[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7592.jpg (119 KB, 962x668)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Why have no billionaires tried to create an independent city state in the ocean on some oil rig or something?

>get personal tax haven
>can conduct science not sanctioned in places like the USA (stem cell research, cloning etc)
>elite tourism industry with hotel section
>place to offer asylum to rich who are persecuted
>can hire small professional private military to keep peace and protect from outsiders

Whenever this happens, it’s always a relatively poor person taking some disused shithole just off the coast or building one. So it either ends with them failing because their structure is falling apart, or the nearest government raiding them because they’re promoting criminality

I doubt a western government would want to have to muster a genuine military attack on one of these. It would be a terrible look.

Worst I can imagine is some Waco-in the sea scenario where they claim they must attack the oil rig to save the children or something, but in the modern day with livestreams and such, the people on board would not be cut off and it would be easy to show the truth
>>
>>16804402
probably because any serious attempt would bankrupt said billionare, and even assuming it doesn't no government would recognize it so they would still have to pay taxes, and since most of their income would still be in various states it wouldn't be that hard to either force them to pay or freeze their shit, then the city itself would never be profitable since you can't have any type of industry there beyond a very short live tourism one of other richfags who would get bored quickly since there really ins't much to do there
>>
>>16804410
Exactly. The question presupposed that billionaires are being persecuted (lol), where in reality their lives are extremely carefree. Why would they want to leave a society where they have ALL the privilege and NO responsibility?
>>
>>16804402
It's been tried.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasteading
>>
>>16804402
There's already tax havens
>>
>>16804402
Because the rich and powerful already live comfortable lives so there is no need. Also they can't really decouple themselves from the global economy if they want to remain rich.
>>
>>16804431
That’s the opposite of what OP said. Those aren’t billionaires, it’s just a bunch of poor people on poorly built infrastructure from WW2
>>
>>16804402
International law doesn't usually allow for new state creation outside of colonial contexts, and even when it does, you need to have an actual, physical territory on dry land that you did not artificially create. An oil rig doesn't qualify.
>>
>>16804402
>tax haven
they already have pacific islands for that. no need for an obvious example of tax evasion
>unsanctioned research
it would be leaked or conspiracy theories would happen immediately. better to use the cover of corrupt governments or just do it in secret.
>tourism
idk
>persecuted rich
corrupt countries can be used for that
>private military
ok
>>
>>16804402
This is my fantasy, I often dream about living in some waterworld in the future and having my own oil rig nation. Basically just me and half-a-dozen or so wimmen, maybe some fat nerd who I can keep as a slave so he maintains things for me in return for an hour a day playing on his Switch. What a life
>>
>>16804402
the fact that you need to ask tells me your heavily brainletted
>>
>>16804421
The question presupposes that billionaires can do whatever they want without incurring in losses or interest conflict with the state.
>>
>>16804402
>>16804627
Have you played Bioshock? It wouldn't end well.
>>
>>16804645
the state cant stop you from doing things that they dont know about
maintain privacy, pay off the right people, and you can do anything within some very expansive bounds of reason
>>
>>16804402
completely unsustainable
you cant source repairs on site, all your food needs to be shipped in, you have very few amenities once there, the sea is not a pleasant place to be long term, no health care, miles and hours away from anything important or even the ability to get to anywhere worthwhile, and seawater corrodes metal so it wont last for very long anyways
the scenario you have given us would be more like a prison than a paradise, OP
and, it would be prohibitively expensive
>>
>>16804402
A small private army will not keep them safe from invading armies.
>>
>>16804402
why the fuck would they
>>
they just bribe an existing government to do hat shit
look at the Panama papers, for instance

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.