[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How did Athens become hands down the UGLIEST capital city in all of Europe?

It's quite insulting that the birthplace of western civilization is so trashy
>>
first thing i saw in naples was a pile of trash
>>
Is that picture cherrypicked or is Athens really that hideous?

I've never been to Greece but other parts of Greece seem to be beautiful
>>
>>16810414
Uuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm sweaty??????????? Turkey is african
>>
>>16810436
Istanbul mogs Athens in every way imaginable
>>
File: Athens-Greece.jpg (154 KB, 1024x683)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>16810414
obvious difference in photo saturation
>>
>>16810436
>Turkey is african
But cleaner than Greece
>>
>>16810414
Athens was a backwater ever since the Spartans fleeced them in the polypenasian war. They then were under the boots of various states, from Macedon to Rome to Turks before finally being free. If history had gone differentlynI think Constantinople would have been the Greek capital but it is what it is.
>>
>>16810444
>Istanbul mogs Athens in every way imaginable
After all you stole it
>>
>>16810414
Istanbul was built by Christians but Muzzies took over. The beauty from the Christian era remains.
>>
>>16810576
Muslims never took athens
>>
>>16810414
They were so utterly buck broken by the Ottomans that they never recovered
>>
File: 3n6H23D.png (75 KB, 838x982)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>16810572
>larps as Hellene
>larps as Macedonian
>larps as Roman
>claims Constantinople
>in reality is some mystery meat Aromanian-Slavic balkanlar dweller
many such cases
>>
>>16810414
I was there last summer and while yeah some sectors are kind of run down the city is absolutley beautiful and charming and you are just some fat American tourist tier idiot
>>
>>16810422
Cherrypicked. There's some places like Omonia which are run down, infested with immigrants and drug use, but there are sectors of the city which are absolutley stunning. Google monastiraki and plaka neighborhoods as a starting point.
>>
>>16810444
>Greek city we stole is better than this other Greek city we didn't steal
>>
>>16810722
>Greek city
literally founded by an Illyrian who spoke Latin
>we stole
Mehmet did it a favor. The inept byzzies had neglected it so much it was falling apart. They could not even maintain what a higher civilization had left them.
>>
>>16810422
Athens is terrible. But there's also a roach here trying to cope when saying that Constantinople was great precisely because it's not Turkish.
>>
>>16810422
It's more that the others are cherry picked to show the best of the other cities. Most of Athens does look like that, as other cities in Mediterranean countries, but obviously there is a more beautiful part .
>>
>>16810422
It is cherrypicked, but Athens is pretty ugly. I went to Rome first and it blew my American mind. I'd never seen a city that beautiful before. Then we go to Athens and it looks not too dissimilar from an ugly American city.
>but other parts of Greece seem to be beautiful
I've only been through the Peloponnese, but it is beautiful. Enough to more than make up for Athens.
>>
>>16811885
Athens grew like an infernal commieblock shithole post 70s.
Even up to late 70s-early 80s it was much better.
>>
>>16810414
Birthplace of western civilization is Miletus.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.