[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why took so long to invent the bicycle?
You can't convince me the technology wasn't there for at least 500 years.
>>
>>16885819
because it really wasn't there until relatively recently, even the simple shit required early modern tech to mkae a bike work properly
>>
>>16885819
There weren't enough decent roads for the kind of shitty bike people in ye olden days could build.
>>
>>16885819
Bicycles need interchangeable parts to be reliable
>>
>>16885819
>You can't convince me the technology wasn't there for at least 500 years.
so the thread is pointless. why don't you simply go away?
>>
>>16885819
>no machinery for milling the chain and shock absorbing coil
>no rubber for the tires
The technical knowledge on how these things actually function in relation to the laws of physics is what matters. They could've technically made a slamfire shotgun centuries ago, but the chemical knowledge and how to measure it would've been the biggest obstacle.
>>
Make me a bicycle chain from raw bog iron and with hand tools. I'll wait.
>>
>>16885819
Because you look gay as fuck riding it and societies used to be a lot more homophobic.
You do know how gay you look riding one of these things, right?
>>
>>16885845
>>no rubber for the tires
to be fair, they could have used timber like on the very first cars
>>
>>16885971
Yeah but the very first cars were driven on paved roads. What time era are we talking here? Riding a bike with wooden wheels on a cobblestone road is a horrible sales pitch.
>>
Go into the forest and build a bike, we'll wait here for your triumphant return.
>>
>>16885819
They're kind of counter intuitive given potential inventors might assume they're unstable with only two wheels.
>>
File: Draisine1817.jpg (165 KB, 1037x1474)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
This mf rides past on his Laufmachine and slaps your gf on the ass, what do you do? He's 6'1 and it's 1817.
>>
>>16885988

WHY SHOULD HE GO TO THE FOREST TO BUILD A BICYCLE?
>>
>>16886093
Shut the fuck up you piece of trash.
>>
>>16886093
ok build one with 1500s blacksmith technology and pedal it on 1500s cobblestone/dirt roads
>>
>>16885819
>Why didn't people just individually forge each spoke, chain link and ball bearing 500 years ago
The bicycle is a product of industrial mass production processes
>>
>meanwhile, in africa,
>>
>>16885819
wagons with horses worked well enough
>>
>>16885819
A chariot is like a bicycle.
The only difference is it don't use fossil fue.
It use horse.
>>
>>16886093
WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT POST?
>>
>>16885819
Rubber
>>
>>16886093
>>16887166
sup Juanito. still jerking off to McKenna Grace or did you lose interest last month when she turned 18?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.