[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pennsylvania.gif (648 KB, 1600x1132)
648 KB
648 KB GIF
Historically, when did Pennsylvania de-Appalachify? It seems the state went from a Scots-Irish, English and German Anabaptist state that essentially functioned as the Appalachian-Upland South heimat via the Great Wagon Road but today it seems 19th century Slavic, Italian, Irish (Catholic) immigrants and increasing economic connections to the New York-New Jersey-New England corridor irreparably changed its culture.

Its interesting to me, as someone from Eastern Kentucky, because there are still vestigial remnants of Appalachian culture there, some of the much older people in western Pennsylvania and parts of south-central Pennsylvania even sound vaguely southern Appalachian in their accent, but it seems like we unfortunately lost what could have been a cherished sister-state in the Kentucky-West/western Virginia duo to encroaching hordes of eurangatans and yankees.

So when did this cultural shift happen in Pennsylvanian history?
>>
>>16775647
>19th century Slavic, Italian, Irish (Catholic) immigrants

I think you answered your own question.
>>
>>16775647
>>16775762
Yes the immigration age occurred in the late 1800s, displacing original settlers. They arrived in Ellis island and spread out to nearby areas from there over the following decades. But there are still populations of original settlers in rural areas, for example the Amish / Pennsylvania "dutch".
>>
>>16775762
I wonder why the arriving immigrants didn't adopt Appalachian culture, though, and instead replaced it with some broad euromutt northeastern culture.

>>16775868
Yeah but it seems the Scots-Irish/English/non-Amish Germans died out for the most part, though got preserved in West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky.
>>
What's Somerset like

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.