[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I took mostly German morphology and grammar, mixed it with mostly English phonology and orthography by using existing or constructed cognates from our common Germanic base of morphemes and created this text:

https://vocaroo.com/17MXAPgmnX3b

Comes mid, I worth you our Hoons teach! In them Yard haven we an holten Town upystelled, yet haven we an great Yhaw for our Hoons. We haven nare three Hens and they lain fast three Eyren om Day, aver an Hane haven we not.

English:
Come with me, I will show you our chickens! We put up a wooden fence in the garden, now we have a big enclosure for the chickens. We only have three hens and they almost lay three eggs a day, but we don't have a rooster.

German:
Kommt mit, ich werde euch unsere Hühner zeigen! In dem Garten haben wir einen hölzernen Zaun aufgestellt, jetzt haben wir ein großes Gehege für die Hühner. Wir haben nur drei Hennen und sie legen fast drei Eier am Tag, aber einen Hahn haben wir nicht.
>>
https://vocaroo.com/1eLklJmTo2yD

When Bowers Rother and Swine slaughteden, then forsoughten they the gant Deer to forarveth. They aten also not nare that, what the broad Befolkering hedetoday mid Forlove eatst, sunder eke the inneries, why Heart, Lung, Harns, Liver, Maw, Neer and Tung. Over the Time has se ownce for this Arveth a Beroof unwickled, and tware that thes Fleshers. In the Fleshery wirs now all unliefsome to Wirst forarvethed.

English:
When farmers slaughtered cattle and pigs, they tried to process the whole animal. This meant that they not only ate what the general public nowadays prefer to eat, but also the innards, such as the heart, lungs, brain, liver, stomach, kidneys and tongue. Over time, a profession has developed specifically for this work, namely that of the butcher. In the butcher's shop, everything unpleasant is now processed into sausage.

German:
Wenn Bauern Rinder und Schweine schlachteten, dann versuchten sie das ganze Tier zu verarbeiten. Sie aßen also nicht nur das, was die breite Bevölkerung heutzutage mit Vorliebe isst, sondern auch die Innereien, wie Herz, Lunge, Hirn, Leber, Magen, Niere und Zunge. Über die Zeit hat sich eigens für diese Arbeit ein Beruf entwickelt, und zwar der des Fleischers. In der Fleischerei wird nun alles unliebsame zu Wurst verarbeitet.
>>
https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice/110/docs/uncleftish-beholding.html
>>
They would speak to horses, ironic considering english horse like teeth
>>
without french influence, the letter y couldn't be introduced as it is today.
as a possibility,

>>16882074
>you, yard, yet, yhaw, they, eyren, day
jou, geard, jet, jaw, thej, egren, dag
>>16882076
>they, hedetoday, why, fleshery
thej, hedetodag, whij, flesherie
>>
>>16882133
I wasn't aware that the letter y was introduced by the French, but my plan was to keep the modern English orthography anyway, as I intended it to be an experiment as to how much German grammar and morphology an anglophone might understand if the different phonology and orthography weren't in the way, hence why I wrote "ownce" with -ce as the adverbial ending, as in hence, whence, thence, instead of -s, which also is clearly a French influence, but thinking about how the orthography might have developed differently is also an interesting thought worth exploring.
>>
Bump
>>
>>16882074
rare quality post, we need more language autism
>>
>>16882074
why is it worth for werden? wert(German worth) is not related to werden, isn't it?
>>
Look into Anglish
>>
>>16882076
>>16882074
don't model the grammar too much after modern German, we had many formations and words that were more similar to English in the past.
>When bowers slaughteden rothes and swine, forsoughten they to forarveth the gant deer

also roth could also be the head of the cattle, cattle would be 'fee'
>>
>>16882983
It actually is!
Worth (verb, obsolete) and werden are from PWG *werþan, which became weorþan in OE
Worth and Wert are from PWG *werþaz, which became weorþ in OE.
>>
>>16883004
Heard of it, but they are doing something entirely different
>>
>>16883017
>don't model the grammar too much after modern German
This is my very intent as explained here >>16882175, but I would like to know more about the earlier iterations of the English language in the future. Right now I'm focusing on modelling German from an English clay so to say.
>>
>>16882074
I looked into Old English and Middle High German a bit, those old Germanic languages were wild. Every word seems like a blend of two or more words. Everything gets glued together in unique ways, one sentence is like no other. The set of possible word combinations and possible sentence structures was much bigger. The conjugations were diverse and confusing. Negations worked different, there were many possible particles and combinations, today you just have 'not' in English and 'net/nicht' in German

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.