[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
You begin to realise the evidence surrounding the topic of palaeontology and its claimants hold up to no serious scrutiny.

The fossil record, collected partial skeletons, and number of forgeries, the historicity of this particular movement is shrouded in appeal to authority.

I am not even denying dinosaurs existed. I am denying that the evidence holds up.

Seriously, is this topic too taboo? Science has become a God.
>>
>>16800446

Give some specific examples. Contextualize your complaint a little bit more.
>>
>>16800446
>big lizards are probably made up
True. Unrelated question btw: do you believe snakes can talk?
>>
>>16800446
You are partially right but for reasons likely different from what you think. Fossil records always represent a small fraction of fauna, since fossils form under very rare conditions. Bones usually decompose after a while, especially in forest soil where 90+ percent of animals live.

This means that we will never have records of most extinct animals. Plus fossils don't preserve soft tissue so we cannot accurately tell what animals really looked like. We wouldn't know that elephants had trunks based on just their bones.

Any serious paleonthologist will tell you that most of what popular science tells you about ancient fauna is speculation. But channels like Discovery are mainly for entertainment and you cannot have a successful show where scientists just talk about finding a piece of a jawbone that looks similar to a more complete skeleton found earlier so they think it might be from a separate but related species etc.
>>
>>16800446
>science has become God
What is the issue with this topic? People discuss religion so much here that they must love it!
>>
>>16800480
>fossils don't preserve soft tissue

Except they found soft tissue in dinosaur fossils.

That should be completely impossible if they are really 65 million years old.
>>
>>16800446
No you don't.
>>
>>16800501
its pretty much religious larper projection and them trying to say their retarded understanding of science means commonly accepted thing is false, mostly if said thing makes their religious narrative hard to justify
>>
>>16800446
>I am not even denying dinosaurs existed. I am denying that the evidence holds up.
Stop being a disingenuous coward, just say "Dinosaurs not real because Bible says so", you're not fooling anyone
>>
>>16800735
>It's impossible
>also I refuse to see explainations on how it's possible
Yeah
>>
File: IMG_1989.jpg (758 KB, 1290x1773)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>16800446
Geologist/volunteer paleontology field crew here

Just because you’re too stupid to understand it doesn’t mean it’s fake. If you were smart enough to understand it, you would make specific criticisms instead of that vague, dishonest abortion of a post
>>
>>16800735
What if I told you... the "impossible"... was really "possible?"
>>
>ONLY I RELIGIOUS PERSON CAN MAKE SHIT UP
oh please
>>
>>16800446
>Seriously, is this topic too taboo? Science has become a God.
it's not "science" you dumb stupid spiritual jew, science is poor, is their capitalist owners that corrupt it, not the wagie slave scientists
I swear you have your POV extremely brainletted, your kind always see the puppet, but never the puppet masters, subhumans
>>
>>16801065
* science is pure
>>
>>16800446
waht about this doesnt hold up to serious scrutiny?
>>
>>16801160
It's not mentioned in the Bible
>>
File: 1719171517324.jpg (192 KB, 650x900)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>16800446
In my mind I always affiliate dinosaurs with the sin of pride. I think it's because I subconsciously associate them with nephilim and titans who challenged Heaven because of their sheer size, and got punished with flood/lightning from the sky. Very much like how dinosaurs were giant animals who destroyed the environment with their overeating, and were in turn destroyed by the meteor shower from the skies
>>
>>16800773
A dinosaur appears in the Book of Job
>>
>>16800920
Based Dinochad
>>
>>16800446
>palaeontology and its claimants hold up to no serious scrutiny.
Wrong
>>
>>16801238
/X/
>>
>>16800477
Not only can they talk, they can also walk.
>>
>>16800920
I've noticed that those who are into "crystal healing" don't care about geology in the slightest, and often buy fake fused quartz glass cut into crystal shapes.

Those who are into astrology have no interest in the night sky or universe except for how they think it revolves around them.

