[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1709190129017711.jpg (184 KB, 1084x658)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
I was reading an article about dune and the Author mentioned how westerners can't conceptualize martyrdom

Is this true? Do most westerners not have any sort of mythical or religious beliefs surrounding the idea of dying for a great cause
>>
The closest thing to a martyr most people currently living in the West will ever know about is George Floyd.
>>
>>16806694
Western society is deeply entrenched in individualism and materialism, which often leads to a lack of profound understanding of martyrdom. The notion of sacrificing oneself for a higher cause or belief system does not align with their cultural values and perspective.
>>
>>16806765
Im being honest

Do Europeans have any values close to martyrdom seen in orientalist cultures
>>
>>16806771
No, and that's a good thing. You shouldnt want to die for your cause, killing for it is far better and non cucked. Bug men will never understand that due to being low t
>>
>>16806778
If your family were trapped and you could hold off attackers by blocking the door with your body

Would you do it ?
>>
>>16806771
In the religious sense? Probably up till the Enlightenment era
In the political/national sense? Probably up till around the 1970s
People used to see the idea of dying for one's country as something worthy of respect till the idea of war became associated with needless sacrifice and killing became seen as utterly pointless under all circumstances. I'd say it was really the 1960s and the Civil Rights movement/Vietnam War protests that made people think of all forms of violence as not only evil but even utterly pointless. Before the Vietnam War, there had of course been pacificists and anti-war activists, but I would say that the idea of a war hero, a martyr for a just cause was totally annihilated in the minds of Western people by the 1960s/1970s.
>>
>>16806784
I own a gun because im not a cucked bug like you. I’d gladly and quickly will kill the intruder no questions asked, just like nature intended
>>
>>16806820
Let's say you didn't own the gun

Would you put down your life for your family
>>
>>16806828
Stop trying to guide that anon into a logical trap by creating a strawman fantasy.
>>
>>16806830
Not that anon, but he could simply say
>Yeah, I'd be willing to die for my family if there were no other recourse to save them
or
>No, I wouldn't die for them because I don't think my family's life is more important than my own life.
>>
>>16806828
>Let's say you didn't own the gun
That would make me a leftist cuckold, which means I would happily accept dying for their cultural enrichment, and probably beg to save me for last so I can watch them rape and murder my family before it's my turn to die.
>>
>>16806840
He's too much of a bitch to say it >>16806847
If they owned guns too and there were multiple of them

Would you tell your family to get away as you fought to your death with your gun
>>
File: IMG_0731.jpg (141 KB, 750x936)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>16806850
I keep 4 spare mags and a doubled up lvl 3 + lvl 4 plate holder by them, i’m killing them. Nice try cuck but not everyone is a fag like you
>>
>>16806694
Yes, obviously, what are you on about?
>>
>>16806921
Well proof of it then ?
>>
>>16806850
I would kill an infinite number of you, easily, while smiling.
>>
>>16806925
literaly every time theres a war or a disasteer or some political shit going on, we just dont call them martyrs so much, most often the word used is heros
>>
>>16806887
If you didn't have breakfast yesterday, how would you feel?
>>
>>16806694
Most of Europe believes that Jesus martyred himself so we can be saved from eternal damnation due to our sins.
>>
>>16806934
Do Europeans have any people equivalent to kamikaze pilots or suicide bombers

People who go out and do mission with in mind they will
Die
>>
>>16806957
Leftists happily allow themselves to get murdered by the clinically retarded third world rapists they import, I guess that's kinda like that
>>
>>16806945
Ready to kill, if you choose to die because you want my shitty stuff then so be it. But cope more insect
>>
>>16806957
From time to time depending on how bad things get, yes, everione has those, people going in knowing theyr chances are null, people staying in knowing they will all be killed but not surrendering till the last, its a normal thing in wars and other crisis, naval laws practicaly dictate it in certain situations, even fucking firefighters have codes about it, its usualy got something to do with duty and group belonging
>>
>>16806945
Well presumably I had 5 other meals by now, so I wouldn't feel like a nigger.
>>
>>16806957
Yes, the Japanese had kamikaze pilots, lunge mines, banzai charges and holdouts.
>but Japanese aren't Eur-
Honorary Aryans according to Hitler.
>>
>>16806694
>>16806771
When you say "Europeans", do you mean the modern atheistical social democrats of the 20th and 21st centuries? If so, than the answer is unequivocally no.
If you mean "Europeans" generally and historically, then you are so ludicrously ignorant as to the history of the West that the fact you get your opinions from 1960s Science Fiction writers renders the magnitude of your idiocy self-explanatory.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.