[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

You're the ruler of a nascent Slavic state in the year 900 AD, and you have decided that paganism is a meme and you have to adopt a real religion. The choice is Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Islam. Which one will you choose?
>>
>>16881578
Tibetan Buddhism
>>
you can have islam or vodka, not both
>>
Christianity because its a much less violent religion and emphasizes divine authority of kings more than islam but since I don't want to submit to the pope probably orthodoxy
>>
>>16881599
Do you think the pope in Constantinople won't anathemize you?
>>
Vladimir the Great had it figured out desu
>if you become Jewish you can't eat pork
>if you become Muslim you can't eat pork *or* drink
>if you become Catholic you can't marry a Byzantine princess to legitimize your rule
Orthodoxy ez
>>
>>16881606
The orthodox have autocephalous national churches and patriarchs don't concern themselves with earthly disputes
>>
>>16881625
You joke but some people might actually believe it.
>>
>>16881630
Show me an example of the patriarch of constantinople anathemizing a king of another nation because of a war or something of the sorts
>>
>>16881578
EZ.
I go Muslim and get 3 more wives.
>>
>>16881636
You just reminded me of the ottomans harem system in eu4.
>>
>>16881634
Russia Ukraine schism
Orthodox churches are the most nationalistic of the Churches, if they aren't infiltrated by the KGB or what not.
>>
>>16881652
That's 1022 years after my choosing of orthodoxy and it was not the patriarch of contantinople.
>>
>>16881578
Jainism
>>
>>16881578

>the religion of the enslavers of my people who then castrate them and turn them into eunuchs.
>the religions of the people where my castrated people are sold to be eunuchs.

If I were a pagan ruler, I’d die fighting with my religion.
>>
>>16881578
Where do I live? If I live next to the Carolingians I would be Catholic and the biggest Carolingian superfan so I don't get obliterated. If I live more East I'd be Orthodox
>>
>>16881724
Poles did exactly this and they were gone by the 19th century.
>>
>>16881724
If you were near the Catholic carolingians, they would not convert your people and do everything in their power to deter it. They would not be able to enslave your people if you were Christian.
>>
>>16881625
topkek
>>
>>16881737
The Carolingians actively supported peoples coverting to Christianity though
>>
>>16881750
Not if you were a Slavic pagan. There was a lucrative slave trade going on and the Slavs were the source.
>>
File: tradition.gif (2.77 MB, 538x334)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB GIF
>>16881578
>no Judaism
Jewish slavic empire would be tippy top kino
>>
>>16881757
Why did the Carolingians try to convert their Slavic neighbours then?
>>
>>16881779
Which ones. There’s a reason the land east of the Elbe is German and not Slavic. They failed at converting them and some didn’t want to convert them. There can also be competing parties as well. There were faithful Christians that tried to convert the Slavs but they lost out to factions that wanted to continue the slave trade and German settlement eastward.
>>
>>16881750
>>16881757
>>16881779
>>16881797
IIRC the margraves were the ones who perpetually kept stirring up shit so they could keep raiding and enslaving heathens for a good profit (and keep their status as a march) while there were bishops and zealot preachers who genuinely tried to make them convert.
>>
>>16881578
I'm Polish. Should be Islam, it's the true religion.
>>
>>16881797
There isn't that much relation between conversions and disappearance of slavic groups east of Elbe. For instance Hobolans were turned into a footnote of history very quickly despite early submission and conversion while some of the north-western groups managed to keep their language alive until 30-years war(to completely die out in the 18th century) despite later conversion. Obviously language isn't everything but it's some sort of approximation.
>>
File: 1696759102648761.jpg (90 KB, 800x892)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>16881719
It doesn't make sense to stay pagan after you travel to Constantinople and see for yourself what it's like to have a skyjew temple in your settlement. You go for a raid and those Christians always have organized centers revolving around a church, they have extremely progressive fortifications. How do you get all this? It only makes sense to subscribe to this ideology.
Vladimir the Great did it exactly for this reason. Prior to Christianity princes had to manually, on their own, walk around their entire realm and extort goods from all men. Sure, there were already proto-boyars and designated collectors appeared after Igor got shanked after demanding too much. But building a humongous white stone Christian temple was the ultimate expression of power and wealth at the time, when just a few miles away peasants were working with, I don't know, sticks and rocks. Once you witness it, you start believing in its righteousness. Once you witness the wealth and development of nearby lands that collection of tithe generates, you won't want anything else. Your lord, your Church, your God, that exotic rich Greek metropolitan that came to your land to bless it and to bless your lord. Praise be them all.
>>
>>16881578
Dumb premise, Paganism is best. You're a jew slave if you disagree.
>>
File: your kipah.png (756 KB, 826x1002)
756 KB
756 KB PNG
>>16881578
There are no "real" religions.
My people will believe in scientific method
>>
>>16881578
islamic slav nation would be crusaded back to hell, teutonic knights already didn't have any issues fighting and killing catholics and orthodox slavs, now imagine if they were muslims
>>
>>16881774
>Jewish slavic empire
the US and Israel exist
>>
>>16881578
Catholicism, obviously. Orthodox = corrupt shitholes, Islam = hell on earth
>>
>>16882173
>It doesn't make sense to stay pagan after you travel to Constantinople
If I’m a Slavic pagan and I’m in Constantinople, I’m most likely there because I was sold to the royal court to be a eunuch. Why would I convert to the religion of the people that castrated me and made me a slave? Pretty buildings would mean nothing.
>>
>>16882862
Because Greeks were interested in seeing a new ally in your realm in place of Khazars, that's why they approached you for better trade cooperation.
>>
>>16882862
When it comes to the Balkan Slavs, most got their autonomy and a way to co-exist within the empire due to being too unruly to handle otherwise
>>
>>16881757
The Slavs weren't the primary source - but the most sought-after possession. The most common European quarry in Northeastern Europe were the Finns and the Chudes, whereas in Western Europe - the Irish and the Scottish. During the height of the Saqaliba phenomenon, only several thousand were present in each of the caliphates, and even then, the term itself referred to all Northern, Eastern, and Northeastern Europeans regardless of their origin.

>I’m most likely there because
Because you're an Asia Minor military colonist, which the vast majority of Slavs in Asia Minor were.

>Castrated me
The Radanites in Prague and the Romans had only castrated the most intelligent of the men, and in the Caliphates, only those who refused conversion were castrated.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.