[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Besides churches being built to face the fising sun what elements of archaic sun worship has survived into modern christianity?
>>
>>16808382
Churches are all oriented towards the east, just like those the ancient temples of the sun worshippers. They're still using candles and incense in church, just like they used to do in those old sun worship rituals. And don't even get me started on Christmas and Easter - those holidays are straight up descended from sun worship festivals.
>>
>>16808382
>>16808397
Churches face east because that is where Christ will return from in His second coming.
>>
>>16808382
>>16808397

When there was no electricity you needed as much light as was available.
>>
>>16808580
And christmas is celebrated the same day the romans celebrated solstice because christ was born that day that day
>>
>>16808615
Debunked:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgzjwy51kU
TL;DW Sol Invictus had multiple holidays throughout the year, only one happening somewhere in December, and it's more likely that the followers of Sol Invictus moved it up to coincide with Christmas deliberately in order to compete with Christianity, which was growing in popularity.
>>
>>16808626
Said nothing about sol invictus
>>
>>16808382
God really fucking hates it.

>He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? You will see things that are even more detestable than this.”

>He then brought me into the inner court of the house of the Lord, and there at the entrance to the temple, between the portico and the altar, were about twenty-five men. With their backs toward the temple of the Lord and their faces toward the east, they were bowing down to the sun in the east.

>He said to me, “Have you seen this, son of man? Is it a trivial matter for the people of Judah to do the detestable things they are doing here? Must they also fill the land with violence and continually arouse my anger? Look at them putting the branch to their nose! Therefore I will deal with them in anger; I will not look on them with pity or spare them. Although they shout in my ears, I will not listen to them.”
Ezekiel 8:15-18
>>
>>16808677
So you agree?
>>
>>16808756
So why did they put it right around the solistice?
>>
>>16808778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgzjwy51kU&t=2250s
TL;DW: Some weird Jewish calculation fuckery, plus they probably used the natural event of the solstice as a symbol for the birth of Jesus, but this was done indepdendently of any pagan influence, early Christians had just as much access to the natural world as everyone else, so likewise they imbued nature with their own Christian symbolism.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.