionate Slavs and Estonians, passionate Balts, South Italians, passionate Greeks, and so on, but they ain't.
>>
>>16555896
Estonians are Balts with a small Finnish admixture, Hungarians are Slavs, and Romanians are southern Slavs.
genetically this is true.
Italians and Greeks are very different, by the way.
>>
>>16553667
I believe they were proto-Slavs.

Western sources talk about most of Eastern Europe being a 'Scythian' land, then they disappear from sources when Goths and other Germanics start colonizing the steppe region. Then, suddenly, Western sources start talking about this 'new' group called Slavs, who are suddenly everywhere.

I think what happened was that the Scythians never went away, they remained on the Steppes (sometimes ruled over by colonizing Goths and others). Later, some of them were pushed West by invading Huns and Turks, becoming the ancestors of modern West-Slavs and South Slavs.
>>
>>16555908
Yes, this is why it's not true that genetics trump culture or language. No Hungarian will identify as West Slav and none of the West Slavs will accept Hungarians as one of them. Because of the language.
>>
>>16555957
Explain language then
>>
>>16555957
if we can find some Scythian admixture in Europe, we will certainly find it among the Eastern Slavs and Kazan Tatars.
>>
>>16555425
They were the very first steppe assholes in recorded history.
>Cimmerians
They don't count.
>>
>>16556314
>They don't count.
Why?
>>
>>16553667
Hungarians
>A genetic study published in PLOS One in October 2018 examined the mtDNA of individuals from 10th-century graves associated with the Hungarian conquerors of the Basin. The majority of their maternal lineages were traced back to the Potapovka, Srubnaya and Poltavka cultures of the Pontic–Caspian steppe, while one-third of their maternal lineages could be traced back to Inner Asia, probably being derived from Asian Scythians and the Xiongnu (Asian Huns).
>The historical Magyar genome corresponds largely with the modern Bashkirs, and can be modeled as ~50% Khanty/Mansi-like, ~35% Sarmatian-like, and ~15% Hun/Xiongnu-like. The admixture event is suggested to have taken place in the Southern Ural region at 643–431 BCE. Modern Hungarians were found to be admixed descendants of the historical Magyar conquerors with local Europeans, as 31 Hungarian samples could be modelled as two-way admixtures of "Conq_Asia_Core" and "EU_Core" in varying degrees. The historical Magyar component among modern Hungarians is estimated at an average frequency of 13%, which can be explained by the relative smaller population size of Magyar conquerors compared to local European groups
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmJO2St8fA
>>
They were northern Europeans? Or Hungrians? Or even hapas???
>>
>>16555428
This
>>
>>16556454
Alright can fucking /his/ finally explain to me why Hungarians always post they are gigascythians yet the rest of the world doesn't even seem to acknowledge this? What's going on here?
>>
>>16556585
Yes :)
>>
>>16553667
Scandinavians and Germans
>>
>>16556166
We don't know what language Scythians spoke (they had no writing, we don't have any credible source for Scythian names or words), it could have been some proto-Slavic.

Mainly, I find it hard to believe the commonly accepted theory of the origin of Slavic speaking people, that they all just lived in some valley in Eastern Poland/Belarus, did fuck all for millennia, than suddenly left, and their population was so massive that they in 1-2 centuries they could populate huge areas of the Eastern European steppes AND the Danube valley, AND most of the Balkans.

It's more likely that Slavic speaking people were native to some of theese regions. We know that the natives to the Balkans and the Daunbe valley (Illyrians etc.) weren't Slavic, so that leaves the steppes of modern Ukraine/Russia, I think Slavic speaking people were natives there, and they may have been called Scythians by the Greeks and Romans.
>>
>>16555570
They were. The Sarmatians in itself split of from the Scythians
>>
Always funny how euros and burgers make fun of blacks for claiming egypt but then go full on LARP mode with Scythians and other iranic groups.
>>
>>16557475
ignorance: the post
>>
>>16557486
copium: the post
>>
>>16557475
That’s just northern wiggers. They also wuz Roman Emperors, Pharaohs (they were red haired), Ancient Greeks, and others.
>>
>>16557475
>>16557495
>>16557496
west scythians were genetically completely different and indo-european, ancients just used scythian as an umbrella term for all these equestrian nomadic tribes that spanned all over eurasia+iran outside of their civilizations, its not even controversial.
i see so many fags like you trying to do some epic reversal of "whites are the real we wuzzers" simply out of ignorance
>>
>>16557475
>Always funny how euros and burgers make fun of blacks for claiming egypt but then go full on LARP mode with Scythians and other iranic groups.

