[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 608px-trismegistos.jpg (128 KB, 608x480)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
So hermeticism is basically a giant meme right?
>The corpus hermetica was written after the Christian texts, and borrows from them and neo platonism heavily (God is a shepherd, he has a son through whom he made the world, even logos gets mentioned... This is all in the first chapter alone)
>The most ancient hermetic documents, meaning the ones that, if we're being generous, may have been written by someone named Hermes or whoever invented Hermes, are just a bunch of treatises on alchemy and magic spells
>The even more recent bits like the kybalion are total works of imagination that probably don't have anything to do with Hermes (or whoever invented him) actual teachings
>>
File: meme.png (16 KB, 648x293)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>16809506
Is it?
>>
>>16809517
Ok I'll rephrase
So the corpus hermetica is basically bullshit right?
>>
>>16809524
Sounds like that's the conclusion you're hoping to come to. You're unlikely to find anyone on /his/ that has read it.
The Kybalion is generally regarded as being non-Hermetic.
>>
>>16809548
On the contrary, I wanted to believe it, but left my studying of it disappointed

But I have to phrase my posts negatively to bait responses. Just trying to invoke Cunninghams law.
>>
>>16809506
>Christian texts, and borrows from them and neo platonism heavily (God is a shepherd, he has a son through whom he made the world, even logos gets mentioned... This is all in the first chapter alone)
Bullshit. Logos is a normal word in greek philosophy. Noone would have associated it with goycattles. Instead the hermetica extensively mentions Thoth and other deities.
>>
>>16809561
You might find some value in proceeding "as if." Something many Christians do—unknowingly—and yet interesting things can happen.
>>
>>16809583
>Instead the hermetica extensively mentions Thoth and other deities.
It's too bad that the origin of the document has nothing to do with Egypt, outside of shallow cultural references
>>
>>16809591
Don't know what exactly you mean, but it sounds like some law of attraction "if you try hard enough, maybe it'll be true" type of shit
Studying placebo effects has made me more interested in this idea, but I don't want to outright gaslight myself if I think I hold good reasons to believe (or not believe) something
Would much rather study the neo platonists at this point rather than hermeticism. The latter feels like a trend that happened to stand on some impressive shoulders, rather than being worthy of study on its own merit (but it's fun, I'll admit)
>>
>>16809506
Probably the Hermetica borrowed from from a text from which Christianity borrowed as well, as it already did.
There are text ascribed to Hermes centuries before Christianity, so no it is not a meme.
>>
>>16809722
>There are text ascribed to Hermes centuries before Christianity, so no it is not a meme.
>The most ancient hermetic documents, meaning the ones that, if we're being generous, may have been written by someone named Hermes or whoever invented Hermes, are just a bunch of treatises on alchemy and magic spells
>>
>>16809506
Where does Order of Nine Angles come in?
>>
>>16809761
>bunch of treatises on alchemy and magic spells
And astrology, these practices had philosophical connotations that were related to religious belief.
>>
>>16809857
Well alright, can you point me towards a pre-christian hermetic document that you consider worthy of reading on its own philosophical or religious merit?
>>
I guess not :/

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.