[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240505_230159.jpg (220 KB, 1280x1280)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Why does God force those who do not want to live?
>>
it would help if you finish reading the book of Job instead of cherrypicking out of context
>>
>>16591677
It doesn't answer this question thoughever
>>
>>16591744
The only real answer to any question that starts with "Why does God" is: we don't know.
>>
>>16591677
>you must use full context here but whenever I like I can say this is symbolism/metaphorical etc
lol
>>
>>16591677
I finished the book of Job. It ends like this:
>God: Haha, just a prank bro. I killed your family but now I allow you to have a new family. You see this, Satan? I won the bet!
>>
>>16592171
Based God
>>
>>16592171
How can this be considered the same god as the god in the new testiment? Making bets with the devil?
>>
>>16592772
Satan in this story isn't the devil. In general the notion of Satan has been overloaded with so many mythological crap from different cultures that it's often hard to distinguish. Also the book of Job is kinda special. It doesn't fit neither into the old nor the new testament. The basic story is much older than the old testament, and the prologue about the bet was added much later.
>>
>>16592821
>Satan in this story isn't the devil.
Those words mean the same thing. It says ha-satan in the hebrew bible and is translated as diabolos in the septuagint. You can't pretend that the devil in the new testament wasn't written as the same character as this.
>>
>>16592171
He did in fact win, considering how you are seething so hard.
>>
>>16592171
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? Declare, if thou hast understanding.
>>
>>16593094
Got it, might makes right.
>>
>>16593099
You got that twisted around in that lil reptile brain of yours: right IS might; the greatest source of morality is the most unassailably puissant entity there is, which is why the Devil consistently embarrasses himself in foolish wagers and disposable ignorant pawns such as yourself.
>>
>>16593113
You're a foolish pawn of a desert tribe's war god who uses the devil to depict himself as good
>>
>>16592144
that would be the answer if the whole story was made up by not too intelligent shepherds.
>>
>>16593036
woah... owned
>>
>>16591668
The entire book of Job is just an elaborate fairy tale made so that people shut the fuck up and stop complaining and questioning the existence of God.
>>
>>16593125
You're thinking of the gospels, the old testament was written by the elite in Babylon
>>
>>16593137
>elite
still not too intelligent.
>>
>>16593132
This. Thread closed, finished, over, suspended, canceled, reached its telos, had its apocalypse, achieved apotheosis.
>>
>>16593119
>le semitic desert demon
your sky daddy posting is embarrassing son

>>16593132
>just an elaborate fairy tale
In point of fact, it's very explicitly a Hellenistic morality play, of the philosophical bent very common during the period between about 450-250 BC, which would make a lot of sense owing to the contact between the Greek world and the Levant at that time. Job probably has the latest composition of any Old Testament book except 1 and 2 Maccabees.
>>
>>16593154
Why do you deny that Yahweh is a war god?
>>
>>16593161
I think it shows a lack of respect to deny it imo
>>
>>16593036
When you read Ezekiel you see that God considers Job, Daniel and Noah 3 of the most righteous men who ever lived. Perhaps even the most righteous ones. Imagine the crown that will be put on Job's head in the day of judgement, you could probably see the sinning of its colorful splendor from a few miles away. And the glory and kingdom and the paradise that will be given to him. There is not a righteous man who gets saved on judgement day who will not go bow down and pay homage to Job.
>>
File: yeah, way.png (71 KB, 1312x251)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>16593161
At this point, the only thing phony baloney midwit "historians" haven't done is accuse Yahweh of Euhemerism, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got around to that before the year's over.
>>
>>16593189
You ever thought that the character Job was put in the book because he was known as righteous?
>>
>>16593161
He is not a war God, he is the God who commands all the armies of heaven. A single soldier of God once descended on an Assyrian camp and killed 185,000 soldiers in one night. And he has trillions of legions of them under his command. They all move as one, as if they all had a single mind, in perfect harmony and unison.
>>
>>16593198
Many have been righteous, he is in the top 3.
>>
>>16593193
>People arguing that Yahweh is different things are a monolithic entity
>Yahweh being a storm god, a war god, a smith god and a mountain god is mutually exclusive
>Confusing Jesus' association with Dionysus with identifying Yahweh as Dionysus
You're the midwit with your pathetic rhetoric
>>
>>16593189
So in a jewish context does righteousness just mean submission to Yahweh?
>>
>>16593154
>which would make a lot of sense owing to the contact between the Greek world and the Levant at that time.
The fact that we find greek names such as "Jason" on biblical characters proves this even more, it's incredible how much the bible was influenced by the culture and the ideology of the people of the time, it's like as if it wasn't so much divinely inspired after all...
>>
>>16593215
Doing what is right in his eyes. Fearing God enough to never dare do any evil or injustice in his sight, no matter how much you can benefit from it. And even when your life is turn upside own you still not curse him or hate him and still retain your integrity before him.
>>
>>16593213
The Greeks thought the God of the Jews was Dionysus like 300 years before Christ. At least some did; others thought he was Ouranos (Not Kronos/Saturn like some Romans thought), still others thought Proteus, etc. The point is never to take the opinions of chauvinist polytheists who can't comprehend the notion of an all-powerful singular god and who really don't care about other country's opinions at face value. You wouldn't expect an Ugly American Tourist to give a fair shake to Shintoism or native Igbo religion after all, would you?
>>
>>16593229
>writing in multiple languages means a scripture can't be divinely inspired
Are you Muslim, perchance? Because this is the exact argument they make to prove the Bible is corrupted and the Quran is the pure unaltered word of Allah (who speaks Arabic and only Arabic since before the universe was created)
>>
>>16593236
We're not taking the opinions of chauvinist polytheists though, we're taking the opinions of archaeologists and other academics who tell us the likely origins of Yahweh and his place in the canaanite pantheon. But you don't even need to do that to know he's a war god, you can just read his scripture.
>>
>>16593236
There is some opinions in academia that certain things associated with Jesus derived from Dionysus cults, that's pretty different from ancient greeks just deciding Yahweh is the same as Dionysus.
>>
>>16593251
I didn't say that, i never spoke about languages nor i have said the word "language" in the post.
I am not arguing about language but about culture, what i want to say is that don't you think it's a little bit weird and suspicious that the bible (as every other religious text) contains only the point of view of the people who have written it? Along with their limited knowledge of the world? I have never seen the american continent mentioned in the bible, maybe it's because it wasn't discovered yet? Surely an all knowing God would have described the world in its full entirety instead of limiting itself to what religious people exclusively knew at the time.
The fact that God and all the prophets seem to have the same limited knowledge proves that all religions are a farce invented for humans, written by humans and to control humans.
>>
>>16593280
You're conflating the overzealous biblical inerrancy theology that crazy evangelicals do with the ordinary concept of divine inspiration. To many christians, the bible is mainly a tool used for to know the appropriate teachings of god and some history of his true religion on earth. They don't claim it's proof of their religion.
>>
>>16593193
What a retarded and pretentious image
>>
>>16593501
>NOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN ANYTHING BUT THE BIBLE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>GRRRRRRR I'M SO MAD AT THESE CHRISTCHUDS I'M GONNA RAPE A KID AND IT'S ALL YOUR CHUD GODS FAULT NOT MINE IT'S NEVER MY FAULT I'M ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>16594872
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>16592821
>a-actually it's a different character to the devil in revelation because it just is okay something about mythology
You got to love it when christians pretend to be all academic and nonreligious to explain errors in their scripture

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.