We Wuz Horse-Riding Barbarians
>>
>>16557475
>these people discussing genetic studies are basically the same as blacks claiming cleopatra was an african american twerk kween, they are live action roleplaying
>>
>>16557527
Scythians still did fuck all idk why that’s your larp of choice so many better options that are less autistic.
>>
>>16557546
Agreed, but they were still white
>>
I don't know much about the genetics desu. Don't care either. Y'all niggas should post more art. Reconstructions or more original artwork like OP suggested.

We know there was some influence on Slavs and Hungarians in culture and folklore. And the Goths in their prescious metal artifacts, later the Norse oddly enough in art were influenced from Scythians or Sarmatians. I only know of this because I've taken an interest in Scythian art for years (have a bit of the tism). The Scythians had a very distinct style, out of seemingly nowhere it starts to show up in parts of other cultures on little objects here and there.

From what I understand there was no genetic influence in these artistic changes in some populations. Again, doesn't matter to me. It's simply more soulful than yer fancy photo-realistic Roman statue or whatnot, the patterns and meaning are more profound to my bar-bar mind.

Pic rel. They were one of the few cultures or subcultures that had non-cringe tattoos. It was a matter of being in their warrior culture on the dominance hierarchy somehow to have this type of expressive tattooing.
>>
>>16557548
I'd imagine they made more than a few supreme gentlemen in their hayday. Lord knows I would have.
>>
>>16557548
>Agreed, but they were still white

so are the Irish
>>
>>16557592
They did, these were called the White Huns, who spoke an Iranian tongue but were from largely Turkic mothers
>>16557593
Yeah i know, another white group that did fuck all would be the Bulgarians or Bosnians, achievement doesnt equal whiteness and if that were the case, only the low countries, France, Germany and England would be white
>>
>>16557602
>only the low countries, France, Germany and England would be white
based
>>
>>16557602
>only the low countries, France, Germany and England would be white