Creationists have no interest in biology or paleontology. They don't give a shit about the subject matter they have such big opinions about.
>>
>>16800446
>Science has become a god
Invalidates your whole post, it just proves you have an axe to grind. Also you posted no specific examples.
>>
>>16801053
This is such a bad fake they don't disturb the water, leave paw prints or kick up sand when running
>>
>>16801238
>big lizard exists millions of years ago
>woah these creatures were so sinfull a d evil
Schizofrenia
>>
>>16801053
These are just lemurs or whatever running backward
>>
>>16801599
This is the most hilarious post I've seen today. Watch the video backwards retard
>>
>>16801613
>play this video backward to reveal secret satanic messages!
not falling for that one, /x/ schizo
>>
>>16800735
The soft tissue is sort of fossilized as well from a similar process, it’s also trapped deep inside the fossilized bone. It’s not like you’re pulling wet meat off a dinosaur bone.
>>
Fossils aren't bones you fucking bloated retard
Fossilized impressions of soft tissue are made of rock
Go climb the biggest parking structure in your rotting suburb and jump off the top
>>
>>16801682
Depends on the fossil tho tbqh
>>
No, there are no fossils that are bones
If there were, they would be bones
not fossils
if you gacked yourself today your mother would be losing weight, singing songs to herself and getting plowed by dudes from Tinder by thanksgiving
>>
The current wave of anti intellectualism in the US is pretty worrisome, because its at a crucial moment where places like China are pushing forward on education, right as the space age seems to be starting up. I also think that in contrast to popular opinion, sometimes you cant really do your own research. It is not realistic for one person to have PhD knowledge in every field they find interesting, at some point you have to default to experts or consensus.
>>
>>16800446
Exactly how many megafuanal dinosaur forgeries are there? Of the known non-megafaunal forgeries, how many are created from real dinosaur or dinosaur-like fossils?
>>
We do know a good deal about dinosaur behavior and appearance from their closest living relatives alligators and birds.
>>
>>16802147
>Exactly how many megafuanal dinosaur forgeries are there?
None
>>
>>16802175
Exactly.
>>
>>16800446
>Seriously, is this topic too taboo? Science has become a God
Go complain about that on /sci/ then.
>>>/sci/
>>
File: raeldinosaur.png (249 KB, 546x768)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
trust me this totally existed 100 million years ago
>>
>>16800446
Too many cranks, too little time. Get it published in peer-review then we'll talk.
>>
>>16800446
Well, it's becoming more and more common place to think of them as ancestors to birds / big birds, rather than lizards. But you're right. It's only such a mess because of the partial remains that the picture is pieced together from.
>>
>>16802882
>trust me, this totally existed 100 years ago
>>
>>16801603
I think the mythical stories of giants are just an ancient genetic memory of dinosaurs
>>
>>16800480
Indeed, this is something Jurassic Park played on, especially in the book, giving the dinosaurs features we wouldn't know about like the Dilophosaurus spitting poison.
>>
>>16803431
That's an elephant skull.
>>
>>16803011
Theropods were related to birds however sauropods (ie. most herbivorous dinos) have no close living relatives so less is known about them.
>>
>>16802167
> alligators

Anon, I...
>>
>>16803526
Elephants have two eyes.
>>
>>16801294
Now this is goalpost moving
>>
>>16801806
The problem is knowing which experts are honest and knowledgeable and which are bought by jews like the sacklers.
>>
File: chudasaurus.png (76 KB, 866x763)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>THE GENUSES ARE FUSING
>THE PLAYABLE MODS ARE UPDATING
>THE STUDIES ARE CONFLICTING
>THE ARTISTRY'S DYING
>ACCURACY'S DEPLETING
>THE THEORIES ARE OUTDATING
>THE MEDIA'S MISREPRESENTING
>THE SCENES ARE DISSAPOINTING
>THE DESIGNS ARE DEGRADING
>THE CONTROVERSIES ARE PILING UP
>THE DEPICTIONS ARE BORING
>THE FOSSILS ARE LACKING
> THE DATA IS NOT ENOUGH
> THE FEATHERS ARE RECEDING
>THE LIPS ARE DISSAPEARING
>PALEONTOLOGY HAS FALLEN

it's over but i'll still like dinosaurs tommorow

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.