[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some other examples with several thousand participants, where one side has modern rifles and artillery, whereas the other side has melee weapons and at most matchlocks?

I find these types of battles/wars completely astonishing. I have no idea how the side with melee and matchlock can keep the morale to even launch repeated attacks and actually engage in a pitched battle rather than routing after the first go. The Donghak at Uguemnchi were charging UPHILL with spears against gatling guns, for crying out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOqlomoTDC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPZPAupTug
>>
File: eh_n0660_p01.jpg (796 KB, 1400x1050)
796 KB
796 KB JPG
>>16800762
The Donghak revolt was much like the Boxer rebellion where peasants put mythic charms on their chests to get missed by salvos. The Donghak themselves also had muskets and were likely assaulting with counter musket tactics. (like pushing giant wicker storages and palisades into the enemy) They did that earlier in the year and managed to rush the Korean lines (with Remington rolling blocks)
>>
>>16800762
I don’t know that it would qualify as a pitched battle but this kind of thing happened in Afghanistan during the colonial period, as well as during Lawrence of Arabia’s campaigns.
>>
Indian Wars in North America were wild for seeing stone age people go up against muskets and cannon. The Indians adapted pretty quick, though, and the fact that Europeans tried to use tribes against one another meant they got access to European weapons faster than they might've otherwise, and were all too happy to use them against Europeans, though in their own way, without European military theory.

Indian warfare shaped the North American conception of what war was like. Small roving bands attacking settlements and skirmishing in the hinterland. Raids on camps and forts, rather than large pitched battles. Part of this is because Indian confederations didn't have proper armies, so leaders could rarely amass a war party larger than a few hundred men, though it did happen on a few occasions.
>>
>>16800897
>Boxer rebellion
Forgot about that one. Didn't some of the boxers have modern rifles, though? I'm pretty sure by 1900 the Qing forces did.
>The Donghak themselves also had muskets and were likely assaulting with counter musket tactics.
These are the matchlocks I mentioned, and while they had some, to my knowledge the overwhelming majority of them carried bamboo spears.

Also, are you Korean? Are you able to read this? >>>/wsr/1472438
>>
>>16804133
>These are the matchlocks I mentioned, and while they had some, to my knowledge the overwhelming majority of them carried bamboo spears.

Im saying thats likely the reason they weren't as afraid to commit an assault against superior firepowers because they already knew the limitation of handheld firearms of the day.

Also no sorry i can only read the Hangul.
>>
File: Opium War.jpg (143 KB, 372x1022)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>16800762
I agree with you OP, it's really interesting seeing these types of battles as it shows the inevitable transition from the old way of life to our modern way of life. Also I watched the second video and I wanna know why did the Tibetans stay loyal to the Qing, especially considering the dynasty was on its last legs.

Either way I do have an example. It's not really modern rifles and artillery, but the first and second opium wars are a good example. Britain had caplock muskets, the latest artillery, steamboat ships, and experienced fighters as well. China had spears, bows, matchlock muskets, lamellar armor, and tons of unexperienced fighters. It was a hugely one sided war.

>>16800897
>where peasants put mythic charms on their chests to get missed by salvos
This is why I don't think none of us will ever be able to understand the pre-modern life and mindset. You can say all the shit you want about people today, but almost none of them will genuinely believe that they have some supernatural protection due to some ritual they performed prior to some major event. The belief in the supernatural and the idea that rituals provided some mystical enchantment were extremely important to almost all societies prior to the Industrial Revolution.
>>
>>16804632
>Koreans: "Learn Korean history!"
>Also Koreans: Can't read their own history
>>
>>16807239
>This is why I don't think none of us will ever be able to understand the pre-modern life and mindset. You can say all the shit you want about people today, but almost none of them will genuinely believe that they have some supernatural protection due to some ritual they performed prior to some major event. The belief in the supernatural and the idea that rituals provided some mystical enchantment were extremely important to almost all societies prior to the Industrial Revolution.
There are numerous conflicts Sub-Saharan Africa in the Cold War and even after that have this sort of thing. Some from the '90s and early 2000s, like Liberia and Sierra Leone if I recall.
There's still places where they execute witches for stealing men's penises in West Africa.
>>
>>16807248
You are correct and I forgot to mention that. In certain places that are really impoverished such as some parts of Africa or India, they do believe in such things. But in much of the world now the belief in the supernatural no longer plays such a dominant role. You can see such evident changes amongst East Asians 100 years ago to nowadays.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.