but that's right. in fact that's still too broad:
>Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionally very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth.
t. Benjamin Franklin
>>
>>16557621
Based Ben had a good point.
>>
>>16557546
why is it a "larp" and why do you care so much?
>>
>>16557539
as others have already said >>16555896 >>16556141
also even in the genetics department you larptards get btfo. You will never be Scythian, Aryan, Sintashta, Andronovo etc. you are the same as those african nationalist in america or roaches in turkey who claim half of the world as theirs.
>>
>>16555758
Unironically the Helsings are the closest combined cultural and genetic descendants of the Scythians.
This comprises Alvheim, Helsinki, Helsingborg.
Helsing was among those that lost to Halfdan the Black, and in turn, lost Norway/the north to the Danes and his son Harald Fairhair.
Icelanders look more Scythian not only because they have scottish heritage, but because they were more closely related to Alvheim (The homeland of Skadi) than the Danes.
Tryssil, which is the modern upriver highlands of Alvheim, is where Skiing originates and has 2 ski-staffs in it's symbology.
Scandinavia is named after a Scythian hunter princess, and the SCANDINAVIAN branch of haplogroup Q coincides in area with where her steppe sons settled to this day. "Elves" means "riverpeople", but it goes all the way back to when the icecap bridge (Bifrost) connected the north sea with northeastern americas during winter.
Scandinavia has Q, northeastern americas has mounds and r1b. Scandinavia has Asgard, and northeastern americas IS referred to as Aztlan by those who fled south away from the great flood that we know for a fact messed with the climate of the globe.
The inhabitants of the northern atlantic spread away from Aztlan/Asgard, and moved back in due to mythologic heritage afterwards.
It's all right there, and we'll probably not live to see this acknowledged as fact due to how the religious and political mafia becomes irrelevant due to it.
systemic power cannot tolerate outside truths to exist in contradiction to their canon,- even when it technically is the ancestor of that very system.
>>
>>16559586
if we ONLY tested scandinavian Q individuals as a unified group, I'd be intrigued to see the result.
Of course my hypothesis inherently has a founder-effect in it, meaning that the first few generations after scythian influx would have it's genetics mixed and jumbled heavily with the native scandis, likely washing out un-selected steppe traits.
>>
>>16555523
We do when it comes to the eastern scythians. Idk about the pontic ones. But they are generally thought to be related.
>>
>>16559586
>>16559588
This can all be tied together nicely through the Vikings seeing Ask and Embla being Adam and Eve, with the hebrew explanation of the names agreeing with the norse,- Adam being a ruddy Ash tree and Eve being a dawny Elm tree (hence the 2 trees of Tolkien).
Gandalf (the king of Alvheim) is identical in name meaning and etymology with Gamaliel,- the legal guardian of the apostles.
Either Israel shares naming concentions with the Vikings THROUGH the scythian connection of the Hyksos,- OR the king of Alvheim is a direct descedant of someone that fled roman persecution into the "ancestral homeland" of their namesake,- where they eventually found themselves in Scandinavia due to the trade routes with Kiev/Goths.
simplified hypothesis;
Early fleeing christians saw themselves in crimean Goths, and asked them for guidance on where to settle, while also introducing them to Christianity.
Because of this early connection with the christian Goths, Yngvie-Freyr also found his wife among early christian chieftains of Isle of Man/Manx,- marrying Gerdr in the Hebridees.
tldr;
Gandalf is native to Alfheim, and Gamaliel was a true follower of the Elohim. This sentence enrages kid diddlers of Rome.
>>
>>16559586
1) the Scandinavian line Q most likely does not have a specific Scythian origin
2) the Scythians were mostly R1a z93
3) America never had R1, much less R1b, before European colonization.
>>
>>16559658
>never had R1
That's not only ignorant, but laughably so.
Would you count the first viking settlers as natives then, I wonder?
And about Scandinavian Q,- I've already pointed out it's likely origin.
>>16559645
European Q is found among Ashkenazi Jews and Swedes. The inescapable similarities of their names and mythology means that any surface level dismissal of their common origin is actively idiotic.
>>
>>16553667
1. Scythians would be most related to Persians today. Maybe there's some hyperspecific sub ethnicity they match closest to among Indo-Aryans but generally Scythians are closer to the Indo-Aryan branch than the European.
2. Tocharians are fairly seperate from Scythians l. Tocharians are form the European branch not the Aryan branch, they migrated from Russia after the split happened. While Tocharians and Scythians were both Asian nomads, linguistically and ethnically they were as different as Germans and Pashtuns.
>>
>>16553813
Literally pulled out of your ass. Hungarians aren't even Indo-European they're Finno-Ugriac and migrated much later. Ukrainians are Slavic and from the European branch of Indo-Europeans and Scythians were Iranians from the Indo-Aryan branch. Could not be more wrong buddy especially with the Hungarian one.
>>
>>16559674
>Would you count the first viking settlers as natives then, I wonder?
The Scandinavians sailed to Greenland, were able to establish settlements, but in the end they could not cope with the climate and died out, there is scientific evidence about this. but they never reached America, there is no evidence.
R1b sailed from Europe and killed literally all the Q, but after Columbus's expedition.
>>
>>16559681
The Tocharians are probably just another branch of the Scythians, although some identify them with the earlier expansion of the Yamnaya culture, and not with the Aryan invasion.
It is unlikely that anyone could historically document the migration of the Yamnaya people; this is a very ancient event.
they are contemporary with the Sumerians.
>>
>>16559685
First of all "Finno-Ugrians" is not a thing. Finno-Ugric is a linguistic term, and it's outdated, modern linguists consider Finnic and Ugric equal groupings on the top level, within the Uralic family. Even then, it's only describing the language, not the people. Even the elite cohort of the conquering Hungarians were <30% Uralic, and the commoners had barely any Uralic ancestry. You're just another 20 IQ retard who thinks language = genetics.
>>
File: iron age world..png (460 KB, 1287x3917)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
>>16553667
None. Scythians were 70-75% Aryans, while modern Europeans are half farmer mulattoes at best
>>
>>16559689
>there is no evidence.
yeah, other than the actual houses you can visit and written norse sources describing the leathery appearance of native americans.
Reminder that the americas was "discovered" only after the norman knights had spread their history down south and lost their definitive norseness.
There's also a very well established presence of norwegian housemice on the azores BEFORE iberian expansion.
They very likely died during the volcanic winters of 536 which originated from a mesoamerican volcano erupting ash towards europe, which would hit the azores and canaries harshest.
Surely you won't keep on trolling?
(who am I kidding)
>>
>>16559710
Even Sintashta were only 2/3 IE
Scythian fembois were only half because Balkans, Caucasus, Mongolia etc
Sarmatian Chads were mixed with Yamnaya so they had higher Steppe like 60%
>>
>>16559713
>yeah, other than the actual houses you can visit and written norse sources describing the leathery appearance of native americans.
Source?
>>
>>16553667
Does anybody know who made that pic?
>>
File: Hop in NF aka Helluland.jpg (223 KB, 1280x720)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>16559720
„Þeir fundo þar manna vister bæþi austr oc vestr á landi. oc kæipla brot oc steinsmiþi þat es af þvi má scilia at þar hafþi þess conar þióþ farit es Vinland hefir bygt oc Grœnlenndingar calla Scræliŋa. [1]“
and
„Þeir váru svartir menn ok illiligir ok höfðu illt hár á höfði. Þeir váru mjök eygðir ok breiðir í kinnum. [3]“
You don't deserve getting it translated.
>>
>>16559777
This is not a scientific source.
you're free, moron.
>>
>>16559804
http://viking.archeurope.com/settlement/vinland/lanse-aux-meadows/
such a low effort troll
>>
>>16559810
this is Newfoundland, not continental America strictly speaking, and besides, they did not have any genetic, cultural, or technological influence on the Amerindians.
>>
File: 7000BC.jpg (1.18 MB, 1256x1520)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>16559819
>Q-L54 has descendants across Western and Central Europe, the North and East of Asia, and the Americas. It includes two of the major pre-Columbian paternal lineages in the Americas: Q-M3 and Q-M971. The boy Anzick-1, who lived 12,600 years ago and was found in the state of Montana, has a Y-chromosome that refers to haplogroup Q-M971 (Q-L54*(xM3)).[1][2][3] Q-L54 descendant lines also include two Eurasian paternal lineages, the Central Asian Q-L330 lineage and the Scandinavian Q-L804.[3] Q-L330 is also found in some men with Romaniote Jewish paternal lines from Greece. Q-L804 is Scandinavian and the TMRCA is just over 3000 years.[4] Haplogroup Q‐L54 is dominant in two North Siberian populations, the Kets and Selkups, with frequencies of 97.7% and 66.7%, respectively.[5]

I don't expect a serious response from you. Just thought it would be interesting for you to see for yourself that the only traditions to worship the Elohim/Alvheim natively in europe, share a haplogroup with eachother that only they do as europeans.
I'm not saying that this is conclusive of any of my previous points at all, just that it's funny that there exist any haplogroup at all connecting the americas with norse and jews, but none other europeans at a group level.
picrel nearly irrelevant, just shows how the region looked when it could have theoretically been inhabited at higher Q-levels than currently, if it's a native european branch.
>>
>>16559719
>Even Sintashta
Not "even", sintashta were from central asia. Aryans who stayed in eastern europe were 70-75% steppe

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.